November 2015 Moms

Im on bc, could I be pregnant??

Ok so I'm 8 months post-partum, and still breastfeeding my daughter. At my post-partum check up I got an iud (mirena) inserted, which was 2 months after giving birth. My 1st baby was conceived while I was using the Nuva Ring, so I know for sure bc isn't 100%. I'm having all of the same symptoms from my 1st pregnancy: headaches, terrible gas, back spasms, leg cramps, random nausea, super hunger, frequent urges to pee and (sorry tmi) lots of discharge. A new development over the last few days is a sweet odor from my vagina/discharge. I feel like somethings up but this iud is supposed to be the best bc. Also, I took a home test last wk and went to the dr, both urine tests were negative. Maybe it's too early? Maybe I should get a blood test? Maybe I'm not pregnant at all? Thoughts...?

Answers

• What did your Dr say? They probably should have given you a blood test. If it's too soon for a urine test it'll come up on a blood test. 
  • PocoHRPocoHR member
    I think if it were too early to show up on a urine test, it would also be too early to have so many symptoms, but who knows, bodies can be weird. Keep testing and check with a doctor if you're still worried! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • PocoHR said:
    I think if it were too early to show up on a urine test, it would also be too early to have so many symptoms, but who knows, bodies can be weird. Keep testing and check with a doctor if you're still worried! Good luck!
    This. I also have Mirena and I spotted one day then convinced myself that it was implantation bleeding and I was pregnant. So then I did the whole "peg everything on pregnancy" and kept trying to find symptoms. I'm not pregnant. 

While its still possible to get pregnant on Mirena, it's pretty unlikely. That being said, if you're still feeling the same and are feeling you may be pregnant, wait a week and take another test. If that one is still negative, you're probably not pregnant. 
  • I agree with @rachswi it's easy to convince yourself you're pregnant because almost anything can be a pregnancy symptom. I would wait a few days and take another test. Make sure it's a pink dye test as the blue dye are less sensitive. If you're still concerned after that you should go get a blood test. It's very unlikely to get pregnant while having an IUD, but it does happen and when it does there can be some added risk.