January 2016 Moms
Options

Formula Suggestions?

Hey all!

So I recently stopped breastfeeding (in limbo to be an egg donor! Super pumped!!!) and we are currently running on frozen milk but I know that in a while we will run out and need to switch to formula. Looking for suggestions. Bennett has mild reflux and possibly a milk protein allergy? MPA has not been proven, just talked about in passing with the ped. I currently supplement with Gerber Supplementing formula occassionally but I didnt know if any mamas had other reccomendations for other formulas that worked for them?

TIA!

Re: Formula Suggestions?

• Options
    We use Enfamil Nutrigimen. She was on it because she was colic and constipated. It has hypoallergenic proteins that are easy to digest and so small the body is unlikely to recognize them as a potential allergy. ( I copied that from the website lol) maybe it's something that will work for you. It's pricey but worth it. Good luck with everything! 
  • Options
    Our LO has reflux pretty bad, and we've had good success with Gerber Soothe.
    Another tip to helping with the reflux--especially if you were nursing until recently--is paced feeding. It made our baby girl go from 4-hour-screaming-in-pain-colic to the occasional spit up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used Nutramigen as well.  We began using it around 5 weeks up until almost 4 months. It actually became too broken down for him and it was making causing him to have diarrhea. A lot of babies do not need to be on that formula for an extended period of time.  We now use Gentlease and it has been working fine. Nutramigen is pricey, but my Pedi. gave us sample cans when we went in for checkups, yours might be able to do that, especially if you're interested in trying out a formula before stocking up and spending $ on it yourself.

Also, if you sign up on Enfamil's website, Similac does this too, not sure about Gerber, you will begin getting $5 off coupons for cans of formula. It helps, considering most places never put the stuff on sale. 
  • Options
    I think this really depends on your LO. We were using Enfamil Infant but our LO had eczema that was driving him nuts and soy formula didn't help (major diarrhea) so the Pedi suggested we try Nutramigen. The eczema has about cleared up but it's expensive. We also got some sample cans, the $5 coupons and a couple other offers through the Nutramigen savings thing but it's still more costly than the other formulas.
    I agree with @teachmegs817 that it's not usually on sale but a couple times I have found an offer at Babies R Us that gives you a $10 gift card if you spend so much on formula, Nutramigen included. 

Has your LO had any reactions to the Gerber? 
    Good luck with the egg donation! :-)