November 2016 Moms

Panic Attacks

For the past two weeks, and now at 21 weeks, I have been waking up at 2am every night feeling like my throat is closing up, my chest tightens, and I can't breathe. The littlest thing can set me off, like my hands swelling up and being unable to take my wedding ring off. I'll immediately go into panic. Or if something itches and I can't get it to stop itching, I'll go into panic. Or if my bedroom feels overly stuffy (even though I have two fans going. Keep in mind this only happens in the middle of the night, and not at all during the day.) During the day, luckily a coworker has a few fans around that I sit in front of, which helps me breathe in case I go into another panic, which luckily, I haven't during the day.

So I told the last dr. I saw about this and she put me on 25mg of Zoloft (Sertraline). I was uneasy about taking more medicine during my pregnancy, but figured it would be better for my daughter that I actually take care of it and allow myself to breathe right during the night.

Is anyone else on anxiety meds? Has anyone else had panic attacks that normally don't since you got pregnant? 

Re: Panic Attacks

• KRMcDKRMcD member
    I'm sorry you're having panic attacks, but good for you for taking steps to curb them.  You're right, it's better for your daughter that you take care of it.  *hugs*
  • So unfortunately it takes 4-6 weeks for full efficacy of sertraline. You can take half dose Benadryl in the meantime until it's working to help with acute attacks (12.5-25mg). Benadryl is pregnancy class B FYI. 

I would also make sure they've double checked your thyroid function. 

And it's definitely better to survive the pregnancy emotionally intact, by meds if necessary.