Cloth Diapering

FTM first time cloth questions, please help!

Are prefolds paired with covers too bulky? Like would I be able to fit my newborns pants on him? I am getting GMD prefolds, Rumparooz newborn covers, Best Bottoms one size, and Blueberry Capri one size. 

Can you get moconium out of prefold, and is the worry just about staining or is it like super sticky and won't come off at all?

Will rumparooz newborn covers come below the umbilical cord?

Can you use cloth with baby who was circumcised or do you have to wait for it to heal?

Do you use cloth when you go out for more than a couple of hours? I really don't want to have to use disposable on a daily basis.

Can baby hang out in prefold only jelly roll style when at home or is that just gonna be a huge mess?

Thank you so so much to anyone who can help me out here!! It's really appreciated. :)

Re: FTM first time cloth questions, please help!

• Are prefolds paired with covers too bulky? Like would I be able to fit my newborns pants on him? I am getting GMD prefolds, Rumparooz newborn covers, Best Bottoms one size, and Blueberry Capri one size.  All cloth diapers will look and feel bulky to you when on a nb. It's normal and good for baby.  Stretchy pants will work best as far as pants go.

Can you get moconium out of prefold, and is the worry just about staining or is it like super sticky and won't come off at all? My understanding is that it's just a matter of staining but the sun works well for removing the stains. 

Will rumparooz newborn covers come below the umbilical cord?

Can you use cloth with baby who was circumcised or do you have to wait for it to heal? These questions I have no personal experience with as my son was only home for about 48 hours before he was readmitted to the hospital.  I didn't order my first cloth diapers until we came home the first time.

Do you use cloth when you go out for more than a couple of hours? I really don't want to have to use disposable on a daily basis.  Yes.  Changing diapers while out and about is not much harder than changing at home - just takes little planning to make sure you have everything.  Soiled diapers (post solids) are dealt with at home. 

Can baby hang out in prefold only jelly roll style when at home or is that just gonna be a huge mess?  Hanging out in a fastened prefold without a cover is fine - just put a towel or something equally easy to wash down under baby in case of leaks.

Thank you so so much to anyone who can help me out here!! It's really appreciated. :)  Google Not Just Cloth Diapers and/or join the Facebook group Cloth Diaper Tech Support for additional support and answers.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • dkubbdkubb member
    Are prefolds paired with covers too bulky? Like would I be able to fit my newborns pants on him? I am getting GMD prefolds, Rumparooz newborn covers, Best Bottoms one size, and Blueberry Capri one size...CDs on newborns are pretty bulky in my opinion so I recommend some one piece outfits(rompers and sleepers) I actually recommend those to anyone cloth diapering or not, but one piece outfits definitely fit my son's cloth better than anything.

Can you get moconium out of prefold, and is the worry just about staining or is it like super sticky and won't come off at all? Meconium actually comes of of diapers very easily and it is water soluble so no rinsing required. Like pp said if you have any staining you can sun your diapers but the stain will eventually work itself out of flats and predolds. I have no experience with aio. I also wanted to add that while meconium comes off of diapers easily it is harder to get off of baby's skin, to make it easier add a protective barrier at each diaper change. We used coconut oil and grandma els.

Will rumparooz newborn covers come below the umbilical cord?no experience with RAR newborn

Can you use cloth with baby who was circumcised or do you have to wait for it to heal? You can use cloth from the start no waiting required. Our ped recommended putting Vaseline on the circumcision site so it doesn't get caught on diapers but I just applied a heavy heavy layer of coconut oil and a disposable liner also coated it coconut oil and everything was fine.

Do you use cloth when you go out for more than a couple of hours? I really don't want to have to use disposable on a daily basis. We use cloth when we're out. My son's a moderate wetter. We can get away with just a prefold for overnight and flats can last him 5 hours before leaking but I do change him sooner. You'll figure out very quickly how often you need to change your baby and then you can pack accordingly for your outting depending on its length.

Can baby hang out in prefold only jelly roll style when at home or is that just gonna be a huge mess? No experience with this but I really don't see why not. I find prefolds to be extremely absorbent.

Thank you so so much to anyone who can help me out here!! It's really appreciated. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you both for your answers! So most of the babies clothes will be coming from baby shower, but I'm hoping we get some nice stretchy pants and one pieces like you guys suggested. If not I might need to get some. Also I plan to have baby hang out in diaper only sometimes just because it's going to be hot still (so cal summer heat) and I am going to be wearing him a lot!

Love the coconut oil idea, my SO and I use it a lot for skin/hair so we are already stocked up and it would work out perfectly. I don't mind staining so glad to know that I can get moconium out, because I don't want to wait for it to pass before I can start cloth diapering. 

I am am getting so excited for this little guys arrival! I am going to join that fb group and see what else I can learn. Want to be as prepared as possible so I can do everything how I want to without feeling overwhelmed!  
  • Not an experienced mom, but I got a couple lightweight wool covers like underwoolies that are very stretchy and fine for "pants" around the house, but also will offer leak protection.