Infertility

Ivf - the number of embryos transferred

Our transfer is schedule for Monday and they said DH has to be there because there is more consents to sign which state the number of embryos we transfer etc. Have you ladies been able to choose your number of embryos? It hasn't been discussed since an early consultation with our RE and I kind of assumed we weren't going to have a say in it or discuss it again. He said since I am younger (30) that we would only transfer one. It seems last minute to discuss any changes like that but I am curious if they do that. We have 11 embryos currently and will be freezing any that we do not use for the fresh transfer. 

Re: Ivf - the number of embryos transferred

• My first cycle I was 30 and did not have a say. I signed consents that basically said if there is a perfect blast, they would put in 1. It wasn't until I was all prepped for transfer that they told me they were putting two in. My husband and I freaked bc we didn't even think that was a possibility, not to mention how last minute, but I'm glad they did. This time around, I signed the same consent but am really starting to wonder depending on the number of eggs left, if any, that if only 2 left to just put both in. Not sure we can change anything now. 
    ********Pregnancy Mentioned*******

Me 33 DH 33 Together since 2002 TTC since Oct 2010 RE March 2012 HSG left tube blocked with fluid July Lap done, removed left tube and right tube damaged Break until we can fund IVF Mock Transfer and Consent Signing appt 11/2 Started BC 12/11, Injection class 12/18 Lupron starts 12/27, Menopur,Lupron and GonalF start 1/9, Triggered 1/20, ER 1/22 11R, 3 made it to day 5, ET 1/27 of 2 blasts, I frozen 2/7 beta #1 380, 2/11 beta #2 ? DD born 10/18/2013 

FET 9/2015-BFN no embryos left........trying on own until I discovered my only tube was blocked
    IVF#2- started stims 6/12 ER 6/22 16 ER 11 mature 8 fertilized ET 6/27 2 day 5 embryos AB and BB put in. 1 frozen BC. Beta #1-175 Beta #2- 422.  Beta #3- 1,024. US-7/29
  • It was in the paperwork we signed before we started asking the limit we would want put back. I am 34 but I think the packet is the one they give to everyone. We want to put back to even if he says one we want two.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think putting back a perfect blast is the optimal situation. 
  • My RE said based on my age and numbers that he'd prefer one. He doesn't want to risk multiples; however, he said that it will ultimately be our decision. I want to transfer two. 
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN
    FET #1- BFP; Ectopic pregnancy found at 7wks
    FET #2- February 2017 BFP  Beta #1- 119 (8dp5dt) Beta #2- 475 (12dp5dt)
  • **pregnancy mentioned **

Hello ! I had my transfer in March and my doctor told me he preferred that I only transfer one embryo due to the quality of my embryos and my age (29) . He said he would let me do two if I really wanted but he said the safest recommendation would be one . My husband and I ultimately decided to transfer two . One stuck for us so I am happy with my decision . I was mentally prepared for multiples as well so that's why I did two . I would have been happy with either outcome but multiple gestation is obviously more risky . 

Best of luck to you with your transfer ! A lot of docs only allow one so if that's the case obviously you don't have a choice . My doc explained to me that transferring an extra doesn't necessarily increase your odds of a pregnancy that much but it increases your odds of twins a lot more if that makes sense . 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • @mskeenan thats exactly how we feel we are prepared for multiples even want it but of course will be happy with single but i want two so that my chances are better of one actually staying.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • In the transfer rooms at my clinic they have a poster up on the wall that gives info about the number they will transfer based on a few different criteria. I am 26, was 26 for all my transfers, and for the first 3 we transferred 2 embryos each time. For this final transfer, we have 3 frosties left, so my doc has agreed to transfer all 3 of them. If they had been pgs tested, then I'm sure they would only let me do one. I had the choice every time of transferring one or two, and DH and I always chose 2 to be on the safe side. 
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Hi, kfras! Congrats with  this serious stage of the process. As for the number of embryos I read quite often women discussing it. We passed IVF with donor eggs in Biotexcom some time ago. Now I'm an exhausted but such a happy mother of 1 mo boy. The point is that we could chose between putting back 1-3 embryos. But if only twins or triplets pregnancy was not prohibited to me due to my health issues. So with this matter everything was all right and we agreed to place 2 nice 5-day blasts. How deeply had I been dreaming about twins! If only it could happen to us! o:)
    Though there have been lots of contradictive thoughts on the point on forums. I remember one lady shared her experience with transferring 2 embryos. Her body turned out to be unable to carry both babies to the due date.. Sorry for sharing this episode but she advised only 1 embryo to be put in, in case ladies or their docs are not sure of the consequences.
    Wish you all the best of luck with your transfer <3

• kfraskfras member
    Thank you @suchaglencoco for sharing your story! The only thing about transferring two that had worried me was that one would spilt and we would end up with triplets. ET was today - dr already had planned that we would do one and they said it was the best one. Although DH and I decided that if they let us choose we would choose two, we weren't really given the option so we went with one. What's meant to be will be..

thank you all :) good luck to everyone still on this journey! My beta will be on July 6 FX for a sticky embaby! 
  • My fingers are crossed that it's one sticky baby!!!
    And good luck in the following weeks before your betas. Keep yourself busy and try to stay sane (yeah right!).
  • @kfras they didnt let you choose that terrible my clinic of course says they will adivise us but will of course go with what we want. Going to pray yours stick
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • kfraskfras member
    Thank you @mrsmoten313 - your et is soon right?
  • kfraskfras member
    Good luck tomorrow I'll be thinking of you! @mrsmoten313
  • We did 2 egg transfers with donor eggs at the 5 day blast.  One was a A+ quality and the other was like a C quality egg.  Only one took.  Good luck.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So they transferred all three. Stick baby stick
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My ET is on Monday and I'm completely on the fence. All along I have wanted to transfer two. Several women I know transferred two and ended up with only one sticking. My hubby and RE want one. I just want to give myself the best chance possible. I'd be fine with twins; however, I'm 5'2" and very petite so twins would probably be hard on my body. I'm sure come Monday when we find out how many made it to day 5, the decision will be easier. I think this is the hardest part! 
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN
    FET #1- BFP; Ectopic pregnancy found at 7wks
    FET #2- February 2017 BFP  Beta #1- 119 (8dp5dt) Beta #2- 475 (12dp5dt)
  • kfraskfras member
    Good luck with et @lilmissslp!!! I agree it was a difficult decision to make - so many pros and cons. You will make the right choice! 
  • kfraskfras member
    @mrsmoten313 I am guessing they won't know how many implanted until your ultrasound? Do they have any idea from the rate of your beta increasing?
  • Not really I mean it tripled plus some in two days I guess we will have to wee with third beta. But if going by first beta I was say a single
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • mskeenanmskeenan member
    edited July 2016
    I was told it's actually hard to predict multiples based on beta values . My numbers increased by a lot (more than doubled in 48 hours ) and my values were pretty high and I still only had one stick . Then people pregnant with twins had lower beta values from what I've read ! You just never know and everyone is different 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !