1st Trimester

Can't eat at 6wks

Hey all,

I'm really struggling. I'm 6wks, sick every morning but after that's it's just strong food aversion. So much that it's really difficult to get solid food down. I'm taking my prenatal and my DH got me naked juice to try and get some nutrients. I hate Gatorade but drinking a lot to help nausea. Snacking doesn't help, forcing myself to eat doesn't work, help! I need new advice!

This is my second pregnancy, first ended in loss, had this problem in both!

Re: Can't eat at 6wks

• I'd talk to your midwife/ob about it. They can give you a prescription to help with the morning sickness.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • I'm in the same boat - terrible nausea this time.

I know you said snacking doesn't work for you, so this might not be helpful, but have you tried keeping a few very plain snacks on hand? I've learned that I have to keep myself from getting to the point of a totally empty, famished feeling (that's when the vomiting starts), and to take my prenatal vitamin at night with a couple of bites of food.

For me, apples, granola, fruit smoothies, plain crackers like saltines, frozen fruit, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are about all I can handle. At dinner time, sometimes I can handle a baked potato or a plain soup like tomato or potato soup. Hope you feel better soon! 
  • Loading the player...
  • LecoolLecool member
    edited July 2016
    I would also recommend talking with your doctor/midwife. The advice I was given by the nurse who works with my OB/GYN is that if at any point your symptoms are so severe that you are unable to keep any food or water down to contact them as soon as possible so that they can give you prescription medication to help with the nausea so that you can get the nutrition & hydration that you need. Feel better! 

Me: 28 | DH: 31
    Together since 2006 | Married May 2015
    TTC #1 since November 2015
    BFP 5/17/16 | EDD 1/27/17 | Born 2/4/17

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Talk to a doctor- there's medication you can take that can help. There's no point suffering if you don't have to. Before I got the medication I had really bad morning sickness. The medication meant I could keep something down- before that I couldn't even do water. I survived with plain salty crackers and hydrolyte ice blocks (I'm in Australia so I don't know if you have hydrolyte but it's basically low sugar gatorade that you get from the pharmacy). 

Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

Little boy due July 31st 2016

• I would talk to your OB. But until then I second small snacks or "grazing". With DD I got sick everyday around 10 or 11. I was teaching at the time and found that if I kept a bowl of unsweetened Cheerios on hand and just ate a few here and there that helped. Also I would do chicken broth or this instant chicken soup packets for breakfast. Not sure why but it helped my stomach. Not nutritious but it was something