May 2016 Moms

is this normal

Hey mommies.. I need help, I'm losing my mind from being sleep deprived. My baby has trouble sleeping at night and I have tried everything from keeping her awake longer during the day but she would sleep early and wake up at 11pm and doesn't sleep again until 5am. Before she would sleep all day and stay awake from 7-8pm and sleep around 1-2am which is also not ideal but now she doesn't sleep much during the day and still struggles. I've also tried waking her up at a certain time everyday and keeping her up for an hour or so before putting her down for a nap.. I can live with her waking up frequently for feeds but not sleeping much is a problem for me. By the way she was born 3 days before her expected due date and weighed 3.95kg and she is exclusively breastfed with an occasional formula on rare occasions that I go to the mall with her.

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• kp90kp90 member
    How do you put her to bed? Where or what is she sleeping in? Etc 
  • z0w1z0w1 member
    She mostly sleeps in her crib but sometimes I put her in our bed on nights where I'm too tired and her crib is still in our room because I have anxiety about her God forbid choking or anything going wrong and not being there.
  • z0w1z0w1 member
    Thank you mommies for your support. I would just like to add that this whole thing of me trying to keep her up during the day started because she was confusing day and night, meaning she would sleep all day and be up and want to play all night. I'm a first time mom and I was never ready  :o
  • To get a baby's days and nights straight, I was told to not interrupt his naps but to make sure he sees daylight during daylight hours. We sat on our front porch at 6am every day for a week and that seems to have done the trick perfectly. Now when he wakes up from a nap during the day he knows it's playtime, but when he wakes up at night it's time to go back to sleep.

granted, he's still waking up every two hours regardless... :( But he isn't staying up when he wakes up at night.