February 2017 Moms

Doulas

Is anyone currently working with a doula, or has anyone previously worked with one?  I am interested in contracting a doula, but I don't even know where to begin.  I started researching on Doulamatch.net and got super overwhelmed.  There are so many different types of certifications, specialty services, price ranges, etc.  I would love some advice from BTDTs or FTMs who are better at this than me.  

Re: Doulas

• We worked with a doula with our last birth and I work in the birth industry.  This info may help you:  https://www.dona.org/mothers/how_to_hire_a_doula.php
    Expecting #5
    Rainbow baby after 3 losses
    Due February, 2017

• If you have any local mom groups on Facebook, that can be an awesome resource to ask for doula recommendations in your area. We've got lots of doulas on my local moms group. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Go with what @tentacular said - start with a mom group on FB, they should have some great recommendations. 
    I'm using doulamatch.com to find ones in my area, and then going with my gut feeling. It's not always about the certifications (although those are good), I look for years of experience. Since I don't have my mom with me any longer, I kind of want a motherly influence there with me. Sounds kind of silly, but it would be nice to have that.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • *lurking from Jan 16*

Dont be afraid to interview multiple doulas! Look at their websites and try to get a feel for their personalities. You are going to want someone that meshes well with you and your SO. I interviewed several doulas before I found one that I got along with well. Good luck!
  • I agree, certifications are important but for me, a calming presence and warm personality is vital. 
    Expecting #5
    Due February, 2017

• What exactly does a doula do? 
    A doula is there to provide support, and even advocate for you. When you're SO is tired, she can take over, help you through the contractions and delivery. She can also provide support before you go into labor, and will usually see you a couple times after the baby is born. In my eyes, they are invaluable, and they're always there to answer questions.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • Doula here:)
    DoulaMatch is a great resource, but also ask around your community. Look at the certifying bodies the doula is under and then look at their guiding principles. Doulas are very good at reaching their target market, so if there is a doula that seems right- give her a call! 

I'm hiring a doula, I didn't with my first two and did just fine. But seeing the other side of it, I really believe in the work we doulas do and can't *not* hire one. They provide unbiased, continual, evidence based support. Husbands are great but are emotionally involved, midwives are wonderful but may fall short with the continual support. Especially during pushing. The midwife should then be focused between the legs, but the doula is focused on you, your emotions, your strength. 

Best of luck

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Stuck in the box! My elevator speech is that a doula provides emotional, mental, and physical support before, during, and after labor. They help you prepare, in the throes they are trained to find optimal positioning for comfort/progress as well as moves that include counter pressure to relieve pain during surges. Emotionally, they are a rock during the whole process and help keep you and your partner even keeled.  All of this is continual, unbiased and evidence based care. 

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

• edited July 2016
    Doulas are not there to stand in front of the support dads give. They are there to support you, but also support dad so he can do a great job. My husband was concerned she'd take his place but that wasn't the case at all. She made suggestions so he could better support me. 
    Expecting #5
    Due February, 2017

• peachesnbeanpeachesnbean member
    edited July 2016
    Doulas are not there to stand in front of the support dads give. They are there to support you, but also support dad so he can do a great job. My husband was concerned she'd take his place but that wasn't the case at all. She made suggestions so he could better support me. 
    A good doula not only empowers the laboring mothering, but the partner as well. 

• KRB22KRB22 member
    Lurking from January...

My midwives gave me a list of doulas they've worked with previously and recommend, so that seemed like a good place to start. I went through the list and looked at any websites or bios each doula had and based on that my husband and I chose a few to meet in person. 

We've meant 2 so far that we really liked, and I also take comfort in the fact that they both have a lot of experience working at our hospital and with the midwives. 

So it might be worth asking your OB/midwife if they have any recommendations. The hospital might have a list as well.