July 2016 Moms
Options

Dilated

Why wont my doctor check if Im dilated or not im on 39 weeks with 6 days left till my due date and she says it's still "to early" to check???

Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @WVUPetunia Sounds like he may have answered by saying it's too early. I recently had a question for my doctor and no matter how I worded it, I kept getting the same vague non-answer. I don't know if he just didn't have more information and was just doing what he always has done or what. Next appt. I saw a different doctor and she had no clue why he ordered the tests he did either.

Of course, a cervical check often doesn't tell you much unless your bag of water is visually bulging. I just shared in the randoms that my mom asked me if baby looks like it will be on time. What the heck does that mean? I've heard of women being dilated to 4 cm for weeks before delivering.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    yitazbah11 my doc says they aren't really necessary either and only does them by request, like if you are feeling a lot of pressure or something, or just really curious I guess.
  • Options

Did you ask for more clarification after being given the reason why ("too early")?  Perhaps wording like, "I know some other doctors check sooner, what type of research and clinical judgment makes you want to wait?"  or "at what point do you start checking?" or "I understand you think it's too early, but this is information I would like to have.  What are the risks and benefits of doing a cervical exam at this point in order for me to get that info?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    If you are a ftm and go past 40w a cervical check can decide when or if induction is favorable...I didn't dilate at all till the day before I had my DD at 41w. A stm I think it is again completely useless unless you begin talking induction and want to see if the cervix is favorable. My doc is only inducing before 41w because I am dilated and have had a vaginal birth, otherwise I would be going to 41 again. Just out right and request one if you want it.
  • Options
    @WVUPetunia Sounds like he may have answered by saying it's too early. I recently had a question for my doctor and no matter how I worded it, I kept getting the same vague non-answer. I don't know if he just didn't have more information and was just doing what he always has done or what. Next appt. I saw a different doctor and she had no clue why he ordered the tests he did either.

Yikes, that would drive me nuts!  
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Options
    My office doesn't do them. This is the first week it was even brought up (40 weeks) but I declined because it's not really necessary. I'll do it if I make it to 41 weeks. 
    BabyFruit Ticker