Trying to Get Pregnant

TTGP Guide: Cervical Position (CP) *TMI*

**Warning: If you are grossed out by checking or talking about CM or CP, I would not suggest continuing to read this thread**

Welcome ladies to a terribly *TMI* guide to CP, everyone’s favorite fertility sign. If there is something you are unsure of or have questions about, please post them below and I will do my best to answer them. Please be aware that every woman’s body is different and individual adjustments may need to be made for CP tracking to be its most effective.

The main two fertility signs that are most accurate and most used are charting your BBT(Basal Body Temperature) and CM(Cervical Mucus). CP is not a fertility sign that should be tracked on its own, but instead should be used to further align with your current fertility signs, or help to alleviate any confusion between conflicting signs. If you haven’t already, most women here suggest downloading the Fertility Friend app to track your fertility signs and references to it will be made here. Please note that all CP information is entered in FF under ‘Secondary Signs’.

How to Check Your Cervical Position

-Wash your hands prior to checking your cervix.
-Chose a comfortable position either sitting, squatting, or standing with one leg elevated (like on a bathtub).
-Insert one finger into the vagina to feel for the cervix. It will be located on the ‘upper-front’ or ‘top’ of the vagina.

Please Note: Do not measure your CP at different times of the day or in different positions. For consistency measure at approximately the same time each day and in the same position.

Your Cervical Position During Your Cycle

The cervix changes considerably during different parts of your cycle. For those of you that don’t fit the cookie cutter methods of measuring, following your cycle based on the guidelines below will help you to measure your CP in the future.

During AF: The cervix position is low and hard. Generally it is slightly open to allow for blood flow.
After AF: The cervix will remain low and hard, but the opening will also close.
Approaching Ovulation: The cervix will become softer and moister while starting to rise.
Ovulation: The cervix becomes soft and may seem almost out of reach (or out of reach for some women). The opening will be open.
After Ovulation: The cervix becomes more firm and begins to drop again. The opening will be closed tightly.
Pregnancy: The cervix will rise and become soft similar to that of ovulation. Although, the opening will remain closed. Generally this occurs after 12DPO.

Position

The position of your cervix is measured as high, medium, or low. One method that works for many women, but not all is the ‘Knuckle Method’. See the diagram below.

Low: If the cervix can be reached before the or at the first knuckle, it is considered ‘low’. To understand what your particular body’s ‘low’ is, check your cervix during or shortly after AF.

Medium: This will occur after AF and is characterized by the cervix being between the first and second knuckle on your finger. This can be measured anywhere between the few days following AF and before your FW. Your body is ramping up for ovulation and as the cervix moves higher, you are closer and closer to ovulation.

High: This occurs within a day or two before ovulation through ovulation. Your cervix will be difficult to reach falling between the second and third knuckle, or for many ladies, even out of reach. This is your peak ovulation time as your cervix prepares for the entry of sperm.

Texture

Hard: A hard textured cervix will feel similar to the tip of your nose. This can be observed during or just after AF.

Medium: A medium texture will occur for majority of the cycle, generally feeling less stiff and moister than your cervix at the beginning of your cycle.

Soft: A soft texture is often said to feel more like the texture of your lips. Personally, mine has never been quite that texture but there is a considerable difference in stiffness and moisture from the beginning of my cycle. Don’t be concerned if you do not fit this description perfectly.

Opening

Closed: Your cervix will be closed for majority of your cycle including after AF and during your luteal phase. The opening may feel tight, like a dimple at this time.

Medium: The cervix will begin to open slightly as ovulation approaches. This is most easily felt as the texture also tends to soften.

Open: The cervix is open during the peak of your cycle, ovulation. As the cervix is soft, you are often able to run the tip of your finger over the opening and notice it seems to move with ease. In my experience, this has been the easiest way for me to determine when the cervix is open.

Many people do not recognize the opening and closing of the cervix on its own, so don’t worry if you’re struggling to determine if your cervix is closed, medium or open. Spend the next cycle checking daily to have a basis of comparison. Once you’ve felt it closed, open seems like a night and day difference.

The ideal cervical position that occurs at ovulation is a combination of a high position, soft texture and an open opening. This is the only combination in which FF will consider it a sign of ovulation and the CP for that day will show green. This is not to say that your CP is not contributing to your tracking. Even if you never feel like you achieve ‘High/Soft/Open’, the pattern will show you useful information in regards to ovulation.

Below is a copy of one of my charts to exemplify how CP changes throughout one’s cycle.

Please feel free to ask any questions or for clarification below. If you like this guide and would like to see others on different topics related to TTC, please let me know.

Me: 23 | DH: 27
Married: 10.11.15
MC #1: June 2014
MC #2: December 2015
APS Diagnosis: February 2016
BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
Previously nweg...7878

Re: TTGP Guide: Cervical Position (CP) *TMI*

• I'm confused about the knuckle thing.  Like, if you only need to stick your finger in up to the first knuckle to feel it it's considered low?  That's low!

Me: 32 | DH: 36

Married June 2005

1/2016 - TTC#1

4/2017 - Initial RE visit, Dx: Severe MFI (Varicocele, 14% motility, 3% progression, but normal count)

7/2017 - Stage 3 endometriosis discovered during laparoscopic removal of ovarian cyst

9/27/2017 - BFP at 10dpo (cycle 22), baby boy due June 9, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • RatParade said:
    I'm confused about the knuckle thing.  Like, if you only need to stick your finger in up to the first knuckle to feel it it's considered low?  That's low!
    Um.. how does a penis fit in if you can only fit one knuckle inside? I'm confused...

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • MollyandD said:
    I'm still popping over to this board now and then. I was told once to think of a cervix like a penis. When you're most fertile, it'll feel like a soft penis. It'll feel similar to a hard penis when you're not near your fertile time. That helped me track things when I was TTGP.
    Here's some more info using that analogy: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12047288/the-cervix-feels-like-a-penis

Also, the relative "height" will vary for everyone. It can take a few cycles of tracking CP to get a sense of what "low" or "high" means for you personally. 

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• @RatParade I know that sounds super low, but mine tends to be down there right after AF ends! That being said a lot of ladies have a different 'low' so it's important to check throughout your cycle and get used to shay low medium and high feel like for you. Mine are textbook but not everyone's are!
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Me: 26 DH: 24
    Married: November 2015  <3
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    Computer Hope
  • this is really good info, I'd like to see if I can detect the changes if I can get into the habit of checking. Does it matter what time of day you check, as long as it's typically around the same time every day? I'm thinking of checking it when I head to the bathroom after taking my temp in the morning maybe?
  • @nwegman7878 Thank you so much for posting this! You did a great job of explaining something that can be quite confusing. I think it's great to have this post separate from the others so we can come back with questions. 

• I've been debating on if I want to track my CP since I wasn't feeling entirely confident about it. This post, however, is great stuff! It's clear enough that I think I'll give it a go; it helps to have a place for specific questions too. Thanks so much @nwegman7878
  • slavenslaven member
    I've noticed sex after AF can be uncomfortable, like a slightly painful pressure, but never knew about CP. My husband thought I was crazy when I said I thought he was hitting my cervix. 
    Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• Sugargirl1019 You are quite welcome. It's amazing how little I knew about my body until TTC.
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • Awesome post!

ive introduced myself a bit back and then had either a chemical or false early positive and stopped for a bit. But continue to lurk...

anyways I had a ? With cp after ovulation is it a bad sign if cervix is still HSO? Per bbt ( if my temp continues to rise) I'd be 1dpo today but I'm concerned bc my cervix seems to have not gotten the memo lol

anyone have a lazy/slow cervix post O?

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016
    Rainbow & Babe #4 EDD 7.28.18

• @LilyGracesMommy Personally for me, my cervix stays high after ovulation but I definitely notice that it is closed and becomes firmer. It may take some women's a bit more to make the adjustment. Also, remember you may have ovulated later in the day so one days difference in CP is not too concerning. Generally, if you're CP matched with CM and temps, you're just fine. 

BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • Thanks for the reply
    the TWW just drives me insane and I feel like the more and longer I TTC the more loops my body throws at me lol

@nwegman7878

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016
    Rainbow & Babe #4 EDD 7.28.18

• slavenslaven member
    CP Question: I'm totally new to CP. Mine's way back there and I can't feel it standing, only squatting (will try laying down later). It was hard like a nose yesterday, slightly softer today but still low. Does it transition like this?
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• TheJeriluTheJerilu member
    edited July 2016
    CP Question: I'm totally new to CP. Mine's way back there and I can't feel it standing, only squatting (will try laying down later). It was hard like a nose yesterday, slightly softer today but still low. Does it transition like this?

*from WTO*
    CP QUESTION from what i understand if your cervix feels like a hard nose you're not fertile. If it feels like a slightly softer nose but is still low does that mean it's transitioning? We didn't BD last night (it's TH am in Korea right now) but I'm hoping for a morning quickie when he gets home from his ruck march. 
    @slavenski
    Wanted to answer this here rather than WTO, in case people are searching this in the future.  CP is a good additional guideline, but it can vary per woman and is one of the more finicky fertility signs.  I wouldn't think of it as a "if it's x than I am probably not fertile", but more of a "if it's y than I probably am".  It can be firm right through your fertile window and it would not be a detriment, but if it's soft there's a high likelihood that you are at or around your fertile window.  Additionally, apparently most women who have never been pregnant experience less changes in their CP during their cycle (thanks, bodies).

For me, my CP is almost always medium/high and firm (I can only find it squatting as well), but I can detect a bit of change in the opening sometimes.  I can definitely see a change in my CM through the cycle.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 28 & Partner: 32 | Married 2014
    BFP 7/29 EDD 4/11
  • slavenslaven member
    @TheJerilu That's good to hear. I was panicking that I missed my FW somehow. Cycle 1 and I'm already obsessing. I'm holding off on OPKs and BBT because I know how I get. I guess it's easier to tell that you could be fertile but hard to say that you're not fertile. 
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @slavenski
    Yup yup, nailed it.  CM is a fairly reliable measure of fertility, though.  Also, you should obviously make your own decisions, but I will say that I calmed down a lot myself when I moved from only using CP/CM to using OPKs as well (I use Wondfo because they are cheeaaaaaaap) after a cycle or two.  They're far more explicitly clear with "ah I have a surge, which means I'm probably ovulating within the next 0-2 days" rather than me over-analyzing everything. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 28 & Partner: 32 | Married 2014
    BFP 7/29 EDD 4/11
  • @slavenski What @TheJerilu said. CP is meant to be a complimentary fertility sign. I use it in combination with temping, CM, and OPKs. It's just another way to confirm ovulation but it's not the most accurate as the only fertility sign. 
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878