January 2016 Moms
Options

Sleeping while camping

Has anyone taken their LO camping yet or have experience with siblings? DH and I are tent campers in the Adirondack region and I am excited to go camping a few times this season. But I am also pretty nervous. I'm not sure what to do about sleeping. We have a tent that will hold our packn'play (and air mattress) and I know how I'm going to dress DD to keep her warm except her head. Do I put a hat on her? Isn't that a big no-no because of suffocation risks? The lowest it will probably get at night is 60 but that's pretty chilly. Thoughts? Experiences? Before she was born I talked about how I had no problems taking a baby camping, now I want to cuddle with her in a corner and keep her safe indoors forever. 

Re: Sleeping while camping

• Options
    klbhklbh member
    How about a fleece sleep sack over jammies? A hat seems fine to me--I thought it was only risky insofar as it makes babies overheated. 60 degrees doesn't seem too chilly to me. Lots of babies throughout the world sleep in cooler temperatures. :) I haven't camped with baby yet, but I bet it's one of those things, like airplane travel or that first day out in public, that seems intimidating the first time but then totally fine. Have fun! 
  • Options
    Thanks! I know I'm being over cautious.  I finally stopped having anxiety about the ticks this year (DD is getting so many tickets checks) and then I thought about how chilly it usually is by morning. I didn't know the hat warning was for overheating but assumed because of a suffocation hazard. She's not a still sleeper and will most likely knock it off. I think layers is the way to go. She does have a thick head of red hair on her head, I'm sure that will help keep her warm too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We brought our Rock N' Play. That always seems to keep her warmer at night because it snuggles her in. We always do a fleece sleep sack otherwise, she sleeps best when she is warm. 
  • Options
    jrouge12jrouge12 member
    edited July 2016
    @karam425 Good suggestion but LO sleeps exclusively on her tummy right now. There's no stopping her! I put her on her back and she (sleeping) immediately moves to her tummy.

Edit: Autocorrect
  • Options
    60 deg is great sleeping weather! I'd put her in footie Pj's, and a lightweight sleepsack if you feel she needs extra, but I doubt it. The AAP says baby need 1 extra layer AT MOST over us. Being too warm isn't ideal for sleeping. You can bring a beanie for mornings when she wakes up, but I wouldn't have her sleep in it. Your body heat from the tent + her pj's will be fine :) We are avid campers also, but haven't been yet with baby. We usually sleep in our old VW bus, but we have 2 dogs + 2 of us + baby now which is a little tight! I need to figure out our sleeping situation first, I really want to get a pop-up trailer.
  • Options
    grkgdss00 said:
    60 deg is great sleeping weather! I'd put her in footie Pj's, and a lightweight sleepsack if you feel she needs extra, but I doubt it. The AAP says baby need 1 extra layer AT MOST over us. Being too warm isn't ideal for sleeping. You can bring a beanie for mornings when she wakes up, but I wouldn't have her sleep in it. Your body heat from the tent + her pj's will be fine :) We are avid campers also, but haven't been yet with baby. We usually sleep in our old VW bus, but we have 2 dogs + 2 of us + baby now which is a little tight! I need to figure out our sleeping situation first, I really want to get a pop-up trailer.
    Agreed with this. I haven't taken my LO camping yet but I have taken my nieces and nephews (as young as 3 months) and onsies and fleece pjs was always enough with everyone in the tent it tends to stay pretty warm and by 6 months I feel like our babes can def better regulate temperature! Relax and enjoy the great outdoors! 
  • Options
    I don't have much to add other then I agree with PP and I'm jealous of weather you can actually enjoy the outdoors in.  We're coming up on a week straight of over 100 deg heat, sleeping outdoors in 60 deg sounds wonderful! Have fun, I hope LO enjoys their first camp out! 
  • Options
    Thanks again everyone! The temperature turned out to be no problem. The biggest problem we had was that she went to bed 2 hours late because the tent wasn't dark. Then we finally get her to sleep and a bunch of rowdy concert goers came back. The campground was full of them! Grrrrr!