May 2016 Moms
Options

Rolling babies!

DS has surprised me by rolling from tummy to back during tummy time the past few days. I wasn't expecting him to be able to do so yet! He scared himself the first few times and now he does it during tummy time so I flip him back over. He's thwarting my tummy time since in trying to have him on his back less to correct a flat spot on his head.

He only rolls to one side. Should I try to encourage him to go the other way. Anyone else have a rolling baby? What are you doing?!

Re: Rolling babies!

• Options
    My baby started rolling at 6 weeks. At first I thought it was a fluke because he was raging at the time so I figured his rage propelled him. Then he started doing it regularly. He seems to favor one side as well. When we do tummy time I just roll him back to his tummy after he rolls onto his back. If he gets fussy I play music loudly on my phone and he gets entranced by the music and stays in place with his head up towards the music. 
  • Options
    Caroline started rolling yesterday. So far she has gone to both sides pretty evenly, so I'm not worried about that right now. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ainsley rolled yesterday for the first time at seven weeks old!
  • Options
    Man I'm jealous! Lucine isn't rolling yet at all. She hates tummy time still and after 3 or 4 minutes she shuts down and starts screaming.  Doesn't seem quite right.  I still give her lots of tummy time anyways but sometimes we just have to do it tummy to tummy instead because she is so clingy still.  I feel like she is majorly falling behind :(  
  • Options
    @Kurrant every baby has their own pace, don't stress it! Just keep trying, encourage her, and make it fun! (: My LO isn't rolling yet either during tummy time and she's not really a fan of it unless she's on me and sleeping - which defeats the purpose. Lol 
  • Options
    @kurrant don't feel that way! So many babies I know in real life hate tummy time. It doesn't necessarily even reflect on their abilities. Do you have Lucine on a blanket? I find many babies scrunch up the blankets and therefore hate tummy time. One baby I know a few weeks older than ours hated tummy time until a few days ago when his mum put him on a mat instead. He then instantly knew how to prop up and turn his head side to side.

Remember also that people are more likely to talk about a baby's accomplishments than when the baby hasn't met a milestone yet.  She just needs to make milestones within the normal range. It really has no bearing on her long term outcome whatsoever as long as she's in range. Different babies excel at different things. 

Please don't worry. ❤️

• Options
    My LO has rolled a few times but never on purpose, just because she overbalanced her ginormous head. :) She will only tolerate tummy time for a few minutes even though she actually has good head control for her age. She just doesn't like being on her tummy at all.
  • Options
    I've tried tummy time on both a blanket and an activity mat, with a tummy time pillow and without. She just hates being there no matter if she can see my face, if I sing, if there are toys, or left alone.  I guess I just need to keep trying and wait it out. Hopefully she likes it eventually. She 
  • Options
    Kurrant said:
    I've tried tummy time on both a blanket and an activity mat, with a tummy time pillow and without. She just hates being there no matter if she can see my face, if I sing, if there are toys, or left alone.  I guess I just need to keep trying and wait it out. Hopefully she likes it eventually. She 
    Can you just lay her on your chest and allow her to exercise that way? My friends baby refused to do tummy time and that's what her pediatrician recommended. 
  • Options
    @bellodomani I have heard the same thing, hence I've not stressed about it. I do it mainly to alleviate head pressure. If he resists too much, I just wear him in his wrap/carrier for longer that day. 

• Options
    @Kurrant My pedi actually said that more recent research suggests that tummy time is really not all that essential, more just important for getting their heads off of hard surfaces occasionally than it is is for motor development. My son was super late to roll- maybe 5 months- and he just always fell asleep during tummy time. He still crawled at 7 months and walked at 11 months, so it had no relationship to his other motor milestones. She'll be totally fine, don't stress about it :)
    I've heard this as well. @Kurrant my LO hates tummy time also. She just rather eat the mat and kick her legs. When she's on my chest she lifts her head but if I put her on a mat, forget it. She has no interest. I even bought a cylinder pillow type thing with toys on it to encourage tummy time. She fell asleep on it! I'm not stressed about it, but I do keep trying. 
  • Options
    Kurrant said:
    Man I'm jealous! Lucine isn't rolling yet at all. She hates tummy time still and after 3 or 4 minutes she shuts down and starts screaming.  Doesn't seem quite right.  I still give her lots of tummy time anyways but sometimes we just have to do it tummy to tummy instead because she is so clingy still.  I feel like she is majorly falling behind :(  
    Don't stress, she's not falling behind! I actually just looked up when DS1 rolled out of curiosity and it was 17 weeks (so 3.5-4 months). He's now a very physical, dexterous 2 year old. Seriously, this kid has better balance than me and can swing a golf club really well. Like PPs have said, as long as it's within the range of hitting each milestone every baby and child does things at their own rate. DS1 walked at 10 months but didn't seriously start talking until much later, so gross and fine motor skills he was ahead but language was delayed slightly. They all have their own pace, but we all worry when we start comparing. I'm sure Lucine will roll when she's good and ready!
  • Options
    Corbin isn't rolling yet either and we're just now getting the hang of tummy time. Before a few days ago he would scream every time. Even now it's hit or miss. When he does do it though he has started to lean to one side or the other so maybe it's not too far off?
  • Options
    My LO is not a big fan of tummy time. She will tolerate it for a few minutes before she gets frustrated. She is pulling up her legs when she's on her back and kind of tilts to the side a little bit but that's as close as she gets. We are just going to keep trying. My niece is 4 months and she just started rolling from back to tummy so I'm not stressing about anything yet. Nora is just 2 months old so she still has lots of time.
  • Options
    @Kurrant totally did not mean to make you feel jealous! I should have added that DS only tolerates tummy time for a little bit and just started to around 8 weeks. And the rolling was involuntary because he was getting angry :) 
  • Options
    @Kurrant I didn't mean to make anyone feel jealous, either! I'm still waiting to see if Ainsley actually can roll for real, or if yesterday was just a fluke. She was frustrated at the time. 

Ainsley also doesn't like to do tummy time on a completely smooth surface...it has to be something she can grip, like her quilt. 
  • Options
    Lucas rolled from tummy to back when he was 6 days old!!! It was definitely a rage thing, it was the first time we did Tummy time and he was soooo not happy. He had crazy strong head movement from day 1, so we were shocked but we just thought he was obviously a genius baby, I mean of course, right?! HAHA ... And of course now he's almost 8 Weeks and hasn't done it since HAHAHA thank goodness my mom and DH were there to witness it or I would have thought my eyes deceived me! LOL :-)
  • Options
     My kid doesn't even try to roll :grimace:
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    Harper enjoys tummy time and can really lift her head. She's rolled belly to back once last week but I think it was a fluke. 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    Lark is not a fan on tummy time. She does like when we hold her up in a sitting position and is pretty good with head. 
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    EErin86 said:
    Lark is not a fan on tummy time. She does like when we hold her up in a sitting position and is pretty good with head. 
    I love the name lark! So beautiful

cat fail animated GIF