June 2016 Moms
Options

Couple questions. Diaper and playtime related.

Separate questions. I'm showing my FTM-ness here but hey I don't know if I dont ask. Some things I'll also talk to doc about but doesn't hurt to get opinions!
1. LO is 1 week old.  What are you guys doing as "playtime" with your newborn?  Putting them on the playmat this early?
2. He is 8lb 6oz, and wearing Pampers newborn.  He is kind of a chunky legged man so I'm a little paranoid about the fit around his legs.  The waist still has plenty room but when I change him the legs holes seem a little tight.  I can still get a finger in bc it's stretchy.  I have some size 1 and I know I should just try one and see but interested in thoughts.
3.  What does it look like when baby is sensitive (skin) to something like diapers or wipes.  Hard to tell if his bum is a little red bc he is hot or if he is sensitive.  Doesn't look like a rash. Just a little red.  Doesn't seem painful when I wipe him. ??
4. Gas pains - due to tongue tie/latch issues he gets gassy.  Best ways you have found to compound this aside from gripe water?  

Thanks for "listening".  I'm sure some things I'm over thinking but the last thing I want is to dismiss it and then be "too late". 

Re: Couple questions. Diaper and playtime related.

• Options
    1. Talking to baby a lot, face to face time, cuddle time, changes of scenery, soon they will be able to focus their view on things which makes it easier. Dd also gets the benefit of being around while I'm reading books and playing with my older kids.

2. I doubt that it's hurting him. They are usually snug in the leg. Personally I would try to use up all the NB diapers before moving to size one, just because I hate wasting any.

3.  My kid usually has a red diaper area just from heat. You can always ask at the two week check up

4. Sorry, no experience 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ok..

1.  We did no tummy time until his cord came off.  So play time was limited but just read to him for the most part.

2.  My little one is just coming up on 8lbs and I be switching him to the size ones in the next week or so... Just finishing up the newborns i have...i use pampers too.  I figure they start at 8lbs and he seems to pee a lot so I hoping that helps there.

3.  I switch between aquafor for diaper rash and AD baby prevent ointment... Redness is basically one step away from rash in my experience.  Just get used to using something almost every time.

4.  I do not have an overly gassy baby, but he does fart and grunt a lot, not super fussy though.  I have found that burping helps a lot.  

I recommend getting the book Baby 411.  It has been a godsend for me as a FTM.  It was a gift, but totally worth whatever the price may be.  Covers everything, even some obscure stuff I wouldn't have thought of.  Better than the"what to expect" book.

Good Luck!!  I am coming up on 5 weeks here and am finally feeling like we all may survive  ;).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    1. Glad you asked, been wondering the same thing. I've been doing lots of taking to her and trying to make eye contact as much of possible. Showing her a toy but no real playtime, going to start tummy time now that cord is off and healed.

2. I switched her to size 1 for this issue (was able to return all N size and exchange for size 1) she was 8lbs4oz at birth.

3. I switched her to pampers sensitive diapers & wipes due to redness. She has super sensitive skin too, but not real diaper rash. Try to use butt paste as a barrier as much as possible.

4. No experience with this, sorry!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    1. for play time I put her on a soft blanket on the ground and use some bright colored toys to play with her. One of them is an early learning toy that makes sound has texture and has a little mirror on it so she can see herself. I also make sure to get close and make faces at her smile a lot and talk because at this point they are learning facial expressions and will soon hopefully be mimicking them.

2. For the diaper issue and read if they start to get lines from the elastic that it's probably time to move up to the next size. I also read that you should be able to get two fingers in the front top beneath their belly button under the diaper. You don't want to lose otherwise you're going to have explosive diapers we've had a few of those.

3. For diaper rash be careful. Our little one had a red bottom and I didn't think anything of it and the next morning she had a full-blown diaper rash. Fortunately cleaning it with damp cotton swabs and drying her bottom fully treating with Desitin we were able to get rid of it within 3 days.

4. For gassiness our little one has really struggled actually with acid reflux. She gets very fussy and it's hard to manage. One of the things that has helped is nursing her with her stomach lower than her head. I make sure not to over burp because it actually makes her spit up more but I let her sit a little more upright for a while after a feeding. The other thing that has helped is putting her pack and play at a slight incline for sleeping and this is help her be more comfortable. This was recommended by her pediatrician.
  • Options
    I'm also a first time mom so not speaking from much experience but here is some info I have found helpful from other mothers and consulting with my pediatrician. 
    1) Tummy time on a playmat about 5-15 minutes a few times a day depending on how alert and happy she is. My pediatrician recommended starting this as soon as umbilical cord fell off. 
    2) My baby was 8lb 14 ounces and I found the pampers newborn to have the same problem, but then the size 1 seemed so loose. Sometimes different brands run a little smaller, the target store brand runs a bit small so I used a small package of that before moving over to size 1 pampers. 
    3) Don't have any advise here but I did notice more redness when using the tighter pampers. Not sure if there was less airflow or if the tightness was just keeping everything in contact with the skin. 
    4) My baby gulps when feeding and was extremely gassy all the time and then would get very fussy. I had tried burping her over my shoulder and over my knee but could rarely get a bump. My pediatrician recommended the "tiger in the tree technique" which works soooooo well I was amazed when my baby let out a huge burp at the doctors office while she was demonstrating for me. You can look up videos on youtube to see how its done. She had also recommended gripe water or gas drops but the burping so well that we never needed to use them. 
  • Options
    We put him on the mat since day one cause our mat had hanging toys and lights he could look at.

If his butt is red even after you let it dry for a minute or so it could be the start of a rash.

I recently found out my LO has lip/tongue tie and swallows so much air.  We are getting then clipped asap but in the meantime I give gas drops and burp him constantly during the day even between feeding in case air got loosened up but it still don't help as much as I'd like.  
  • Options
    As far as diapers go, the legs are supposed to be snug. DD is 6 weeks, nearly 10 pounds and still in nb diapers because size1 pampers (we are using sensitive) are too loose and too big. Tried switching over and we had a poo-splosion out the legs and up the back. I'll keep her in them until her waist is bigger.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We went up to size one by 3 weeks. Henry is over 12 pounds and an absolute moose though 
  • Options
    jmohiojmohio member
    1. We have been putting her on our chest and talking to her so she looks up at us. It seems to be working because the doctor said he was impressed with her head control, we are almost 4 weeks old. 

2. We switched to size one around 8 lbs because we had an episode of really blue legs after a full diaper.  The doctor said to switch because their vessels are so small right now it is easy to squeeze them.  

3. We started using huggies natural wipes. They are thicker and softer than any other one and her redness has completely gone away. 

4. We have a very gassy baby. We live for Gripe water and pressure on her tummy. Sometimes we put her as far up as possible on our shoulders and pat her bottom gently or we put her tummy down on our legs. 

I am a FTM too so this is just what I have been doing that seems to be working.