Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Movie for distraction

I'm new here... After over a year of TTC and in the middle of tests and appointments for infertility, we finally got a BFP. Last week, the miscarraige started. At this point, I think I appear mostly normal, but when my thoughts wander or something reminds me, I start crying out of the blue. I don't usually watch TV or movies (we don't even have cable or whatever it is you need nowadays to watch TV, but I do read a lot. The problem is, my books aren't distracting enough and my mind wanders, so I've been looking for movies to distract me. So, what have you seen lately, and is it trigger-free? Do you have any recommendations? Here's my list from the past few days:

Good: 
-Spotlight (well made, interesting enough to really keep my attention, no pregnancies or lost children) 

Bad:
-The Witch (dying and lost children, grieving mother)
-Birdman (woman thought she was pregnant, then not. Said something like "I'm so ready to be a mom, but my body isn't cooperating". Yeah, tell me about it)

Re: Movie for distraction

• @EverythingsBetterOutside I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm afraid to recommend anything because it seems everything has some kind of pregnancy or baby reference. My husband has even started pointing it out to me. I'll try to keep my eye out for something "safe" to watch and make a recommendation in a couple days.

I know this time is incredibly hard. I suggest just taking the time you need to just let yourself grieve, and focus on taking care of yourself. We're all here for you. Hang in there! ::hugs::
  • I am sorry for your loss.  How do you feel about cooking shows?  I discovered & watched Food Truck Road Trip (on Netflix) right after my loss.  It's pretty frivolous, the judges aren't mean, and there might be a mention of someone's kids but I actually do not remember any.  Now I've been into Guy's Grocery Games--again, not one of those super mean or cutthroat cooking shows--and I like it, but they typically mention people's kids when they introduce them, not sure if that is triggering right now for you.  I also like cooking shows because for them to be interesting I have to somewhat follow what the challenge is, what the ingredients are, etc., so it's hard for my mind to wander that far.  

The last movie I watched was an Israeli movie called Zero Motivation, about girls in the army (also Netflix).  I do not think there was any pregnancy stuff, although other trigger warning required (suicide, attempted sexual assault).  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • I really liked The Big Short. I feel like if you liked Spotlight that you would probably like that one. I believe it is trigger-free. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was pretty good, but the subject matter does involve the war overseas, so it's kind of dark at times. 

I'm really sorry for your loss. Sending hugs. I totally get needing the distraction. I watched a lot of random documentaries after my losses as well, most of which were quite boring. 
  • I can't think of a good movie to watch, but will keep my eye out. However, in the last couple months I have watched some that have resulted in many hormone driven  tears and would suggest you don't watch them! 

The giver, Me before you, How to be single, finding dory ( I cried during 1 part when I took  my three year old niece to see it), one day.

Also started crying watching some of the Glades and bones episodes where children were involved, but you never know till already watching them.

• Pitch perfect!! No triggers that I can think of. I also love food network.

Sorry for your loss.

Married DH December 2014
    Expecting DS#1 November 2015
  • I unfortunately don't have a good movie to recommend, but I could warn you against going to see The Shallows. Lots of blood there, may not have any baby/pregnancy related things in there, but definitely not good to watch with all the blood going on in there. She also mentions the name of the island as pregnant lady something.. So that was bad. Bad bad bad. We went to see that movie over the weekend as a "distraction"
  • Thanks everyone!  This is helpful,  even the ones to avoid
  • I love, love, love "The Other Woman" with Camerone Diaz. Great funny movie; basic plot line of wife finding out her husband cheated and teams up to get revenge. (As opposed to "The Other Woman" with Natalie Portman, HUGE red flag there, about a woman who loses a baby, even thought it doesn't say that in any description). Also, "The Martian" with Matt Damon if you prefer something a little more dramatic. It was was one that my DH really liked as well if you're wanting something to watch together.
  • newlymrsparaons "The Other Woman" Is great! Still thinking of good suggestions unfortunately :(
  • I second The Martian, just FYI there is a short scene at the end of someone holding a baby (lasts maybe 30 sec?, not part of the plot at all).
    Me: 39 DH: 39
    CP 1/25/16 4.5 weeks, developed Graves' disease
  • mjolkmjolk member
    Careful going to the theatre atm. There is a very long preview for an animated movie called Stork... sit down after all the previews are done.
    -----
    TW: Loss
    EDD: 1/14/2017 : Blighted Ovum : D&C @ 10w6d

• I'm so sorry for your loss but I'm awful at knowing what's new or out? We mostly watch Netflix, Hulu & HBO go. We watched Spy last night and that was a good laugh. I find myself mostly wanting comedies right now.. That or cartoons

@mjolk that's good to know because I was actually wanting to see the secret life of pets... 
  • Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. My husband was a bit frustrated last night because he couldn't think of anything safe for me to watch... We ended up with Zootopia, which was nice and safe.

@kirstynikole, I don't need anything new, I'm not a big movie watcher (prior to this experience,  I could probably count on one hand all the movies I'd seen in the past 5 years. I might need 2 hands if we go back 10 years). So even older suggestions are helpful!

• I love feel good movies, for anyone wanting a little pick me up these are my go tos: 
    Bridget Jones
    Love Actually
    Pitch perfect
    The holiday (Jude law has 2 young daughters who i think we see twice)
    school of rock
    10 things i hate about you (The dads an OBGYN so a few mentions and he makes his daughter wear a pregnant belly before she goes to a party)

Some movies i've stumbled across recently that i found upsetting were:
    Regression (some graphic discussion and flashbacks to sexual abuse and pregnancy/ abortion and sacrifice)
    Ted 2 (I didn't read the description so my own fault but it's about them trying to get a baby)

Hope that this helps someone!
  • I think mean girls and the wedding singer are hilarious. Bridget jones diary is one of my all time favorite movies. 
  • I've found the hgtv shows like Fixer Upper nice and easy to watch. My husband likes documentaries so we just watched a couple about Africa and animals and that sort of thing, although if you're super sensitive there are probably going to be mention of baby animals! I watched War Room and Inside Out in the hospital. I'd recommend War Room as very safe, but not Inside Out (I cried right from the beginning because it's about watching a little girl grow up.)

I'm with you in that I hardly ever watch tv or movies... I still barely watched any despite being on almost 2 months of bedrest! 
  • HowlCircusHowlCircus member
    edited July 2016
    Just watched Horrible Bosses for the first time and I laughed through the whole thing

(trigger warning: one office person they discuss as being pregnant/overweight in it)