March 2017 Moms

HCG bloodwork

Anyone else having a difficult time convincing their OBGYN to stick you?? 
I'm 4 weeks & 2 days right now, and I was due to check out 2 different midwives. The first one said they don't do it until the first appt (8/2). The second one, I called and explained my worries to the receptionist, since this is child #1, and admitted that I can be a little neurotic. We laughed and she put the NP on...
NP: "Hi, I understand you have a problem." 
Me: "No, I.."
NP: "So what can I help you with at 4 o'clock on a Friday??"
Me: "Uhh, I just don't have an appointment for several weeks and would like to see if HCG bloodwork would be possible earlier to make sure everything is progressing okay."
The end result was basically a no, and she tried to backtrack and be nice.

I should have told her to shove the damn attitude. The receptionist rescheduled me from 7/27 to 7/20. However, I'm going to call Monday and cancel. I don't need that kind of BS. Between being pregnant and weaning off my SSRI, I'm weepy enough as it is. It just seems like everyone on the friggin Glow app is getting bloodwork done weekly by the time they get a BFP. 

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this (lack of bloodwork OR nasty staff!!)
DH: 29
Me: 27
Married 9/20/14 
BFP: 7/3/16
EDD: 3/13/17

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: HCG bloodwork

• Generally people who need blood work this early require it because of a history of losses. If you have no history or other health issues that warrant blood work, it's a blessing, not a curse.
  • Loading the player...
  • I hear you both. I just thought a blood confirmation was pretty standard. 
    Married 9/20/14 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Spartanrd4Spartanrd4 member
    edited July 2016
    Normally my OB doesn't do blood work until 8 weeks and they don't routinely do betas. They didn't even do a pregnancy test in the office at my first appointment, they just took my word for it that I took a HPT.
  • Same thing here. @Spartanrd4
  • @Spartanrd4 one office I went to years ago gave me a $275 FRER. I didn't even think to keep it.
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • My OB doesn't do bloodwork until your first appointment at 7+ weeks....I'm enjoying the lack of needles while I can ;)
  • Yeah unless you've had trouble getting pregnant or had previous losses they usually don't even see you until 7-8 weeks, I wouldn't worry . I know how you feel, I've continued to take FRER to make sure my lines are getting darker, but try to relax(easier said than done I know)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Also, it is worth mentioning, if you are having a hard time weaning from your SSRIs maybe you could speak with your care provider to find something to help get you through. There are pregnancy safe options.
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • I agree with pp - as frustrating as it can be not to have bloodwork early, I promise it's a blessing. I get stuck early and often and it doesn't ever really alleviate the worrying.
    “Be present in all things and thankful for all things.”  ~Maya Angelou

~~~~ TW ~~~~~~

Me: 40    DH: 39
    Married 12.19.13
    BFP #1 1/14, MC 2/14 (6wks)
    BFP #2 1/15, MMC/D&C 3/15 (12wks)
    BFP #3 6/15, MC 8/15 (9wks)
    BFP #4 4/16, MC 4/16 (5wks)
    BFP #5 7/16, MMC 8/16 (10 wks)
    BFP #6 3/4 , EDD 11/9/17
  • Just throwing in another "my doctor doesn't do bloodwork unless you have a history of loss or some other thing that puts you in a high-risk camp".  No need to worry.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Same as PPs- I did not have confirmation blood work either. My office does not do it unless you have had losses or are high risk. I also won't see the doctor until 7-8 weeks. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks guys! I'm definitely nervous since this is my 1st, and I'm a person that likes to know and understand everything that's going on in my body to feel comfortable. Right now, all I know is I'm bloated and edgy. It still doesn't feel real yet! Again thanks for the reassurance :) 

Married 9/20/14 

BabyFetus Ticker

• I had confirmation blood work but only because I'm on a military base and they have to refer me out. Don't worry they'll be stabbing you plenty of times  :D
    I do understand the want to get things rolling though and make sure everything's ok.
  • I've had 3 losses and chose not to do the blood work. Trust me, as a very anxious person myself the blood work only serves to make you more anxious!!

• I'll take a little different of an angle. I had a loss last time at 6 weeks, and this time, my doctor wasn't even going to do HCG draws until I requested them.  I don't think having them done hurts anything, so if you don't have a doctor supportive of your wishes, I'd shop around. 
  • Forgive me for being blunt but, my last pregnancy my HCG levels doubled beautifully and I still miscarried. 

This time, my betas are almost doubling and I'm still pregnant. 

Save yourself A LOT of headache and skip the betas. Quite frankly, I wish I didn't know my levels and if I lose this baby, I plan to refuse hcg checks in the future even though I more than qualify to get the levels checked (this is my 7th pregnancy. I have 2 living children). 
  • I second the posters that say the blood work causes more anxiety.  I had betas, but only because I also just had a loss.  Waiting for the results causes a lot of extra anxiety and still doesn't guarantee anything.  I means you're producing hcg but doesn't tell you if anything is developing properly.  This early, the betas are just about as good as a pee stick.  
    Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I sincerely appreciate all of your thoughtful feedback. I'm new to this, so it's all helpful. Best wishes to everyone for sticky babies and healthy 9 months!!
    Married 9/20/14 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Pee confirmation was all they did for my past 2 pregnancies, which are now my sons.  This time they did bloodwork only because I am bleeding and they are worried about miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy.  My HCG isn't rising normally so they were even more worried, but shockingly there is a heartbeat as of Friday.  

If you are proceeding normally there is no reason to even get HCG levels at all, but they are often done.  The same is for early Ultrasounds.  Remember that for many of us were never ultrasounded as we were growing in our moms.  It just wasn't done at all even a generation ago, and sometimes that seems better, and there is less to worry about.