March 2017 Moms

Wish my ob would see me

Just found out last week I was pregnant... Again. Lo is 9 months old. I called my ob and I'm about 4 weeks now and I said I wanted to scedule to be seen. They said they wouldn't see me until 8 weeks for blood work and ultrasound and check up. Even though I've gone through a pregnancy before I still get scared. I want to know the baby is okay... Or that I'm still pregnant.'such a fear of the unknown. I haven't bled not in too much pain but I just need to know. Think I'm going to call Monday and scedule the apt for when it's 8 weeks so at least I have date to look forward too. Anyone else going through the same? 

Re: Wish my ob would see me

• Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    edited July 2016
    That sounds pretty typical. The only time I've seen them see you sooner is if you have a history of multiple losses. 

Read the thread "when is your first appointment" to find everyone's appointment times.

ETA: it is totally normal to schedule now for your 8 week appt.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Totally normal. Congrats on being pregnant:) Book your 8wk appt and get excited for that day!
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • Loading the player...
  • This is normal. I had my first intake appt already but the actual appt with my doc to do ultrasound won't be until I'm almost 9 wks. 
  • Normal. I was only seen earlier because I had severe pain and spotting.
  • I'm actually due in Feb but I lurk here too because I'm betting actual delivery date will be in March. If you are ok with being labeled crazy, you can probably get an earlier appointment. I got one at 5 weeks because I called and when they told me they'd see me at 8 weeks I told them I hadn't had a pap in over a year and also that I was fine with them thinking I was crazy but that I wanted to come in for reassurance. I had to be pretty firm about it but they caved.

I didn't care if they thought I was nuts, but if you do then maybe pushing as aggressively as I did won't work for you. I'm switching to midwives at 8 weeks after I see the heartbeat so what my OB thinks about me won't have much of an impact on me until the next one comes along and I do this again  :)
  • migdala said:
    I'm actually due in Feb but I lurk here too because I'm betting actual delivery date will be in March. If you are ok with being labeled crazy, you can probably get an earlier appointment. I got one at 5 weeks because I called and when they told me they'd see me at 8 weeks I told them I hadn't had a pap in over a year and also that I was fine with them thinking I was crazy but that I wanted to come in for reassurance. I had to be pretty firm about it but they caved.

There really isn't a benefit to being seen at 5 weeks. 
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • Buy a big box of pregnancy test strips on Amazon...like $7 for $25 and take them to your hearts content until your appointment. That's pretty much all your OB would do at this stage of the game. 

Also with my first I came across this mantra that helped the anxiety: Today I am pregnant.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @AverageAsh There definitely was for me, so to each her own!
  • migdala said:
    @AverageAsh There definitely was for me, so to each her own!
    It may have served to calm your nerves but in terms of what can actually be done/said 5 weeks is extremely early. An US can't pick up a heartbeat at that stage. A home test with a week's estimator is a far cheaper way to pass the weeks before an appointment. For the sake of healthcare costs in America, please don't encourage people to make appointments that aren't necessary. 

A healthy pregnancy is almost a year of waiting. This is just the beginning.
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • @AverageAsh Actually, if I hadn't gone in, I wouldn't have been prescribed the prenatal that I need due to a vitamin deficiency.  I am B12 deficient and get weekly injections.  Had no idea that if you have a certain type of B12 deficiency, you also cannot absorb folic acid.  With my type of B12 deficiency, I need methylated folate.  Really glad that I went in, as the OB took my medical history, pointed this out, and prescribed a prenatal with methylated folate.  If I had just kept on taking the prenatals with the normal folic acid, I would've been folate deficient and that has potentially terrible outcomes for the baby.

Healthcare costs in America are not affected by well-woman visits or routine check-ups.  I am hugely in favor of greater preventative care -- spina bifida or other folate-related defects would be much more expensive to treat than my early OB visit.  Of course, if you are comfortable waiting, then by all means do so!!!  But if you want to go in early and are willing to be pushy to get that appointment, that's okay too.  We all do what we think is best for us and that's the way it should be.
  • migdala said:
    @AverageAsh Actually, if I hadn't gone in, I wouldn't have been prescribed the prenatal that I need due to a vitamin deficiency.  I am B12 deficient and get weekly injections.  Had no idea that if you have a certain type of B12 deficiency, you also cannot absorb folic acid.  With my type of B12 deficiency, I need methylated folate.  Really glad that I went in, as the OB took my medical history, pointed this out, and prescribed a prenatal with methylated folate.  If I had just kept on taking the prenatals with the normal folic acid, I would've been folate deficient and that has potentially terrible outcomes for the baby.

Healthcare costs in America are not affected by well-woman visits or routine check-ups.  I am hugely in favor of greater preventative care -- spina bifida or other folate-related defects would be much more expensive to treat than my early OB visit.  Of course, if you are comfortable waiting, then by all means do so!!!  But if you want to go in early and are willing to be pushy to get that appointment, that's okay too.  We all do what we think is best for us and that's the way it should be.
    Lying to your provider just to get an early appointment because you feel like a speshful snowflayke is not okay. Manipulating your OB each time you get pregnant and then dropping them like its hot for midwives once you've used them? Judging you. Especially now since you know he prenatal you need why you would do this for future pregnancies is beyond me....

DD1 born 11/2014

DD2 born 6/2016

• migdala said:
    @AverageAsh Actually, if I hadn't gone in, I wouldn't have been prescribed the prenatal that I need due to a vitamin deficiency.  I am B12 deficient and get weekly injections.  Had no idea that if you have a certain type of B12 deficiency, you also cannot absorb folic acid.  With my type of B12 deficiency, I need methylated folate.  Really glad that I went in, as the OB took my medical history, pointed this out, and prescribed a prenatal with methylated folate.  If I had just kept on taking the prenatals with the normal folic acid, I would've been folate deficient and that has potentially terrible outcomes for the baby.

Lying to your provider just to get an early appointment because you feel like a speshful snowflayke is not okay. Manipulating your OB each time you get pregnant and then dropping them like its hot for midwives once you've used them? Judging you. Especially now since you know he prenatal you need why you would do this for future pregnancies is beyond me....
    Ummmm how did I lie to my OB?  WTF?

If OP (or I, or any other woman) wants to go in at 5 weeks because she's a) nervous in general, b) worried about something specific, or c) just has a gut feeling that she should go in, THAT IS OKAY!  So weird that people get all up in arms about a routine check-up!!!  What is the harm?  I had a feeling I should go, I went, and I'm so freaking glad that I listened to my intuition and did so.  Not like my OB is booked weeks out and I'm taking the appt from someone else ... they take an hour and a half for lunch every day because they're so slow, for Chrissakes.  This is such a bizarre thing to get up in arms about.

Also my OB knows I'm switching to midwives and is totally cool with it ... OBs don't do water births and she's happy I'm doing a water birth sooooo this is not a dramatic thing lol.
  • migdala said:
    migdala said:

Ummmm how did I lie to my OB?  WTF?

If OP (or I, or any other woman) wants to go in at 5 weeks because she's a) nervous in general, b) worried about something specific, or c) just has a gut feeling that she should go in, THAT IS OKAY!  So weird that people get all up in arms about a routine check-up!!!  What is the harm?  I had a feeling I should go, I went, and I'm so freaking glad that I listened to my intuition and did so.  Not like my OB is booked weeks out and I'm taking the appt from someone else ... they take an hour and a half for lunch every day because they're so slow, for Chrissakes.  This is such a bizarre thing to get up in arms about.

Also my OB knows I'm switching to midwives and is totally cool with it ... OBs don't do water births and she's happy I'm doing a water birth sooooo this is not a dramatic thing lol.
    Saying "oh I need a pap so you'll just HAVE to see for pregnancy too tee hee" there is nothing they can see at five weeks. Pee on a stick at home. Going in at five weeks and having women see nothing at five weeks gets them all worried about nothing 99% of the time. Just not a fan of strong arming a medical provider to get what you want simply because you feel special. 

DD1 born 11/2014

DD2 born 6/2016

• migdalamigdala member
    edited July 2016

Saying "oh I need a pap so you'll just HAVE to see for pregnancy too tee hee" there is nothing they can see at five weeks. Pee on a stick at home. Going in at five weeks and having women see nothing at five weeks gets them all worried about nothing 99% of the time. Just not a fan of strong arming a medical provider to get what you want simply because you feel special. 
    Lol it HAD been more than a year since my last pap.  I didn't force my OB to see me, I just pushed back when they initially told me 8 weeks, and they let me come in at 5.  The nurse actually told me she'd been working there for 20 years but when her daughter got pregnant she dragged her in at 4.5 weeks.  They seriously don't care, they're happy to take my money and give me peace of mind.

You do you, lady.  I'll be over here doing what I think is best for me and this baby, somehow learning to live with the judgment of internet randos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Unless you have a history with loss, IF, or a known issue that can cause loss, there really isn't a point in going to the OB so early.  Typically you won't get an U/s until the 8 week point anyways because that's when "dating" the pregnancy is more accurate.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Don't really feel the need for a fight. I completely understand why someone would want to go in before 8 weeks. Trying so hard to conceive a baby in the first place is hard enough for some then having to have patience while you have no idea for 5 weeks if the baby inside you, you've been dying to create and have and love is okay. Already had a baby, went through it the first time and now going through it again. For me the anxiety of pregnancy doesn't get eaiser but it's all worth it at the end when you hold your LO and of course I know there really isn't much to do before the 8 week mark, but maybe seeing the doctor or midwife and easing some unwanted anxiety is completely normal and completely okay. Judging someone for there motherly instinct to have to know there child is safe and okay is wrong. Judging someone at all is wrong. If I could go to the doctors every single day my entire pregnancy just to hear the heart beat and know everything's okay, I would. That's just me. So woman don't worry, I do. This is my second time around. I know the drill. I created this so woman can be heard and supported. Pretty positive that is what this community part of the app is for. 
  • You don't even need to have a pap every year.