December 2016 Moms

Sports While pregnant

I am in a sand volleyball league and a Kickball league.  When I first found out I was pregnant I continued to play for a while, then my husband starting to get uncomfortable and wanted me to stop playing because sadly we lost of first baby 6 months ago and we both are very worried of something happening.  I do agree with my husband on not playing I would rather play it safe....but I also feel very judged about not playing I have many friends who have talked about them or people they know playing pretty far into their pregnancy. I know being active is important, but I am unsure of what to do here. 

Re: Sports While pregnant

• I personally would not play those games while pregnant. Too high of a chance to fall on your belly or get pelted in the stomach by a ball (I love those sports, btw). There are a lot of other activities you can do to stay in shape! 

Don't compare your pregnancy to others, either, and don't let them make you feel bad! Every pregnancy is different, and shame on them for trying to make you feel bad. If those people are comfortable playing sports with those risks, ok...but you are not wrong for playing it safe.
  • I ski and play indoor volley ball. Asked my OB when I first found out and she said up to 12 weeks baby is protected behind your bone, after that it starts to be above your pelvis and there is greater chance for injury with impact. If you tend to get hit in the stomach, or if there is a good chance you might (from falling, diving, rouge balls), I would stop. I stopped skiing early (but weather is a factor for that haha) and played my last volley ball game at 15 weeks... End of the season anyway.

The takeaway I got is as long as you feel comfortable with a sport you can continue. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I played indoor volleyball the first month I was pregnant, as we were still in spring league. I didn't play to my 100% ability, like diving and doing a lot of jumping, as I wanted to take it easy but still be involved. Some teams we played were very competitive and I knew that some of their players liked to hit hard... so I'd either lose a point for the team if it came my way, or make sure I was protecting that area when it happened. Luckily, we only had a few weeks of season left, but still. Some nights were harder than others, like if I was tired or had no energy.

My team normally plays a sand league in the summer, but 2 of the gals we play with (they didn't play spring) were pregnant, and the 2 other gals we played spring with didn't want to play sand... so we didn't sign up. In that league, it's pretty relaxed so I probably could have kept playing. Heck, some teams come to mainly drink and we'd stand around scoring points talking to one another as competition was rare. But, was happy that we didn't sign up so I didn't force my team to find another girl when we usually struggled finding girls to play.

I also stopped going to a core workout class when I found out, just so that I didn't jeopardize anything in that region - FTM here. I still went to Zumba, but toned my moves WAY down. I went from burning 800+ calories in that hour to just around 400 on average.

18 weeks now, and I won't play any sports until AFTER the baby is born. Some of my teammates knew they'd lose me at some point, so I'll probably pick it up again next spring if they get the team together.

Volleyball and Kickball can cause direct hits to that region, so I would stay away. I wouldn't worry about being judged, you need to do what's right for you and not what others think. Quite a few years ago, when I played softball, one of the gals stopped playing when she found out she was PG. I thought it was odd, but now I get it.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Baby is pretty protected by the amniotic sac and fluid. If it is something you have been doing before getting pregnant, then your on typically won't have you stop - just cut back. That being said - if you are uncomfortable then stop.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• I take a cautious approach. I don't play sports or bike while pregnant beyond the first 2 months or so. For me, it's just a few months and the risk isn't worth it.
    I do climb indoors though. The risk for me on top rope is less than the risk of walking down the street.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • @slartybartfast FI and I were climbing (indoors) right after BFP until MS hit. Then I couldn't handle the hour long car ride to and from the gym. I made FI use the grigri 100% for me just in case. My family nearly lost their shit thinking I was endangering my baby. Hard to explain to people who don't know how unlikely a top rope fall is. 
    Now I feel well enough to start going back, but my harness doesn't fit. Are you going to buy the maternity harness? I've thought about, but not sure how much use it'd really get. 
  • While I haven't played sports in some time, DH and I do like to go out skeet shooting. I talked to my OB about it and he said baby was cushioned and fine. My parents aren't too keen on it (my dad goes with us sometimes) but if the OB cleared it who are they to argue? We bring plenty of water and go early in the morning before the heat gets out of control.
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• 1. Have you asked your doctor?

2. How's your balance, energy, risk tolerance?

I asked my Dr if I could keep playing softball and soccer at my first appointment at 5 weeks. She said no way. I played softball all season for 2 teams but was very cautious. No sliding, diving, getting in difficult base running situations...and I moved to outfield. If there was a ball I wasn't sure I could handle, I took the error and ran after it. Around the end of the season  (16 weeks) I started struggling with Balance and tripped a few times. Luckily it was the last 2 games cuz I decided that was it.  I quit soccer immediately because I felt the risk there was much greater. I never told my Dr I kept playing but did ask a friend who's an ob who said it was fine until 12ish weeks as baby is protected, but be smart and make modifications. 

At this point in our pregnancies, I would not risk it with those sports. I'm still swimming, running, walking....but no ball sports, no team sports....it's not worth it to me. 

Also,  when I told my softball teams I got two very different reactions. One team (all men plus me) never let me play again. The other team (half women) were like "I played until 4/6/9 months and did fine" but the men immediately were more cautious  (putting in pinch runners, reminding me not to slide...). But it didn't matter what others opinions are, do what's right for you. People will get over it.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @tinattt23- the gym I go to has loner pregnancy harnesses. Ask if yours does!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • @slartybartfast That's awesome! FI canceled our membership when during first tri. And now we're moving in two months so I don't want to pay the initiation fee again :(

maybe be our new gym will have them though. I'll be sure to ask!
  • I have played volleyball 2 or 3 nights per week, year-round for the last decade. My indoor season ended mid-May and my doctor recommended I not play summer sand due to the increased chance of injury. The injuries she was most worried about were things like sprained ankles and knee injuries due to the changes in ligaments and tendons during pregnancy as well as else incidental (getting hit, falling, collisions, etc.). Although I miss volleyball terribly, I couldn't fathom dealing with an injury while pregnant. And to be honest, I don't have the PTO at work to deal with one!

other workouts like walking and swimming have been strongly encouraged. I'm still lifting occasionally, but doing more body-weight exercises than anything. 
  • aframe77aframe77 member
    edited July 2016
    All about comfort level. My first trimester with my first pregnancy I didn't change a thing, horse back riding, softball, lifting and still climbing ropes at the gym, by the second trimester I cut down on high impact activities (no indoor soccer league that year) and stopped workouts that's just didn't feel quite right. I found intuition and listening to my body was my best guide. 

This pregnancy running around after my 15 month old is my main sport. Although I'm thinking of starting to take him to the rock gym. He climbs everything in the house! A climbing guide told me they make full body harnesses for toddlers (because they're so top heavy) anyone have any experience with toddlers and top rope climbing? Would you recommend it? 

I also LOVE swimming while pregnant. Especially toward the end, you feel so light! 
  • aframe77 said:
    All about comfort level. My first trimester with my first pregnancy I didn't change a thing, horse back riding, softball, lifting and still climbing ropes at the gym, by the second trimester I cut down on high impact activities (no indoor soccer league that year) and stopped workouts that's just didn't feel quite right. I found intuition and listening to my body was my best guide. 

This pregnancy running around after my 15 month old is my main sport. Although I'm thinking of starting to take him to the rock gym. He climbs everything in the house! A climbing guide told me they make full body harnesses for toddlers (because they're so top heavy) anyone have any experience with toddlers and top rope climbing? Would you recommend it? 

I also LOVE swimming while pregnant. Especially toward the end, you feel so light! 
    I used to work at a rock wall and would belay toddlers. I think it depends on the toddler but I never had one where it actually seemed to be worth it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • @aframe77 Never personally climbed with a toddler, but seen it a fair amount at the gym. Even more so once you get it 3-4 age range. They all wear full body harnesses and cutest little shoes. I've some some 6 year olds kick ass lead climbing so clearly they started young. I say take him at a less crowded time and let him play around and get comfortable with everything. I think it's never to early to expose him to it. 
  • @slartybartfast and @tinattt23 thanks for the advice! I can see how at his age it could be a waste of money, since his attention span is essentially a nano second. I think our local climbing gym have a family night we might check out just to gage interest.  Definitely something to consider for the future:)