Trouble TTC

Clomid question (child and loss mentioned)

Hi ladies. We have been TTC a second Child for well over a year. We had a failed IUI this March and a loss last June. We have what they call unexplained infertility. Before the IUI my dr suggested clomid but we thought the IUI was the best bet. Now I'm going to try the clomid but I'm confused how it works if I'm already ovulating On my own. Will it change my cycle? Does it force ovulation? I have an appt next week but I'm just curious about how it works from people who have actually tried it. 
TIA 

Re: Clomid question (child and loss mentioned)

• I take Clomid, but it's because I don't ovulate on my own. 
    I'm curious to see the answers you get. 
  • My dr said I would release 2 eggs. At least I think that's what I remember him saying. It will increase the chances of getting pregnant. We met with him a few months ago and we were interested in the clomid right away so I can't remember all the details 
  • Loading the player...
  • I take Clomid because I don't ovulate.  I have read about doctors prescribing clomid to increase egg production.  Sorry I don't have more info for you but It doesn't sound like you are comfortable with this plan.
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!
  • Ditto to what other's have said, it will make you ovulate more than one egg most likely, and thus increase your chances of one of them fertilizing. Did your Dr. warn your about the increased chance for a multiple pregnancy? 
    My Dr. didn't want me taking clomid alone (unmonitored), because of the risk for multiples, some doctors are more comfortable with it I guess.

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• Clomid causes your pituitary gland to release the hormones needed to stimulate ovulation. If you are already ovulating on your own it will just make your ovaries work harder possibly causing you to ovulate more than one egg and upping your chances of getting pregnant that cycle. There is also an increased chance of multiples in these cases which I hope you Dr made you aware of! 

Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: August 2014
    TTC #1 Since March 2015
    Diagnosed with PCOS March 2016
    SA results normal April 2016
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + TI = BFN
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + IUI = BFN
    Uterine polyp removed July 2017
    Round 1 IVF January 2018

• He did make us aware of it. i wasn't uncomfortable with this plan I just thought the IUI would work and it didn't so now I'm considering this method. 
  • Were you on any medication for your IUI cycle? Most RE's combine clomid or letrozole with an HCG trigger and then an IUI for the best odds. We are considered unexplained IF as well, and were told we would still only have a 10% chance with each medicated IUI cycle. Hopefully you will get some questions answered at your appointment :) GL!

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• I ovulate on my own and my RE prescribed clomid to produce a "stronger" ovulation to try to fix my LP problems. I was on 50mg for 3 cycles and produced 2 eggs, 2 eggs, and 1 egg. It didn't work for me, but we are dealing with male and female factor infertility.
  • I'm taking Chlomid right now for the same reason. I have SUPER regular cycles. The dr said it should increase egg quality and amount. Hubby has low-ish sperm count, so we are not too worried about multiples, and we are okay with having them if it comes. For my first cycle I ovulated right on schedule. I was however an angry / crying mess. If we get pregnant though, I don't care! 

Together 9 Years, Married 3 Years
    DH (33)  Me (29)
    TTC 1.5 Years

We know that suffering produces endurance; endurance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us. 
    -Romans 5: 3-4