May 2016 Moms

All things diapers

What diapers have you used so far? What are your opinions on them? 

Have you found that you needed to go to the next size once your baby reached the minimum weight on the next size or did you stay with the same size to the maximum weight? 

Any diapers you want to try and want opinions on? 

Re: All things diapers

• What diapers have you used so far? What are your opinions on them? 
    Pampers- I love
    Luvs- 2nd favorite 
    Huggies- we had 1 or 2 leaks but otherwise no complaints 
    Shoprite?- my sister got diapers for my baby shower but she doesn't remember the brand so I'm pretty sure it's the store brand,  surprisingly good 
    CVS- love the size tab indicators,  DH left a diaper on her from 9-7 so it was super full and while he was feeding her she peed through the diaper into him! So I suggest changing frequently! 

Have you found that you needed to go to the next size once your baby reached the minimum weight on the next size or did you stay with the same size to the maximum weight? 
    About 3 weeks ago she was 8.7 lbs so we finished the newborns we had then went to 1. The pampers seemed a little big on her but the Shoprite and CVS now fit better. Will probably use the 1s till we run out and she reaches 12 lbs.

Seventh Generation 
    Well Beginning - we got these from our baby shower 
  • After experimenting with DS1, we use pampers swaddlers, or baby dry/cruisers if they're on sale. I love the swaddlers. I don't change sizes until I have absorbency or fit issues. With DS1, he would commonly outgrow the rise of the diaper when it was time to switch.
  • Loading the player...
  • kbrands7 said:
    After experimenting with DS1, we use pampers swaddlers, or baby dry/cruisers if they're on sale. I love the swaddlers. I don't change sizes until I have absorbency or fit issues. With DS1, he would commonly outgrow the rise of the diaper when it was time to switch.
    This. I will only buy pampers now.  Swaddlers to start, then when DD1 was a little older we used the baby dry ones for nighttime and then we recently used cruisers for her as a toddler and liked those. I've tried a few other brands from shower gifts like seventh generation, honest company, and huggies and just like pampers best. Huggies always leaked on DD1. We would move up a size when we had fit issues or multiple leaks in a row (I usually tried to use up the last of the old size first though).

We are doing cloth now but had some to use up Honest, Huggies, Pampers, Luvs. My number one is Panpers Swaddlers and Cruisers (loved these with DS#1) Huggies aren't bad, I will use them, but prefer Pampers. I hate Luvs now, they feel like you are wrapping LO in tissue paper. 

I never never pay attention to the weight limits printed on the package. I size up when they are getting too small-watch for leaks or blowouts-usually in the rise of them. 

Not really, we have a large cloth stash and will stick with pampers if we need to use sposies. 
  • #1 Pampers (swaddlers for the day and baby dry for night). #2 Luvs. #3 Honest Company. #4 Huggies.

DH cannot function without the stripe that changes colors. Because apparently feeling/checking sides of the diaper or knowing that's if it's been 3 hours then likely requires a change is IMPOSSIBLE!

I'd like to try targets brand (heard good things), but we have so many diapers from people that we most likely will not need to buy any until LO is almost 1!
  • OMG the big kids were obsessed with the blue stripe! 
  • Pampers is my fav, have only tried swaddlers because it's soo soft. Definitely want to try the baby dry too.

Then Huggies then Luvs

I would not recommend 7th Generation. If I didn't get them as a gift, I would not use them.

I love Huggies wipes though! They smell so good!!

@Kennedy0830 we have resorted to smelling baby butt to check for poops lol
  • @Kennedy0830 I had heard good things about Target brand, but DS1 was a heavy wetter and he always smelled like pee in that brand. They just didn't keep him dry enough. If your LO doesn't make heavy diapers, they may work well for you. 
  • kitandcatkitandcat member
    edited July 2016
    I've used Pampers, Huggies and Luvs. I love Pampers... They seem to fit right and are super absorbent and I love the color stripe and the tabs are great. I don't like Huggies because several times we had poo leak out the side of the diaper. And I don't like Luvs because I don't like the tabs, they're not sticky enough or something. 

I haven't put much thought into the TYPE of pampers yet! we've been in such a "survival" mode since LO was born, opening new boxes in a rush and I just haven't even looked at what's what!! I'm definitely going to compare swaddlers to the baby dry and see if we need daytime vs nighttime diapers!! 

We still have SO MANY DIAPERS ... at my shower people brought diapers to enter into a raffle, and then DH had a "diaper party" with his friends. So we've got a long way to go still but once we run out we'll be doing the Amazon subscription to get 20% off diapers that will be delivered right to our door! We already have Prime so well worth it. 

Love this thread and hearing everyone's opinions!!

Edited because I forgot this part... LO hit 10 pounds right when we were running out of newborns... I thought the newborns seemed pretty small once he was ~9 pounds but DH thought the 1's were way too big before he was 10 pounds. He's still fitting into 1's really well and he was 11 3/4 pounds 3 days ago. 

i assumed he would be in 1's for a long time... I mean, TWELVE POUNDS?! I can't believe he's almost done with them and only 7 weeks. We have so many boxes of 1's we have to exchange. I pray he stays in 2's for an extremely long time because I can't handle the thought of my little boo being more than 18 pounds :(:(:(
  • We have only used disposables during the newborn phase, or when traveling/ if baby had a particularly nasty rash that needed heavy duty diaper cream that wasn't cloth-friendly. As a baby Pampers were great, but once I weaned my son at ~15 months he got horrible diaper rashes every time he was in disposables. Like his butt was blistering and bleeding. We had tried basically every all natural brand of diaper out there, and someone eventually suggested Seventh Generation's touch of cloth line (not regular 7th gen, those feel like you're diapering your child with a paper grocery bag) and all of his rashes pretty much cleared up. So we've been using those with this baby too, because my husband thinks it's better than going with a cheaper store brand or pampers. I'm cheap though, and when this pack runs out if he's still in New York I'm buying store brand!
  • arj14arj14 member
    We've tried Huggies Little Snugglers, Pampers Swaddlers and Baby Dry, and Up & Up (Target brand).  I like Huggies the best because I feel like they fit S the best, though we have had some leaking with them.  I think the leaking was mostly due to how we put them on her though.  I thought Pampers and Up & Up were pretty comparable, if I thought those were a better fit I would go with Up & Up for cost reasons.

We've tried both Up & Up and Pampers wipes... they're both fine.  Pampers is definitely more moist which I prefer for some situations more than others.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've only tried Huggies (got them from the hospital) and Pampers swaddlers (I bought). Both Dh and I prefered the Pampers, although we can't quite explain why. We've had to go one size up pretty much at the minimum weight of the next size mainly because our little guy makes big poops. At this point, I don't see a reason to explore other options as we're satisfied with the Pampers. 
  • We use Pampers Swaddlers and the Kirkland (Costco) brand, both in size 1 (it's a little bit big, but it vastly reduced her chances for heat rash, which is an issue here in Tx). I prefer the Pampers, because I feel like I've had too many blowouts/leaks with Kirkland, but none with Pampers. Really want to try the baby dry ones, though. And I loooooove the Huggies wipes. They're so soft!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We use Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive and regular Swaddlers. I used the sensitive ones for DS1 too until he sized out of them but I think they make them in his size (5) now. He has very sensitive skin and every other diaper we've tried (baby dry, cruisers, Honest, Huggies) have irritated him immediately.

With DS1 he sized up pretty rapidly for the first 6-8 months, but has been in the same size for about a year now. As soon as we had a blowout we moved up in sizes. 
    We've used Pampers, Pampers Sensitive and Huggies.

Pampers: Great, no issue. We recieved a few packages as gifts and have used them up.
    Pampers Sensitive: Even better than the standard Pampers. This is the brand we buy.
    Huggies: Just no, for us anyway. Within one day of using Huggies diapers, with no other change to her daily routine, Ainsley had a significant diaper rash. We went back to Pampers and the rash was gone within the day. I also thought the Huggies were more cheaply made, despite being the same price. 

We switched Ainsley to size 1 right at ten pounds. She's a longer baby so she was able to stay in newborn until then.

No, I think we're solidly a Pampers household!
  • I've only used Pampers swaddlers with LO. With my first I loved the swaddlers and once she started crawling and walking I liked Huggies. I went up in size once the NB ones seemed too small. Not sure her weight at that time. 
  • We got an amazing Black Friday deal for a years worth of honest diapers and wipes and I love them. They've kept the biggest of blowouts in the diaper and we haven't had a leak yet (knock on wood). We were gifted some pampers swaddlers and had to buy some to use until the first order of honest diapers got here and I really liked those as well. We jumped up sizes when the diapers were getting too small on DD and haven't used the weight recs.
  • vulpinivulpini member
    edited July 2016
    DS1 has eczema and generally sensitive skin.  We found out the hard way that he would get a really nasty diaper rash from any diapers with that blue gel on the inside (Pampers Cruisers and Pampers Baby Dry, for example).  We have used almost exclusively Seventh Generation Touch of Cloth and Seventh Generation Overnight for him since he was about 1.5 years old to avoid dyes in diapers as much as possible.  We also used Seventh Generation Free and Clear (the brown ones), but I prefer the feel of the Touch of Cloth line.

Just to be on the safe side, I'm sticking with sensitive skin diapers for DS2, in case he also has the same skin sensitivities as his brother.  So far we've used mostly Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive or Seventh Generation Touch of Cloth (my two preferred brands - I buy whichever of the two is cheaper with Amazon Prime or at Target).  When there was a good deal, I also bought and tried out Honest and Babyganics.  Neither impressed me enough to justify the higher cost, but I'd get them again if on sale.  No blowouts or leaks with any of them so far.  I haven't used any Huggies since DS1 was a newborn and leaked a lot with the pack we got.  They have a sensitive line too, but we haven't tried them.  

With DS1, we would start getting leaks and would need to switch sizes when he hit the minimum weight for the next size.  He is skinny but tall and they would get too short on him and leak up the back.  DS2 switched from NB to size 1 at 8lbs, so it might be the same pattern for him.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • bkjadebkjade member
    We have used Seventh Generation Free & Clear, Pampers Swaddlers, Honest, Bambo Nature, and Target. 

None of them were terrible, but I love Bambo since they are the closest thing to earth-friendly I can do that isn't cloth, which doesn't work for us in our apartment with no laundry. A bit pricier than the rest, but with Amazon subscribe & save it's not too bad at all. They fit great, we haven't had any blowouts or leaks, and we go overnight in them no problem. Soft fabric, less chemicals next to my LO's skin, and the company is very focused on sustainable and Eco-friendly practices. 

Seventh Generation - I felt like I was diapering Jet in a brown paper sack. 

Pampers Swaddlers - second place, they fit well and DH LOVED the wetness indicator.

Honest - loved all of the cute prints.

Target - slightly better than Seventh Generation, but still not great.
  • We have only used pampers swaddlers and they work
    for us. We upsized based on fit rather than weight requirements. 
  • We are using Huggies. My husband works for the company that makes them so that's what we've been using them. I like them so far. We have had a few blowouts but I'm not sure if it was the diaper or just the way I put it on her.
  • We have been going back and forth between pampers swaddlers and Huggies. Each brand we have had equal Diaper blow outs so no preference between the two. DH doesn't like the honest co diapers. He loses his mind if the diaper doesn't have the pee stripe indicator ... Haha hence the reason the honest diapers didn't work out for us DH couldn't Manage without the pee  stripe -sigh- 
  • I just got a big box of Kirkland diapers from Costco. I like them except they smell like baby powder which I hate. Perfect size for DD and so much cheaper than anything else I can find down here. 
  • We've used Huggies overnight, Pampers Swaddlers and Baby Dry, and Up & Up brand (Target).

Huggies and Pampers overnight ones work well, but can only be used overnight- LO starts getting red if we use them more than that.

Swaddlers work very well and never irritate LO's skin!

Up & Up - found that there were at least several in the box that had no stickiness on the tabs, so we had to get out scotch tape to use them. You also can't fix or check for wetness without losing the adhesive. They irritate LO's skin and leaked through frequently. Never using again!

LO moved up to a size 1 around 9 1/2 pounds. He's been in a size 2 since around 12 3/4 pounds. We're hoping not to move him into a size 3 for another 2-3 months.
  • I've tried pampers swaddlers, Huggies, and luvs. Currently using the luvs because with Amazon prime subscribe and save I can get them for $.10 a diaper which is unbeatable. They seem thinner than Huggies and pampers but I've actually had a lot less leaks with them. Only leaked twice now to think of it and they were over night diapers where LO had it on for at least 6 hours... 
  • We have tried Huggies, Pampers, Luvs, Honest Co, and a couple other random samples that I don't remember. Hated hated the Honest Co and random samples--cheap feeling and leaky.

Luvs are ok, but really do seem like tissue paper--definitely lower quality. We got a huge box of them for our shower and when DH saw there was no indicator stripe, denounced the entire brand lol. Saving those for daycare next week! ;)

Pampers are nice (we had swaddlers, overnight and something else) but just seem kind of "medium" quality to me. Not my too pick but a fine second. We had a couple blow-outs with them, but that may have just been due to her being that akward size that isn't quite right with either N or 1.

Huggies Swadders (we *have* to have the blue stripe lol) are the clear winner with us. They seem so much softer and more cottony. I like the material, thickness, and how they fit on her. The velcrow tabs seem better than others, too. They just feel hogher quality over-all. No leaks ir blow-outs yet, and she has dine long night stretches in them, too. No rashes or irritation. 

We also tried a TON of wipes and as much as I didn't think I would care, I ended up also preferring huggies brand. They smell good and seem nice and thick with a soft texture. I'm surprised how many out there are just flimsy or rough.

Started ordering in bulk through Amazon--so awesome!
  • Pampers swaddlers, huggies something and luvs something. Not really able to buy the expensive stuff like honest. Babies are expensive enough. Huggies was aight. Didnt seem to fit right and the tabs were small and difficult to work with or see as they were the same color as the diaper. He had some blow outs in them. Hated the luvs. That is all.  :p. Swaddlers are working great. Only rash in the beginning and not sure which diaper i was using then. Now i put a layer of vaseline between him and the diaper once a day
     None since. 

He held onto the newborn size for awhile, only 6lbs at birth. But when it was time it was obvious. You know cause of the poop up his back. Now instead of waitng for a blow out im just going to have the size 2 on hand as he is approaching the weight limit. I'll try them at least once a week until they fit. No pooping on mommy please.