April 2016 Moms

Bottle feeding and nipple size

How do you know when to move baby up to the next nipple size? We're currently using a level 1 Dr browns with exclusive breastmilk. DD is 12.5 weeks old. 

She's suddenly started spitting up a lot. Thoughts?  Thanks

xp on 3-6 month board

Re: Bottle feeding and nipple size

• jonesl12jonesl12 member
    edited July 2016
    We are still using a preemie dr Browns nipple at 12 weeks because she's BF as well as bottle fed because I work a few days a week.
    the size one would drownd my LO.

is baby is fussing and gets mad while feeding it's too slow and if baby chokes, gags,gulps,or milk comes out the side of their mouth it's probably too fast

spitting up after can be a sign of over feeding too.
    how many oz ?
  • We were told that we don't need to worry about moving him up sizes with the nipples. That he can keep using the same size the whole time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @jonesl12 she's not choking or dribbling out sides at all. She actually turns her head side to side as if she's not interested in eating. She's taking about 3.5-4 oz at a time. 

@WBORDERS yes, we kept DD2 on a level 1 til she was done with bottles. But she didn't do what this baby is doing. 
  • @jonesl12 how is your DD doing now by the way. I saw you post about your elimination diet a while back.  Is she feeling better? Did you figure out the culprit? 
  • @jonesl12 how is your DD doing now by the way. I saw you post about your elimination diet a while back.  Is she feeling better? Did you figure out the culprit? 
    Sounds like you are doing everything right!

Yep I figured out what was causing all the spit up and bloody diapers you ready?....

We put her on nexium and I cut out 
    all forms of dairy, soy, nuts, eggs, tomatoes, chocolate, onions, chili pepper and cauliflower. 

Dairy and and soy are in everything! Even some lunch meat and alcoholic beverages.

so I've been on a super strict diet the past 8 weeks and she's like a new baby!
    however I'd probably do some shameful things to be able to eat a single slice of pizza lol 

• jonesl12 said:
    @jonesl12 how is your DD doing now by the way. I saw you post about your elimination diet a while back.  Is she feeling better? Did you figure out the culprit? 
    Sounds like you are doing everything right!

Yep I figured out what was causing all the spit up and bloody diapers you ready?....

We put her on nexium and I cut out 
    all forms of dairy, soy, nuts, eggs, tomatoes, chocolate, onions, chili pepper and cauliflower. 

Dairy and and soy are in everything! Even some lunch meat and alcoholic beverages.

so I've been on a super strict diet the past 8 weeks and she's like a new baby!
    however I'd probably do some shameful things to be able to eat a single slice of pizza lol 

Wow! So is it all those things? Or you think just the dairy and soy? 

I  can't imagine what's left for you to eat after cutting all that
  • @jonesl12 she's not choking or dribbling out sides at all. She actually turns her head side to side as if she's not interested in eating. 
    YES! We are in the exact same situation. Probably over the past week LO like never finishes her bottle in one go. She will start turning her head or moving the nipple around with her tongue. I just bought the level 2 and so far today she seems to be finishing all of her bottles better so I guess only time will tell! It wouldn't hurt to try though! We just started with a pack of 2 until we see if that was the problem. Good luck!
  • Watch the thrush, Avoid ear infection,Prevent colic attacks,bottle sterilizer