December 2016 Moms

2nd Tri Weight Gain

hi ladies! So I had a bit of a confusing run in with the nurse at my appt today. When she weighed me, I was up 5 pounds from my prepregnancy weight. She seemed a little shocked so I asked if that was normal and she said it was a bit much for this early...I'm 17 weeks. So cue the "I really wanna punch you in the face." My OB didn't say anything about it...but isn't 5-10 pounds normal by now? Just need some easing of the mind.

Re: 2nd Tri Weight Gain

• I'm up 15 pounds and my midwife isn't concerned. (I am, but whatever.) I eat mostly okay and exercise regularly...I guess my body just wants to hang onto everything I eat. Just take care of yourself, feed your baby, and you should be fine! I'm not a professional, but that nurse seems cray.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • I'm up 11 lbs from pre pregnancy weight. Doctors aren't concerned at all. I think it's most important to be eating right and staying active. I was told 2nd trimester it's normal to gain around 1 lb per week. 
    Me 32 DH 34
    Married 9/2012 

TTC #2 starting 9/2019
    BFP 7/13/2020!
    Due 3/18/2021

TTC #1 since 2/2015
    Diagnosis: Unexplained Infertility 9/2015
    IUIs #1-#5: 9/2015-2/2016 all BFNs
    Moving to IVF with ICSI and PGS 5/2016-6/2016  Just kidding, BFP 4/4/2016!
    Spencer Elliott born 12/7/2016

• Loading the player...
  • I went to my 16 week appointment last week and my doctor said, and I quote, "Up 5 pounds so far this pregnancy, excellent!" I think a lot of it has to do with what your pre weight was, what the goal for the pregnancy is, and many other things.... it's going to be completely individualized for each person and if your doctor didn't say anything I wouldn't worry :smile:
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm 18 weeks and down 15 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. My nutritionist was upset, she said that she would have expected to see a gain of 5-7 pounds. So your gain definitely sounds within a normal range, at least to me. I'm not a doctor though.
  • I've gained 9 pounds already at my 16 week appointment. That's too much for me but my ob wasn't at all concerned and told me good job. I'm limiting portions and trying to exercise a little more. I did well with ds and would like to stay under 25 pound tots weight gain again. 
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I came close to not passing my glucose test, so my OB told me to limit carbs and eat more protein. And ever since then, I have been maintaining my weight and haven't gained or lost at all. When I went in again at 15 weeks, she's like, you should be starting to gain weight by now...and I'm like, YOU put me on this diet! LOL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • I was on the lower end of average weight when I started
    so they said 20-25lbs would be ideal for me...with my last PG I was 10lbs heavier and they told me 25-35. Maybe that has changed too in 4 years? I used to run alllllll the time up until about 6 weeks and I've been trying to be more active since the awesome first tri nausea has subsided. But thank you guys for easing my mind! She was really nice up until then...but maybe she was having an off day...or maybe she was just cray. ;)

@karabearr lol that is crazy! I don't think they know what they're talking about sometimes!

@sourlemon This pregnancy has been completely different in every way from my first. I told my DH I think this baby is going to be a bigger trouble maker  :p

• When I first found out I was pregnant, I was at 141lb...not my finest as my ideal weight is 125. But 141 is right at the edge of a normal BMI for me. I'm now weighing in at 147 with 3 pounds being added in the last week alone just crossing into 19 weeks. I've been eating healthily, drinking water all the time, etc. I asked my midwife about it and she said as long as I don't have massive swelling in my hands and feet and my fundal measurements continue to be on, then there's no call to worry. Five pounds is fine if you are checking the right boxes nutritionally and drinking enough fluids.

I'm thinking of it like this:  kids go through growth spurts all the time. They pack it on for a few weeks then suddenly elongate. I'm guessing my 3lbs is all baby packing it on for a big growth spurt.
  • @1MommyRunner I swear this one is a boy (don't know yet) because how different this pregnancy is. I keep joking with DH that we will have confirmation it's a boy at the AS...like there's no other option lol. We shall see. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @MaggieG183 BMI is not recommended much anymore for gauging healthy weights. It doesn't take into account different body types and some other things. Just a heads up. @1MommyRunner weight gain is relative. I have gained about 3lbs and was getting in trouble by my nutritionist, but I started at ~280lbs. Last pregnancy at 20ws I was down 50lbs and they didn't say anything. Depending on your water retention you are absolutely in the 'average/healthy' gain.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• According to my scale at home, I've gained about 10lbs. since finding out I was PG. From my 12-week appointment until my 16-week appointment, I only gained 4lbs. from the scale at the hospital. The scales are about 5lbs. off, from what I can remember... I just know that they're not the same.

I had advised that I started at a certain number according to my scale at home, and my OB was like, "Oh, yeah... I didn't think you had gained 13 lbs since the last time you were here, ha". At this point, she wasn't worried at all and figured I'll probably gain the average amount with the pace I'm going.

This all shocks me as I have been eating as well as I can, with some splurges, but have barely worked out. So, I thought I'd be up a lot more right now. However, I had been struggling to lose even 5lbs. in the last year with my diet and a great workout schedule (gained close to 10lbs, and a majority of my pants don't fit that I have been wearing the last 5-6 years), so I figure my body just hates change. *lol* I am really watching the gain though, as with that losing weight struggle... I feel like I am going to have a hard time losing the baby weight.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• sourlemon said:

I think sometimes the body is going to do its thing no matter how hard you try to control it. 
    I agree with sourlemon. I'm on my fifth pregnancy an my body does what it wants no matter what I want it to do.

Pregnancy 1 baby girl: stricked diet an kick boxed up until I was 8 mo.; Gained 40lbs

Pregnancy 2 baby girl: no exercised except chasing a toddler diet was so-so; Gained 40lbs

Pregnacy 3 baby boy: exhausted from having a 3 year old and a 1 year old, bad diet, zero excercise; Gained 55lbs

Pregnancy 4 baby girl: great diet, excercise do regularly; Gained 40lbs

Pregnancy 5 baby boy: diets good, excercise is getting more consistent; 17 weeks total gain so far 14 lbs

I have never had a doctor or nurse say something to me about my weight gain. The weight has always came off after baby, sometimes it took longer than others but it comes off adventually. Take care of you and your baby and don't let what that nurse said get to you! 
  • I gained like 14 pounds in the first month, then at my first appointment found out I was having twins. My doctor said I probably gained so much at first from eating lots of carbs, since that was all that sounded appealing to me. Since then I've cut way back on carbs, but I still feel like I'm always eating. I haven't gained anything more...almost 18 weeks now...but today I couldn't button my jeans that I've been able to button this whole time -_- I asked my doctor if I should be gaining weight when I saw her a week ago, but she said I was fine.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just to add on... I know the gain is inevitable, and is happening for a good reason. I've just one to watch what I eat, count calories and hope the scale doesn't move for so long that it's been hard seeing it increase like it has. But yes, @sourlemon, the body will do what it needs to do and that is OK! I just need to remember that and not worry so much.

• I've lost weight since getting pregnant so I am no help. I just know my nurse was fussing at me about it and OB said it was fine.
    December 2016 August Siggy Challenge: Embarrassing Back to School Pics

BabyFruit Ticker

• l9il9i member
    @em01092 I'm same as you.  Although, I haven't lost drastic weight I'm 15 weeks and still down 2lbs.  My OB has said it's no concern and if it swings too drastically between appointments then we'll talk about it.  I know it's likely due that in my 1st tri only fruits and veggies sounds appealing (where has that been my entire life?!) but it still worries me that I haven't gained even though they say it's fine.
    Me: 26 & DH: 25
    Married: August 2014
    TTC since November 2015
    BFP #1 12/17/15 - MC 1/28/16
    BFP #2 4/22/16 - EDD 12/30/16
  • I could have written the same post today! Pre-pregnancy weight was 155, at 16 weeks I'm 159. I've only gained 4 pounds. Doctor said " It's fine for now but you don't want to keep gaining 4 pounds a month that will be a lot to loose at the endd." Seriously woman! All the paperwork you gave me said 1 pound a week is normal. And I'm not a shorty I'm 5'8". I was really upset when I left her office. If I do gain 4 pounds a month to the end it will only be 28 pounds total. Ugh.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm 19w (baby measuring closer to 20) and so far gained about 11lbs. I gained almost 5 within the last week, so I'm assuming it's leftover 4th of July splurges and backed up bowels lol. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• I'm up 10 lbs and will be 17 weeks tomorrow! NO one has said anything.  I feel like this is more than with my others, but every pregnancy is different. 
  • Also, weight gain during pregnancy is never paced out evenly.  You might gain 0 lbs in the first tri, then 10 lbs in two weeks in the 2nd tri, then slowly gain and then have it taper off. That was my pattern with number 1 and I gained 40 lbs total. 
  • Pre-pregnant started at 121. I like to be down under 110, but had put on some pounds moving. At 5 foot nothing, a few pounds makes a pretty big difference. I dropped 5 or lbs first tri. Now I'm hovering 119-120. So pretty much net nothing. OB said nothing last appointment. Figured I'll keep trying to gain healthy weight but not stress too much until a doctor seems concerned. 
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    According to my scale I'm up about 4 at 17 weeks. But our scale is not very reliable. I actually asked the nurse at my appointment how much I had gained when she weighed me and she said "oh I have have no clue, I'd have to pull out your chart", but then never did so I'm back to ignorant bliss. So weird how some practices seem to have put more weight (ha..pun there) into what's "good or bad". 
  • So fat this pregnancy I have lost 3 pounds. This is my 3rd pregnancy and no doctor or midwife has ever commented either way on weight gain (2 different practices). I gained a lot with DS and only 17 pounds with DD. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Your doc sounds weird to me. Up 5lbs at almost halfway through your pregnancy and your doctor is concerned?? For me personally, I'm 5'4'' and normally around 118 lbs. I am one to watch my weight, make sure I eat healthy, but not diet like crazy or exercise religiously. 

1st pregnancy I gained 32 lbs

2nd pregnancy I gained 30 lbs 

3rd pregnancy (this one) I am 18 weeks and have gained 11lbs.

And my nurse today actually told me in the phone that my weight gain is perfect and that the faintness and weakeneds I've been feeling lately may be because I need to add a small snack or two to my diet right now. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • aframe77aframe77 member
    edited July 2016
    Last time I was concerned because I lost weight in the first trimester and didn't start gaining until around 20 weeks when all of the sudden I gained about 10 pounds in one month. Of course this also freaked me out but my doctor said no worries.  I ended up gaining around 30lbs.  Five of my girlfriends gave birth around the same time and our weights were all over the map and we all had healthy happy babies. 

Now I have no idea what I weigh but I'm trying to be a little less indulgent with food because getting the weight off the first time was difficult and tough on my body. 
  • @Kacie209 I'm right there with you! All my life gaining weight has been such a bad thing to me so switching my brain to be happy about it is extremely difficult. I had a heavy weekend with lots of travel and swelling and weighed in 10 pounds up at my 16w appt. Up to that point I had gained nothing. My doctor just reminded me that my target weight gain should be 25-35 (Said most gain more) and just keep eating healthy and stay active as it's what's best for you and baby. Three days later I was 6 pounds down (seriously, water weight is annoying) and just keep reminding myself that it's completely normal and to make sure I intake lots of water and healthy foods! I noticed my body does a lot better when I stick to only water for fluids. Also, I'm almost 18 weeks and everyone keeps commenting on how I don't even look pregnant because I'm not growing outward much yet. Every body is so different!
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I would think 5lbs at 17 weeks is a good number, if not on the low side comparatively. The thing is that everyone gains weight differently during pregnancy so for your nurse to be concerned over 5 lbs I find really shocking. Your Doctor is the one that I would trust and since he/she didn't mention anything then I wouldn't worry about it. 
    With my two previous pregnancies I gained 32 and 30 lbs and I gained them completely different (my first I gained a lot in the beginning). This pregnancy, I'm 15 weeks 5 days and I've lost 2 1/2lbs so far but I've been throwing up a lot and I feel like I can't physically eat as much as I could prepregnancy. I'm overweight so losing alittle bit of weight in the beginning doesn't seem to be a concern of my doctors and he's seen me through two previous pregnancies, so I'm not worried. 
  • @temmetime Exactly! I don't feel like I have grown out, as much... but am a FTM so I don't know what to expect really. I see that number on the scale, and what it is now was what I weighed about 10 years ago, before I lost almost 20lbs. doing weight watchers. I then gained some back, lost some, gained some, and then finally lost some more to be at a comfortable weight (around 135ish). The last year, I had gained almost 10lbs., so I started this pregnancy more than what I wished I had. It happens.

This is the first week I have actually felt good, and hope it continues so I can get back to some workout routine and continue to just do my best at eating well. But, if my doctor doesn't seemed concerned then I shouldn't worry so much. It's just always in the back of my mind.

• TollerToller member
    @ErikandAfton
    Ummm 4lbs a month for 9months is only 36 lbs....  do you like this doctor other than this?? Was he/she having an off day?

My weight varies by probably 3lbs from wake up to sleep so.... a morning appointment versus afternoon are going to give inaccurate results if we're going to be that picky....

Pregnancy Ticker
  • hi ladies! So I had a bit of a confusing run in with the nurse at my appt today. When she weighed me, I was up 5 pounds from my prepregnancy weight. She seemed a little shocked so I asked if that was normal and she said it was a bit much for this early...I'm 17 weeks. So cue the "I really wanna punch you in the face." My OB didn't say anything about it...but isn't 5-10 pounds normal by now? Just need some easing of the mind.
    Uh that nurse is crazy. For people with a normal BMI, the sort of baseline rule is about 5 lbs over the first 13 weeks and then a pound a week (average) the rest of the pregnancy. Like others have said, it doesn't actually work like that but even if it did, you are definitely NOT ahead of schedule.

Last time I gained in spurts. Nothing for a few weeks, then BAM 3-5 lbs. Nothing for a month and a half then BAM 5 more lbs. Absolutely no clear connection to my eating habits or physical activity. I'm not under or over eating and my body is gonna do whatever it's gonna do.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • One question - are you muscular? I am built like brick house and people always think I weigh literally 20 lbs less than I do (I'm also on the taller end at 5'8" but wear flats in a world of heels). So nurses always put the scale thing on the wrong setting in expectation and then are like... huh...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • I didn't read other replies but that's an a-hole of a nurse!!! Five pounds is nothing... It could half be your lunch and poop! What a tool! I'm up 10lbs at 15 weeks and my MW said, "That's perfect weight gain, don't stress about it." Gah! Sorry... I'll stop ranting.  o:)

Due December 27th with baby #7

• swhiddon33swhiddon33 member
    edited July 2016
    What? That's....weird. I don't know squat really but my own story. I was 108 when I went in early April for my first appointment after my BFP. (I'm only 5'0").  At my last visit about two weeks ago I weighed 116 and she was pleased. So ~ten pounds in the same amount of time. I wouldn't let her comment worry or bother you! ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think just the range of answers here goes to prove the point that there is no right amount of weight to gain and no right pace at which to gain it!

I'm 18 weeks and have already gained over 10 pounds. I was VERY lean before (as in, I was working as a fitness model) so I'm sure my body is clinging to fat now to nourish baby. My doctor isn't worried about it, so I'm trying not to worry about it. Although, I'll admit it's hard as someone who has always worked so hard to maintain a certain look. 
  • Toller02 said:
    @ErikandAfton
    Ummm 4lbs a month for 9months is only 36 lbs....  do you like this doctor other than this?? Was he/she having an off day?

My weight varies by probably 3lbs from wake up to sleep so.... a morning appointment versus afternoon are going to give inaccurate results if we're going to be that picky....

I've gained 4 pounds at 16 weeks.  So  I have 6 months left that would be 28 pounds. And yes generally I like her. She was amazing with my miscarriage and is really understanding most of the time.  We have Kaiser so I'll be seeing someone else soon so I'll see what they say.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @slartybartfast That is exactly what happened to me! I stayed at 110 until about 12 weeks and then I gained 3 over a couple weeks, then 2 over the last couple. I didn't really change my habits! I did have pretty muscular legs and core from running prepregnancy. I have had people in the past think I was about 10lbs lighter than I was. I'm 5'2" and with a pretty petite build...I never really wore anything to show off my legs though lol so they had no idea  :p
  • Reading all these definitely does bring in to light that every woman and every pregnancy is different. I've always struggled with body image anyway, especially during this pregnancy. So when she said that I had a mini pregnancy meltdown. But thank you ladies for making me feel a million times better! Im going to embrace the growing bump!  <3 Forget what stupid people say.
  • I gained just over 40lbs last time and I ate horribly. I had chocolate in some form every day and ate too many subway sandwhiches. This time I'm up 2lbs at 19 weeks. I attribute some of that to digestive issues, though. My doctors never said anything with my previous pregnancy and it was a steady climb in weight until delivery. So long as you feel well and are making healthy decisions, you're fine. Everyone gains at different paces. 
  • silverfrostsilverfrost member
    edited July 2016
    That nurse had a slightly absurd reaction, imo. *eyeroll* I have gained 4 lbs. from my pre-pregnancy weight, and I am in week 16. No one (nurses, doctors, whoever) said a damn thing, and I'm fine with it, trying to eat relatively healthy, and feeling good. So basically, I would have had the same I-wanna-punch-you-in-the-face reaction.
    Type 1 Diabetic (high risk)