June 2015 Moms
Options

Zika

beemaya83beemaya83 member
edited June 2016 in June 2015 Moms
Hi ladies! So my husband and I decided we want to try for baby number two. We have a vacation scheduled to Mexico end of June. I contacted my doctor to get more info on zika virus. She recommended to wait 2-3 months after I return from my trip to start trying. This is a bummer. She also mentioned that if DH gets infected it can be passed on to me through his semen. Just wanted to share the info for those who plan on traveling to infected areas and are pregnant/and or plan on trying again. 
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Zika

• Options
    If you go to Mexico, the recommendation from the CDC and WHO is to start trying no SOONER than 6 months, Not 2-3 months. They are saying it stays in sperm for at least 6 months. I saw a Hispanic looking family at the zoo yesterday with what appeared to be a microcephalic baby. Sadly I think we'll start seeing more babies affected. 
    We canceled our Carribbean trip months ago and don't plan on going anywhere Zika affected until we are done with kids. Wear Bug spray and long sleeves if y'all still go. 
  • Options
    @jessieR358 really? This is scary 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This article says you can try if no symptoms after 8 weeks (6 months with symptoms) but they just don't know everything yet. I'd be cautious. 
  • Options
    We are going to Jamaica in January, so of course I am concerned as well.  I need to do some more research.  I thought I heard that if you are into your third trimester, risks for any complications from the virus go down.  But seriously who knows. 
  • Options

To me the concerns about men getting it are even more serious (assuming the woman isn't pregnant WHEN she gets it)...for women as soon as the virus leaves the body you're good to go.  For men they are as of yet unsure as to how long it can live in semen.  Apparently even once the virus clears the rest of the body, it can live in semen for MONTHS, and then be sexually transmitted.  I've already told DH neither of us is going anywhere that Zika is prevalent until either a vaccine exists or we are done having children (post-vasectomy, preferably).  It's not worth the risk.  Mexico and South American and the Caribbean will still be there when my child bearing years have ended.  They can wait.

DH tried to tell me that he would just go without me to the destination wedding we were invited to in Jamaica this December, and I was like "I don't think so, but nice try."  If not for Zika, we would have all gone.  Now none of us will.  We travel separately regularly, so that is not an issue, there's just no way I'm taking this chance, especially when I'm hoping to be pregnant again by then.  I don't understand why the bride and groom decided to book the wedding in Jamaica when Zika was already there, but that isn't really my business.  I'd think we're not the only invited guests who are declining because of this.

• Options
    @delujm0 ahh to this exactly!  The reason we are going to Jamaica is because of a destination wedding.  SO's little sister is getting married.  We already have our tickets booked (with insurance), we will have some decisions to make as the date gets a little closer. 
  • Options
    beemaya83beemaya83 member
    edited June 2016
    It'll be just me and my husband on this much needed vacation. We will be very cautious. I know of two pregnant women in the family who have gone to Cancun. One of them has already been tested for zika. Luckily none has tested positive yet.  My thought is to leave it up to God. Who is to say my next baby might have other birth defects non zika related. I will wait a few months after my trip to try for baby #2 to say the least.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We got married in Jamaica in January 2014 and there were no mosquitos what so ever, if that helps with any decisions! There is no humidity there that time of year and I would just skip anything in the jungle to be sure :) just thought I'd throw that out here because as a destination wedding bride, I would be freaking out about people canceling! Haha 
  • Options
    Thanks @steph0727 that does ease my mind a bit!
  • Options
    We're doing a Caribbean cruise in February. No plans to TTC for a least a couple of years so I'm not worried about the horrendous impacts on pregnancy, but I'm somewhat concerned about Zika in general. Like, what is the (non-reproductive) impact if you get Zika on vacation? I've heard fever, headaches, but fairly mild, but most of the information I've heard is about how it effects pregnancy. 
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    We're doing a Caribbean cruise in February. No plans to TTC for a least a couple of years so I'm not worried about the horrendous impacts on pregnancy, but I'm somewhat concerned about Zika in general. Like, what is the (non-reproductive) impact if you get Zika on vacation? I've heard fever, headaches, but fairly mild, but most of the information I've heard is about how it effects pregnancy. 

yeah I've heard much the same...potentially flu-like symptoms and/or a rash, and a lot of people actually don't have symptoms (or easily mistake it for a run of the mill cold).  if I wasn't planning to TTC and was using birth control for at least 6-12 months after returning, I would go without thinking twice about it.
  • Options
    @KonaCoffeeBean I thought it was just flu like symptoms or no symptoms. However, we went to the DR in March and our butler showed us pics of him in the hospital when he got it and aaid he would rather die than go through that again, so I have no idea. 
  • Options
    I have heard of one case of a death related to Zika but it was an older man. He died of internal bleeding. The virus caused a condition called DIC. 
    We went to St Croix for our baby moon and every hotel room has mosquito netting on the balconies. Apparently they get mosquitos but there weren't any that we saw in February. 
    The Zika mosquitos are also daytime ones not just active at dusk. You can have all of your clothes coated in permethrin before you go for extra protection.  
  • Options
    New study around women in Columbia. If I had a wedding or something on the Caribbean, I'd just go and not even worry about it. I wouldn't go to Brazil as something is going on... https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160624150813.htm
  • Options
    @janat1717 thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Hi ladies! I returned from vacation (cancun, Mexico) and wanted to let you know we did not have any mosquitos. Not one! I still used repellent just in case. 
    Pregnancy Ticker