Hospital Concerns — The Bump
Multiples

Hospital Concerns

Hi ladies!

I am 11 weeks pregnant with twins and I just found out that the hospital that I am supposed to deliver at does not have a NICU for babies born before 31 weeks, so basically if I go into labor before 31 weeks, they will either send me to a different hospital (where my OB may not be able to deliver) or they will have me deliver there but transport the babies to a different hospital (which has a great NICU from what I have heard but is in a really sketchy area).

I absolutely love my OB and don't necessarily want to change doctors just on the off chance that I will go into labor early and need to deliver at a different hospital but with twins it is always a possibility. 

What would you do? Thoughts? 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Hospital Concerns

• What kind of twins are you having? I'm having modi but if I was didi I might be willing to stay at a hospital that couldn't accommodate really early babies.  My hospital is in a sketch area, but it's not like I hang out outside.  They're the best hospital in the area for what my babies might need so that trumps other stuff for me.  It's where I had my son as well, because the medical care is excellent and that's where my ob delivers anyway. 
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• Are there some health concerns that lead our to believe you'll have your twins that early?
  • Loading the player...
  • If you aren't a scheduled csection- what are the odds of your OB delivering? After hours/weekends with my OB group you got whoever was on call.
    it would be important to me to be in the same hospital as my babies. 

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Our twins are Di-Di. There are no health concerns yet, however I am only 11 weeks. My cousin had twin and she went into labor (unexplained) at 25 weeks, so that is always in the back of my head. My OB is a family friend, so he said unless something crazy happens, he wont be putting me in the call group and he will deliver me. I know there is such a small chance I would go into labor early, just wanted to get some outside opinions. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Is it missing a level 3 or 4?  I would make sure at a minimum there is a level 3 NICU no matter what, but in the less likely chances you need a level 4 NICU they should be able to transport babies.  I have had several friends deliver before 30 weeks and only needed a level 3 NICU.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I would personally have them in the hospital where they provide a great NICU. Not to scare you but if you do  deliver early, its such an emotional roller coaster. You would want to be in the same hospital with them. 

I delivered my identical boys @ 33wks5 days but my water had broke @ 30 weeks 1day & i was on bed rest in the hospital for almost a month. 
    After i had them they took me back to stop my bleeding, they set my boys up in the incubator & then let me see them. Its not easy being a preemie mom. & youre gonna wanna be there. Throughout my pregnancy i had 7 different doctors & in the end the 6th one i had was the one who delivered my boys. I had only seen her once before, but she did the deed.

But i pray your twins wont be born too early & you make it all the way! Its not something i wish an any parent. Good luck!
  • I had didi twins at 38+4, my hospital was fantastic but there was no NICU. If needed they airlift to Mayo in Rochester MN. I had no health concerns and carried my singleton to 40+5 (and had to be induced). 
    You're so early and since your OB is a family friend I'd assume he would let you know if he was concerned. If he's not worried, don't you worry.