June 2016 Moms
Options

Anyone else's baby cry when husband holds

our daughter seems to only be fond of me lately. Whenever my husband holds her she screams and cries. Same thing for most others who try to hold her. I try and tell him it's not him she's just used to me since she lived in me for 9 months and im nursing. He is so upset idk what to do. I know she will eventually slow her roll but that isn't making. Him feel any better. 

Also so now in a little concerned for her for when I go back to work. 

Re: Anyone else's baby cry when husband holds

• Options
    Try getting her all relaxed and milk drunk then have your husband hold and snuggle her. Rebuild his confidence si he isn't throwing off any vibes and she starts to associate him with a comfortable place to be. Skin to skin works really well too, so having her down to her diaper and his shirt off and snuggling on the couch or something.
  • Options
    I've tried the milk drunk. Didn't work. I do think the problem is that she can sense he is nervous or anxious, part of the problem. I will try skin to skin. thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try holding her kinda between you and let him keep a hand on her tummy or something and talk to her is a soothing voice.  That way she's in your arms but she sees and feels him.  You can also try and get her swaddled and asleep before passing her to him so she doesn't feel the shift of movement as much.  Finally try and incorporate things that smell like him. Maybe wear the shirt he wore that day while you nurse her before bedtime.  Anything to associate his smell/sound with nice feeling. Then work your way into having him pick her up to sooth her.  These worked for my hubby cause we had the same issue for the first two weeks.
  • Options
    Same thing is happening with my son. He enjoys being soothed with loud shooshing and his head/face being held so I have hubby snuggle him while I rub his head/face and shoosh him so he still calms down with dad and snuggles dad, and it's not me constantly taking him from hubby. Once he's calmed down baby will sleep with dad for 3 hours so it definitely helps build his confidence again. 
  • Options
    My husband was worried our son would only associate him with diaper changes, so I recommended he had Daddy and Me tummy time at least once a day, just the two of them. We do tummy time together as well, plus we do bath time together and a bunch of other stuff. He also takes him outside with him at night when he lets the dog out to do her "business," so more Daddy and Me time and it gives my husband a chance to share some of the outside world with him without me hovering. 

He is on paternal leave at the moment, so he does have the added benefit of being home during the day with our son and me.
  • Options
    xc1148xc1148 member
    Yes, it's very normal for babies to only want momma :) Have him try skin to skin, and different activities. Make sure he spends quality time with LO, not just holding the baby when you need a break, or when the baby is fussy etc. It's just a factor of time, the more time they spend together the better it gets!
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    Henry got better with my husband this week actually. He usually holds him with no shirt on, he'll walk around and talk to him while holding him chest to chest then once Henry falls asleep hell lay on the couch with him sleeping on his chest. He can now hold him with no crying unless he's hungry 
  • Options
    Yah my husband is getting a little more time now. Depends on the day and her mood, she's moody like her mama lol! He is afraid to do skin to skin because of his prickly chest hair. Lol