March 2016 Moms
Options

Ears pierced?

Just wondering if anyone has had their babys ears pierced yet?  Thinking about taking DD soon.  I feel bad that the initial pierce will hurt for a few seconds (I remember having my 2nd holes done as a middle-schooler) but I'm more concerned that they might be sore when she lays on them to nurse, which is like every 2 hours all day long.  Just looking to see what other peoples experience has been, did the earrings seem to bother your baby for a while after they were pierced?  
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ears pierced?

• Options
    I have not had my daughter's ears pierced yet and I don't plan on it. I don't want anyone to get butt hurt about it because its just my opinion. 
    However I had my 2nd holes done when I was in high school (still in the lobe not cartilage) and it hurt so bad! I had severe pain and couldn't sleep for anything. I had my top holes done a few years later and it was the same thing. In had nothing but problems with them. I know when DD is older she wouldn't remember getting them done now or the pain but that doesn't mean she didn't have it. I just prefer to wait until she's old enough to ask for it and take care of them. And she can tell me if they are bothering her. If hate to get them done now and it not work out and then when she's older and gets them redone they would have to go through scar tissue. OUCH! Not fun! Plus she may decide she doesn't want them pierced at all! Just my thoughts there.

On a side note, my sisters all had theirs done as a baby (4months I think?) and not a single problem with any of them! They all said they they'd much rather have it done as a baby and not remember it! Good luck OP! Do what you feel is best!
  • Options
    I remember getting my ears pierced as my birthday present in 5th grade. I was old enough to want them and to take care of them myself. I felt so grown up going to get them pierced! I plan on waiting with my DD until about that age too. The days following her 2 month shots were rough enough and I already have too much going on to add ear cleaning to my list....I'd rather wait a few years! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My niece had hers done at 4 months. Her mom put a numbing gel on them about an hour before and she was fine. As for nursing, have you tried a different position where she wouldn't have to lay on them. My DS and I do lay back nursing where I basically recline and lay him parallel to me on my tummy. Kind of like how he would be in a carrier but he puts his legs straight down. It's actually really helped with his digestion as well as my comfort, but point is he doesn't put his ears down, he's just kind of perched on top of my breast, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    amyidamyid member
    It was my plan all along during pregnancy to have them done but now I can't stand the thought of doing something I know will cause her to cry :/ 
  • Options
    We got our daughters ears pierced done at 14 weeks. I knew I would as soon as I found 9th I was having a girl. My sister freaked out and cried and walked around with one pierced ear for days until we convinced her to get the other one done. And it's sad knowing that they'll cry but the pain only lasts a moment. My DD is now15 weeks and she hasn't shown any discomfort at all. Not when she eats or lays on her side, not even when I clean them. The solution is a little cold so when it first makes contact with her skin her eyes get big for a second but then she let's me get back to business. And she's doubly adorable with her earings. Hopes this helps!
  • Options
    I'll be waiting until she's older and asks to pierce her ears just like my mom did with me.  It doesn't seem right to put her through that just because I may want them.  
  • Options
    If you do get your LOs ears pierced I'd do some research. Personally I wouldn't want some teenage retail worker with zero experience or training. Look around and ask questions and try to find someone who maybe is licensed. Also I've done some research of my own regarding this and the guns they use could still have germs from other people and could cause an infection. I'd look for a place that uses a hypodermic needle. Most places like this though won't do the piercings until the child expresses wanting them. But again, these are my opinions and as much as I'd love for my daughter to have hers done I think I'll wait until she is old enough to ask. 
  • Options
    My mom had mine pierced when I was 15 weeks old. She said that I didn't display much discomfort during my feedings afterwards. Do what makes you happy! If you want to get them pierced go for it! I'm personally happy my mom did it when I was so young because I'm a wuss when it comes to pain and probably never would have done it but am so glad they are pierced. I would look for a tattoo parlor that does piercings as they have to be licensed, they use needles instead of guns and they are very sterile. Best of luck  to you!!
  • Options
    Waaaaaaait I thought they couldn't be pierced until 6 months?? At least the places in my area won't pierce any younger than that...I thought. 
  • Options
    thanks for all the replies and the suggestion to use a different nursingposition- why didn't I think of that!
    i discussed ear piercing with my pediatrician today at Evelyn's 4mo checkup and she recommends waiting until after baby has received 2 tetanus shots (today was her 2nd). After that she said that doing it as a baby or waiting until around 11 is ideal.  Most kids start asking around 5-6 but at that point they aren't responsible enough yet to actually care for them and she sees the most problems arise in that age group.  She also said that our local piercing pagoda uses an entirely disposable system to pierce the ears, so it's safe.  And the only infant she has ever had with a problem is when the parent chose a really tiny stud and it became embedded in the baby's earlobe, so make sure to chose large enough studs.