Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

SAHM

Anyone else tempted to be a stay at home mom instead of returning to work after maternity leave ends? For those who have done this is it working well for you? 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Re: SAHM

• Options
    My son was born in the beginning of March. I didn't go back to work. Financially things are a bit tight, so I'd recommend working out some sort or budget to even see if living on a single income would be manageable for your family.

That being said, getting to be with my son all day every day is the most tiring, wonderful and fulfilling experience. Sure, I'm cooped up in the house way more than i would like to be, and all the cooking and like 98% of the cleaning generally falls on me but I'd rather that than trusting someone else to look after my son (family issues etc, etc). Fair warning though, there are good days and bad days. Some days he naps like a hibernating bear and I can cook and clean while he sleeps and I feel like super mom. Other days i don't even get to brush my hair and I feel like an ogre.

If it's possible, I probably won't get another job until he is in school, and ideally I'd work part time during his school hours and would be off on time to pick him up. 
  • Options
    After my second son was born I was stressing about going back to work but knew we couldn't survive on my H's salary alone. He also wasn't happy at work so I modivated him to find a better job he would enjoy. He had some contacts that wanted to hire him so that helped. I went back to work for 3 months and then quit once he started the new job. It's not for everyone and I have the urge to punch people when they ask me what I do all day, non SAHM moms. But I love it most days, sometimes we just need a break and it's important to make time for yourself. That's one of the hardest things but it's wonderful to be able to stay at home in my opinion. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I quit my job to stay home.  It's been a month with DS and I actually left work at 6 weeks because I got severe HG.  So far I'm happy I did it cause I can give DS all my attention.  I couldn't imagine getting the little sleep I do and then go to work everyday.  I give a lot of credit to working moms. Especially moms who pump and breastfeed. It's so demanding.
  • Options
    DS was born in February and I'm loving being a SAHM. It's definitely a privilege and it works for us. Both DH and I can't imagine doing it any other way. We'll reassess once he's old enough to go to school. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Options
    I was forced out of my job in the third trimester. I know it was illegal, but I had no idea at the time and now it's too late to to anything about it. I love being a stay at home mom! I hated babysitting and kids In general, but I really would have this any other way!
  • Options
    I have been a stay at home mom for almost 8 years. I didn't plan for that, but was laid off from my job when I was like 6 months pregnant with my first. I was going to go back to work after she was born, but couldn't stand the thought of sending her to daycare. I wanted to be with her all the time. 

Money has been tight and we've made sacrifices along the way, but wouldn't have it any other way. 

Also have to say I do get stir crazy sometimes. SAH can be very isolating. I miss the adult interaction a lot. And once my 3 are all in school,  I will be working at least part time.

As long as your SO is on board 100% I say go for it.
  • Options
    After my second son was born I was stressing about going back to work but knew we couldn't survive on my H's salary alone. He also wasn't happy at work so I modivated him to find a better job he would enjoy. He had some contacts that wanted to hire him so that helped. I went back to work for 3 months and then quit once he started the new job. It's not for everyone and I have the urge to punch people when they ask me what I do all day, non SAHM moms. But I love it most days, sometimes we just need a break and it's important to make time for yourself. That's one of the hardest things but it's wonderful to be able to stay at home in my opinion. 
     Exactly this. With my salary it didn't make sense to go back to work. I wanted to stay home anyways but I didn't want my husband to be super stressed with only one salary. It's tight but he did get a new job that pays more thankfully. I love being home with dd, some days are easy and some can be hard. I don't mind being at home a lot but it can be crazy sometimes. 

Some mom's are better mom's going to work. It's a lot to think about what you think you will like. I didn't want to do daycare if I went back to work because dd wouldn't get as much attention and a nanny was way too expensive and I wanted to be there for milestones. Literally have to look at everything and see what works best for your family! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I worked as a Pre-K teacher before I got pregnant and was planning to leave during my third trimester and be a SAHM. I ended up leaving during my first trimester due to numerous reasons. I'm so happy that I left when I did because it allowed me to keep up with the housework and still find time to rest during the day. My daughter is now 11 days old and I couldn't imagine sending her to daycare, not to mention most of my paycheck would have gone to pay childcare expenses, so there really was no point. This is our first child and we're hoping to have two more. I will probably go back to work part time once they are all in school, but until then I am grateful for the opportunity to stay at home with my child.