Breastfeeding

Pumping while in the NICU

I'm sure this has been posted 1,000 times so I apologize, just in a time crunch and not great at searching. 

I gave birth Tuesday, my baby was 32 weeks, 6 days so to the NICU she went. I started pumping that night and haven't had any problems but I've got a few questions now. 

4 days out, I'm pumping about 8 times a day and once at night. I was told to pump 15-20 minutes but my milk is still flowing at that point. I've gone up to 30 minutes and while slower, am still getting milk. I'm getting anywhere between 50-90 ML each time. I guess I'm conflicted, do I stop at 20 minutes so I don't over produce? if not, when do I stop? I've been on google all day and keep getting completely different answers!
Thanks in advance!

Re: Pumping while in the NICU

• I personally would pump until your milk stops. That will allow you to have a stash of milk store up in case you go on vacation or something away from your LO. That's not to say that's the correct thing but I would try to take advantage. 

Congrats on on your LO and hope for a speedy recovery for you both
  • Congratulations on your new baby! 32 weekers are amazing! My oldest was 32w2d and caught up with peers developmentaly by about 1 year.

Personally,  I would continue to pump until milk stopped flowing. I typically pumped 30-40 min every 3-4 hours while we were in the NICU.  I produced so much that what I pumped at the NICU during the day was enough to make it through the night so I froze everything I pumped at home. I ended up with a huge freezer stash! 

With that being said, I did experience extremely painful engorgement and even mastitis a few times during the 17 months I breastfed. So I encourage you to fans a balance that works for your family. 

Best of luck on your NICU stay and nursing/pumping journey!

Oh, one quick tip. Video tape your baby cooing, crying or making any type of noise. Having these videos and pictures helped encourage let down when I was home at night. Plus, they're just so precious! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Pump until your milk stops flowing or you could wind up with clogged ducts.