January 2017 Moms

Nature's Valley Granola Bar Recall

Hi ladies!  If you buy Nature's Valley Granola Bars, make sure to check your cabinets and toss them out of they're part of this recall.  Listeria concerns over the sunflower seeds in them.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/General-Mills-Nationwide-Recall-of-Nature-Valley-Bars-384545191.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nature's Valley Granola Bar Recall

• Thanks for posting - I literally just bought some yesterday :( 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Loading the player...
  • I swear, I know it's probably just being hyperaware because pregnancy, but it feels like this summer EVERYTHING is being recalled because of listeria.
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    I was just thinking the same thing @canavara. There seems to be so many recalls lately. Makes me nervous to eat anything. I'm even contemplating just steaming all my veggies at this point because even eating those makes me nervous. Anyone know off hand if steaming veggies kills the nasty stuff?
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    @jlea05 I believe the golden rule is above 160F? (Someone correct me if wrong). I would imagine steaming would get to that. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Vivi20Vivi20 member
    Thanks @cjs260 I'll do some digging around on Google, but I think you're right.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • @canavara I feel the same way.  Packaged salad mixes, frozen vegetables, now sunflower seeds/granola bars!  I really try not to get too worked up over this stuff, but it gets in my head that being pregnant means we have a higher risk of the bacteria infecting us and not being killed off by our (suppressed) immune systems.  

@jlea05 heating your foods to at least 160 degrees should kill the bacteria.

If anyone needs me, I'll be the oddball living in a cloud of bug spray this summer eating only things that I can heat to 160 degrees.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for this! 
    Erin - Boston, MA 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't know if anyone has linked this already but I found this useful to bookmark: 

https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/

You can also sign up for e-mail alerts about any new FDA recalls that take place. A lot of them are for things like failure to list nuts or milk in ingredients but there's quite a few spoilage/salmonella/other things that show up there that don't make national news.