2nd Trimester

acid reflux

daisyamersdaisyamers member
edited June 2016 in 2nd Trimester
I'm in week 25 and have developed painful acid reflux. Any natural suggestions? Tums lasts a few hours. Sprite a few hours. Looking for more gentle suggestions 

Re: acid reflux

• Try acid reducer pills if you are open to it not just tums they have been a huge life saver for me. And I've found eating smaller meals more frequently also helps. Another good one is to use the search function for acid reflux because many many woman have this issue and you may find even more and helpful advice in previous theeads
  • I ate Tums like CANDY but ended up having to get a prescription to manage it. : / 
  • Loading the player...
  • ecwkecwk member
    Yeah I don't see anything more gentle than Tums working if your reflux is that bad. Maybe papaya enzymes? I ended up having to take Zantac and even still I'd get heartburn. 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks ladies
  • My midwife has me taking Zantac.  Lifesaver!
  • Some suggestions that I do... I avoid taking any prescriptions....

Tsp or two of real lemon juice or organic ACV before each meal works and before laying down for me. I carry some in a small tincture bottle in my purse. 

Smaller meals. Don't drink a ton of water before bed. 

Papaya tablets like suggested.

I ask keep almonds at my bedside. 

If things get so bad that I am too uncomfortable or get woken up, I keep gaviscon in tablet form handy. Tums never work so I don't even bother. 

• Make sure your not eating a lot of fatty foods, increase veggies and fruit and stay away from spice. Diet is 80% to blame, the rest is hormones from pregnancy. Digestion is hard at 25 weeks, I'm in same boat but not with AR. I'm just bloated like food won't empty from stomach. It's miserable. I'm changing my diet, I'm day 2 and feeling way better. Exercise cuts back a lot of discomfort, I walk 15 min in morning, 15 min in afternoon and 30 min at night. Cherries are another remedy to help with acid reflux. 
  • I can't imagine Sprite helping at all... It's so citrus and bubbles don't help! ask your doctor if you can take Zantac.... I don't really think natural remedies can help much! But I heard ginger can help and so can sitting up for an hour after meals, avoiding citric foods and fatty foods. None of that actually works for me.
  • emilyalso said:
    I ate Tums like CANDY but ended up having to get a prescription to manage it. : / 

This, me too.  I REALLY didn't want to take a prescription while pregnant, and I put it off as long as I could...but once I had the preventative Zantac prescription in my system I completely stopped getting heartburn at all.  it was glorious.  If this happens in future pregnancies, I will get the prescription posthaste.  I had the one that you just took twice a day every day.  The heartburn completely disappeared when DD was born.
  • When do you usually get the acid reflux? It's worse at night for me and actually wakes me up it's so bad. I have to sit up for a good amount of time before I can lay back down again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • I've been getting bad reflux DAILY for about the past 4 weeks (I'm 20 weeks) no matter what I seemed to eat. Today I decided to skip coffee (I was only drinking a half cup a day anyways) and I have has ZERO heartburn today even after eating marinara sauce! So, I found my culprit. If you're a coffee drinker you may want to se if cutting it makes a difference for you :(
  • Ditto PP on the apple cider vinegar. I take 1 tsp diluted with 2 tsp of water. I use the little medicine dosing cups you get on the top of the kids Motrin bottles, and shoot it quickly, followed by a bit more water. It knocks the crap out of heartburn/reflux issues for me. I used to take Prilosec every day for it, but i haven't used my medication in over 2 years, because ACV is so effective. A lot of the time, there actually isn't enough acid in your tummy, and adding an acid (such as ACV) works really well.
  • My OB finally prescribed me a strong version of Zantac. I haven't been woken up by acid reflux in over a week now!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • Omeprazole. Aka Zantac or any other heart burn/ reflux med

Pregnancy Ticker