June 2016 Moms
Options

Carrier for Sickle cell/hemoglobin trait

I just received a letter in the mail regarding my sons newborn screening(blood work done at the hospital). It states that he is a carrier of sickle cell or another hemoglobin trait. 

He has his 2 week apt. Tomorrow so I plan to ask about it, but I'm just curious if any other moms have experience with this.  It says it is not a disease and will not cause baby to become ill...

Re: Carrier for Sickle cell/hemoglobin trait

• Options
    No personal experience, but basically it means he carries one S gene. It takes two S genes to get the disease, so if he grew up and had kids with someone who was also a carrier there would be a possibility that they could pass it on to their children. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lurking from july 

I have a friend who had issues with his spleen this past year. He was on a trip on a mountian and had horrible pain, and ended up having his spleen removed. The drs were attributing it to the sickle cell trait. Not sure how it worked, as he doesn't have actual sickle cells. You may want to do some research into altitude and sickle cell trait, but who knows. He was also in Afghanistan for almost a year with no issues, and that was a higher altitude than the mountian he was visiting.