September 2015 Moms

Help, modified Ferber not working anymore

LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
edited July 2016 in September 2015 Moms
we are miserable. 
 We've been doing this for over a week now and it's getting worse every night.
 He only slept through the night 2 nights,  and those are the only two times he's ever slept through the night and his almost 10 months life. 
 Is he just not ready??
 does it just not work for everyone??
 At what point do I give up because I dread this. 
 I was always told it was supposed to get easier and in fact it's getting more difficult and it's getting worse. 
 I feel so broken and I feel like the world's worst mom. 

Re: Help, modified Ferber not working anymore

• Kayciejoe56Kayciejoe56 member
    edited July 2016
    Follow your gut mama.  It is entirely possible your lo is just not ready yet,  or it's possible THIS strategy is not right for your LO.  My little guy has NEVER STTN.  But recently we have started some gentle training that is actually resulting in improvement.   2 months ago,  nothing worked... so we went back to cosleeping.  A month ago I started really pushing the crib for at least half the night.   If he woke before 2am I went and laid on the floor next to the crib.  Sometimes he cried 10 min,  sometimes 1 hour.   Either way,  I felt more comfortable letting him cry being there with him.   After he mastered staying in bed until 1 we pushed it to 5.  He still wakes a few times a night. But I don't have to pick him up to comfort him,  and it's slowly getting better.

Moral of the story is,  it's ok to wait until you are sure lo is ready.   It's also ok to modify any "sleep training" technique to fit your situation.  Nothing is black and white.   Set small goals you feel comfortable enforcing,  and give it a few days.   If they aren't working,  just adjust.  Don't get discouraged... my terrible sleeper is the joke of all my friends... but we are actually seeing some progress now, and without many tears  (most nights at least!)
  • Have you been really consistent with your method? If you don't treat bedtime and wakings the exact same everytime then it won't work.

Also, could he be teething or sick? Both of these will disrupt any sleep routine.  
  • Loading the player...
  • He just puked everywhere after 90 minutes. I'm done. I can't do this.
  • What's he even eating? Could his sleeping be affected by something new he is eating? 

Remember he will sleep eventually - it won't go on forever.  If it gets too much there is no harm in leaving him in the cot safely while you have a breather.  Even just have a quick hot shower and focus on your breathing.
  • @lovelee85 Can you please explain exactly what is going on in terms of your method? What is LO's schedule? These things will help us figure out where the problems are.  Lastly, I'm part of a sleep group that is full of people who are much more knowledgeable than I am.  If you are interested send me a PM.  They have helped numerous people pinpoint problems and fix them including myself.  

Sleep training doesn't always equal STTN but it does tend to equal much improved sleep.  DS2 still wakes occasionally but its around 5 am for a quick feed then out until morning.  This is a huge change for us and one that I am more than capable of managing.  It doesn't sound like that is the case for you.  Something else is probably going on.  Most of the time when someone describes a similar situation they have a schedule issue going on.  
  • LoveLee85 said:
    He just puked everywhere after 90 minutes. I'm done. I can't do this.
    What we did with our LO was check on him after 10-15 minutes max if he was still crying. We would then go in, pick him up, give him a big hug, calm him down, and then lay him down again (with his music, projector, and white noise machine on). It's heartbreaking to me to hear the little guy cry, so I feel your pain!

90 minutes is a long time to let a baby cry. I know others have done this and it's worked, but that would never work for me because I just couldn't handle it and don't want to see LO upset for so long. Maybe trying smaller increments and going in to check on him every 15 minutes would work better for you. We did it with bedtime and all naps at the same time, and during the day with childcare too, so it was consistent across the board. We also leave a small 6 by 6 inch snuggly blanket in there for him and his wubbanub pacifier to chew on so he has something in there to comfort him and play with. 

That being said, our little guy has slept through the night even prior to sleep training (but was always rocked or nursed to sleep). So for us, it was more about getting away from the rocking to sleep and doing drowsy but awake. I wouldn't expect your LO to suddenly sleep through the night if they've never self-soothed before, so just take it slow and even a little bit of progress is progress!

Hope you can find something that works for you!
  • ems028ems028 member
    edited July 2016
    If it's not working then don't do it. I could never leave my baby to cry for 90 minutes. Just wait a while if you're dead set on doing it. But they're still.so small...
  • If you are just transitioning to his own room have you tried just doing naps there for the time being? That's how I started from co sleeping. I am also feed him dinner right before bed rather then just a bottle. I find he tends to get sleepy after breakfast lunch and dinner. He gets his bottles after naps. 
    I have a very good sleeper and when he went from the pack n play in my room to his crib he did good but I think it's the full tummy. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited July 2016
    ems028 said:
    If it's not working then don't do it. I could never leave my baby to cry for 90 minutes. Just wait a while if you're dead set on doing it. But they're still.so small...
    He was checked on NONSTOP, it's a  modified Ferber....I'm not the devil. We do 5, 10, 20, minute sections. Without picked him up and without talking I lay him down, rub his back, pat his bum, shush him, he's just fine while I'm in the room. I will stay for several minutes soothing him. The second I leave(even when he seems asleep) he pops right back up to standing on the edge of his crib screaming. 
  • I feel compelled to write again that this is a MODIFIED Ferber. After a few comments of letting my baby cry alone for 90 minutes...that's just regular Ferber, I'm NOT doing that. Just wanted to clarify!!!!!!!!!!!
  • It is actually Weissbluth's Extinction method that does not involve checks and is pure CIO.  Ferber method is a modified version of Weissbluth's method and always includes checks at intervals.  So if someone says they are doing Ferber method, whether they say it is "modified" or not, it involves checking on the baby at timed intervals.  Not that it's that important, but just though I should clarify since there is some discussion around it here.  The real important question is why it worked for 2 days but then stopped working.  As PP pointed out, it could be a schedule problem?  Maybe if you gave us some more details around exactly what your LOs daily wakeup/nap/eating schedule is and what you are doing during the timed interval checks may help us to pinpoint the issue easier!

• LoveLee85 said:
    I feel compelled to write again that this is a MODIFIED Ferber. After a few comments of letting my baby cry alone for 90 minutes...that's just regular Ferber, I'm NOT doing that. Just wanted to clarify!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's not even regular Ferber, that's the Weissbluth method.  Ferber has checks. 

• I'm so sorry you're going through this. My son had never been sick but started getting very clingy for a few days and I couldn't figure it out. Then he got low grade fevers which I assumed was teething and then he got very sick with adenovirus.

High fevers, puking, diarrhea, cold showers, ibuprofen, tylenol..... it was a nightmare first 8 straight days.

So his sleep schedule is now ruined and he's afraid to be anywhere but in bed with me. I'm still not sure what I'll do but maybe I'll try the crib again once he's had some more time.

What I'm trying to say is do what's best for your baby, you know what's best momma. But also wanting sleep isn't bad. Once I nurse DS to sleep in our bed sometimes I have my hubby come lay in bed with him so I can have some me time. Just gotta do what works. 
  • In my personal experience with Ferber, after the first couple nights of improved sleeping, if my LO was crying for more than 20 minutes, he really did need something. Like PP said, there might be other reasons the sleep training isn't working at this time. I would take a break from it and regroup to make sure he's not teething, sick, having a growth spurt and hungry, etc. Good luck mama, hang in there.
  • cmommy13 said:
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. My son had never been sick but started getting very clingy for a few days and I couldn't figure it out. Then he got low grade fevers which I assumed was teething and then he got very sick with adenovirus.

High fevers, puking, diarrhea, cold showers, ibuprofen, tylenol..... it was a nightmare first 8 straight days.

So his sleep schedule is now ruined and he's afraid to be anywhere but in bed with me. I'm still not sure what I'll do but maybe I'll try the crib again once he's had some more time.

What I'm trying to say is do what's best for your baby, you know what's best momma. But also wanting sleep isn't bad. Once I nurse DS to sleep in our bed sometimes I have my hubby come lay in bed with him so I can have some me time. Just gotta do what works. 
    I hope your little one is feeling better!!!!! That sounds so horrible!!! 

• ElleMF728 said:
    LoveLee85 said:
    I feel compelled to write again that this is a MODIFIED Ferber. After a few comments of letting my baby cry alone for 90 minutes...that's just regular Ferber, I'm NOT doing that. Just wanted to clarify!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's not even regular Ferber, that's the Weissbluth method.  Ferber has checks. 

I just googled modified Ferber and that check up. I'm not a sleep expert and never read any books on it. FTM here. 
  • It is actually Weissbluth's Extinction method that does not involve checks and is pure CIO.  Ferber method is a modified version of Weissbluth's method and always includes checks at intervals.  So if someone says they are doing Ferber method, whether they say it is "modified" or not, it involves checking on the baby at timed intervals.  Not that it's that important, but just though I should clarify since there is some discussion around it here.  The real important question is why it worked for 2 days but then stopped working.  As PP pointed out, it could be a schedule problem?  Maybe if you gave us some more details around exactly what your LOs daily wakeup/nap/eating schedule is and what you are doing during the timed interval checks may help us to pinpoint the issue easier!

I'm no sleep training expert. I simply googled modified Ferber and read a few links. That's probably why I suck. I wish I knew why it worked for two days then stopped, also. Zero idea. I did all the same methods and techniques. Exact same things as night one and two then bam all got shot to hell on night 3,4,5,6,7,8,9...

He doesn't eat much food. He will eat 1 or 2 baby food pouches a day(if I can get him to eat them without gagging and puking).
    He has 8oz bottles every 3 hours. 
    Naps are no drama and easy. Naps for one or two hours normally. 
    Now after sleep training if he even goes near his crib he freaks out. It's awful. I use to put him in there for a few minutes with toys so I could use the restroom...I can't anymore. He totally wigs out. He has co-slept with us from day one. I'm sure that's the issue. Co sleeping use to work but now he squirms and I can't sleep. That's the whole reason why I'm starting this...but it isn't working. 

• Try the pack n play in your room at night. Then move him after he adjusts to that. Just an idea. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Hmmm eating schedule sounds just like my baby.  He's a gagger too!  Strange that naps are no problem but bedtime is.  Does he nap in his crib too?  Does he sleep with a pacifier or any other kind of sleep crutch?

Maybe take a break from the sleep training for 2-3 weeks then try again and see how it goes.  Maybe he's teething or going through some sort of leap that is making it difficult right now.  I know my LO has been going through major seperation anxiety this last month and I imagine that would make it hard if I were trying to sleep train him right now.

I also recommend buying Ferber's book if you decide to try again (I think it only costs about $12 and is an easy read).   I found it to be very helpful and gave me the confidence to know I was approaching the training correctly.  It also gives example sleep/nap schedules that I found to be helpful.  Hope you get some good rest soon!  
  • Just give babe a break. Sounds like he had a lot of anxiety right now. I think that's normal with SA. 

I mi would go back to doing what we did before. Give it a few weeks, time to regroup/Plan for you and the. Try again.
  • I have a 10 month old in 2 days that had never been a good sleeper but has been terrible the past 3 weeks. When she was 4 months old I figured out why we weren't sleeping is she was ready for her crib and out of our room. That got me more sleep because I didn't wake at every small grunt. Then my problem turned into I was rocking her to sleep. Her grandmother pets her face while she's asleep. So I got her grandma to stop and started putting her in her crib almost asleep. And we eventually cut out the night bottle. That was some awesome sleep for a month. Now? I'm so tired I don't even know where to begin..

I work. So her schedule during the day is not consistent. We've told ourselves this week we have to get everyone on board ... so hard! But her evening schedule is the same. We eat. Bath. Play. Bottle. Bed. She'll go to sleep for an hour. Wake up. Go back. Wake up and then fusses (not crying if she's with us) until morning. I've tried leaving her blinds open for light. Turning a night light on. Darkness. Music. Softer blanket. Changed out mattresses with Grandma. We tried letting her cry for 5-10-15 going in each interval. No change. We've tried co sleeping, doesn't work any better. Never any issues with acid reflux or anything. Already has 2 bottom teeth and doesn't look anything close to top coming in.

I guess my question is does anyone else have a 9-10 month old refusing to sleep right now? And any suggestions beside coffee? Lol
  • @breannahayes12 You have a lot of changes going on.  Move bottle to the beginning of your routine not the end.  How long is LO up before bedtime, what you are describing is typical of being overtired? When is bedtime? What do you do at that hour wake? That wake up is close enough to bedtime that it is likely "resetting" LO's environment when she goes to sleep.  Daytime sleep is definitely going to affect nighttime sleep so write out a schedule for all caregivers to follow.  It doesn't have to be perfect obviously, but if someone is drastically off on nap times or number of naps it is going to have an impact.  

I really encourage anyone who is going to sleep train to make a real commitment.  Baby is going to be pretty confused if sometimes Mommy and Daddy come get her and bring her in to bed but sometimes leave her alone in the crib. Consistency is really important until you get a routine down.  
  • leeeahyoleeeahyo member
    edited July 2016
    I have a 10 month old in 2 days that had never been a good sleeper but has been terrible the past 3 weeks. When she was 4 months old I figured out why we weren't sleeping is she was ready for her crib and out of our room. That got me more sleep because I didn't wake at every small grunt. Then my problem turned into I was rocking her to sleep. Her grandmother pets her face while she's asleep. So I got her grandma to stop and started putting her in her crib almost asleep. And we eventually cut out the night bottle. That was some awesome sleep for a month. Now? I'm so tired I don't even know where to begin..

I work. So her schedule during the day is not consistent. We've told ourselves this week we have to get everyone on board ... so hard! But her evening schedule is the same. We eat. Bath. Play. Bottle. Bed. She'll go to sleep for an hour. Wake up. Go back. Wake up and then fusses (not crying if she's with us) until morning. I've tried leaving her blinds open for light. Turning a night light on. Darkness. Music. Softer blanket. Changed out mattresses with Grandma. We tried letting her cry for 5-10-15 going in each interval. No change. We've tried co sleeping, doesn't work any better. Never any issues with acid reflux or anything. Already has 2 bottom teeth and doesn't look anything close to top coming in.

I guess my question is does anyone else have a 9-10 month old refusing to sleep right now? And any suggestions beside coffee? Lol
    Yessss omg he was STTN fine until about a week ago (he also turned 9m a week ago). I'm so tired that when DH or anyone else says they're tired I want to punch them. We've had no changes to our daily routine. He goes down fine and like clockwork wakes up 2 hours later. I get him back to sleep and he wakes up about 4 hours after that and will. not. settle. down. From there we go to sleep together in the recliner because he won't cosleep in the bed (weird right?!)!! Then he's up for the day around 4am. Phew, I have no idea what's going on but I'm hoping and praying it's a just phase. Hope it's a phase for your LO as well! Lots and lots and lots of coffee necessary! 
  • My DS is 10 months old and has been sleeping like crap since he's been sick. All better now but wants to be latched all the time and is waking me up a ton and won't go in the crib it's miserable I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to sleep train because when go to the beach in two weeks. Considering modified ferber after we get home. Thoughts? I just need more sleep or I'm going to implode.

• I'd say two weeks us enough time to do some sleep training and get him in a good routine. They adapt pretty quickly, and maybe it will make sleeping on your vacation easier. We're going away in a week and I'm working on it right now in hopes that my LO will improve a bit through our trip. I was away with him two months ago and his sleep was HORRIBLE. I don't know why I've resisted doing hard core training so long, but I wanted to try other methods before doing Ferber. I think the inconsistency has just made everything worse. Now that I've gotten the okay from my ped to night wean we're done messing around! 
  • Thanks for the advice I am definitely going to try to start a consistent routine.
  • Update here: two top teeth popped out at the same time. I'm still giving it a break though. I just don't think he's ready. I have gone 10 months without sleep...what's another few months? :(
  • For the first time I'm considering Ferber. I was anti-any shade of CIO until yesterday. My daughter had slept a stretch of maybe 6,7,8 hours only a handful of times ever in her ten months. She had had two, yes TWO weeks in those ten months where she has slept consistently well each night and had only woken once, maybe twice but went right back down. The second of those weeks was last week and I THOUGHTS it was a sign for good things ahead. Then she had one night of staying an hour or so up past her awake time before bed and it all was wrecked. Now she's jngu, waking 2-3 each night, only settling for me again with milk...it leaves me hopeless that she'll improve on her own. At this rate, I feel like the only way she'll sleep through is once she's way older...like 2+ years when I can explain things to her. No. 

Our attachment is sound. A little Ferber can't break her trust THAT much, right?
  • ElleMF728ElleMF728 member
    edited July 2016
    @kmcshane0211 Please don't worry about this.  If you are really concerned please read this overview of some of the claims from that article (its basically the same article that is always cited or passed around). 
    https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/is-sleep-training-child-abuse/
    https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/dont-have-a-cio-panic-attack/
    https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/pediatrics-cry-it-out-study/

PS.  DS2 was a Mama's boy before and he still is :) 

ETA: Fixed links

• So I tried the modified ferber last night and my DS got so upset in 5 minutes he spit up :( I feel helpless and I want to teach him how to sleep on his own but he so quickly becomes hysterical.

Crib is by the bed, I left a dim nightlight on so he can see and won't get scared, white noise is on, child safety stuffed animal he loves is in the crib with him....I waited 3 minutes and checked on him. I did pick him up and nurse because he was hysterical. Then tried 5 more minutes in the crib and he spit up. He only calms down when I bring him into bed with me. This is even with motrin for teething pain....I'll never sleep alone again
  • ElleMF728 said:
    @kmcshane0211 Please don't worry about this.  If you are really concerned please read this overview of some of the claims from that article (its basically the same article that is always cited or passed around). 
    https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/is-sleep-training-child-abuse/
    https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/dont-have-a-cio-panic-attack/
    https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/pediatrics-cry-it-out-study/

PS.  DS2 was a Mama's boy before and he still is :) 

ETA: Fixed links

Just curious, how many days did it take for your DS2 to not cry and just settle on his own??

I'm desperate to try Ferber again but just can't bring myself...it was so horrible and only got worse in the few days I tried it. I'm willing to try again in a month or so, after reading up and getting a set in stone plan. 
  • ElleMF728ElleMF728 member
    edited July 2016
    @LoveLee85 It took 3 days.  We moved him to two naps and increased his wake time before bed to around 4 hours to ensure he had a high sleep debt at bedtime but wouldn't be overtired. The first day he cried for 12-15 minutes, the second day was 7 minutes and the third was about 2.  There was also about 15 minutes of crying after his MOTN feed the first night. We had an easy case.  If your baby gets really upset or cries for longer that doesn't mean something is wrong necessarily.  Some babies are more stubborn than others and DS was already in his crib when we started.  

I think your idea to take a breath and to set up a concrete plan first is a great idea.  I can't listen to my LO get too upset so DH listens for me.  He shuts off my monitor in the bedroom and brings the other one downstairs to listen.  He texts me when its time to go in.  Maybe you need to take a shower or set a timer on your phone while you step outside for a glass of wine.  The first few intervals are 3,5 and 7 minutes.  It isn't going to hurt LO to cry for such a short amount of time.  I told myself that DS2 cried longer MOTN while I made his bottle some times.  Find people who will offer support like family members, friends, the other moms here or another mom group and don't hesitate to call or ask for reassurance while you're in the middle and feeling down!  

No one likes change including our babies! 

ETA: A game plan would probably be helpful.  Crying getting progressively worse definitely isn't typical which makes me think something is off either with LO or their is an issue with your schedule or method. A little time may help you pinpoint what the problem was.  
  • Omg. I was anti- anti- anti- CIO in any form. But after NEVER having for myself a stretching longer than 5 hours in 10 months and being on the verge of losing my mind!, I just (nearly without any plan or hardly thinking...just pulling off the insight shared on this thread yesterday) just decided to give it a try tonight.

The reasons I was so against any form of CIO was Bc a) my daughter always fights sleep so hard at bedtime. We do cry in arms (not overly pacifying LO when she cries in our arms and letting her release energy). She actually cried LESS in her crib by herself tonight. B) I was so nervous it would ruin her trust. No way to measure that I guess, but I have a million other opportunities to continue building our trust. C) I thought it would be so painful for her and us to go through.

I have had massive anxiety about her crying alone in her crib. However, it's WAY easier than I ever imagined. I'm crazy in tune with my daughter and feel like I can interpret her cries. She's not in pain crying in her crib. She's not anxious. There's no crazy amount of cortisol in her brain right now. She's just tired. She (weakly) cried/fussed for 3 minutes, then 5 minutes then maybe another 3-4. Then stopped and started rolling around. She's now sound asleep. Holy crap!

if you're on the fence and worried about trying CIO, maybe give it a try. Maybe your babe will be ready for it and it will work!
  • Cancel that. Night two and I gave up. Someone talk me down. Lol...
  • We actually let her cry a little last weekend. And we did nap between 10-11 get her up by 12 and anywhere between 3-4 and up by 5.  I couldn't do anymore, and somehow she has slept for 8-10 hours friday, saturday, sunday, tuesday-last night. I hope this lasts! lol  Hope you're finding sleep!

I totally get the wanting to punch someone when they say how tired they are. OR how much sleep they got.
  • erbareerbare member
    Our pediatrician told us not to worry too much if the crying during training gets worse before it gets better, especially since my son already has such a strong willed personality. We're sleep training right now, and while it's not easy, it's getting better. I have a written plan taped to the wall outside the baby's room, and I'm keeping detailed notes on what I'm doing before sleep, feedings, and how he's acting during pre-sleep and when I check on him so I can get an idea for patterns that work and don't work.

Hang in there mamas <3