September 2016 Moms

Hiring a doula?

I am going to a doula meet and greet next week and hope to find someone who is a good match for husband and I. 

With DD we did not have any help and DH was amazing. This time around we are getting a doula in case baby comes early (DH is working out of town until 37 weeks).  

Is anyone else considering hiring a doula? Why or why not? If you've already hired one, how did you make your choice and what types of questions did you ask?  If you've ever had a bad doula experience what was the cause?

Re: Hiring a doula?

• I would LOVE to hire a doula! My Hypnobirthing teacher is a doula and I strongly considered hiring her. My town has a doula meet and greet night as well and I think that would be a great place to start! I will not be hiring one simply because my birth will be $5,000. The doula would cost an extra $850...so birthing photographer and doula are just not in the cards. I think a doula would add so much to your birthing experience whether you're planning on going med-free or not!

Good luck!!
  • The hospital where I will be delivering provides a Doula for a $200 fee. How awesome is that? I was so psyched to find that out.
  • Loading the player...
  • I hired one! For three reasons: Husband freaks at anything invasive or stories I tell from work, husband may beploy before birth, and statistically better odds of epidural free and intervention free births with a doula.  

I have to pay out of pocket for her but it is pretty cheap here, under $700.  She'll provide 3 prenatal visits and 3 post partum visits (where she'll help with light household duties or walk the dog) and has some other perks like a lending library, placenta encapsulation, etc.  She by far provided more than the other three I contacted and was comparable in price or even less expensive.  She really believes in doula services and tries to make it available to all who want it.

I went with her for a few different reasons.  1) we just clicked. 2) She had outstanding experience 3) She is in the military community 4) She actually followed up with me 5) Even though she's not certified she had a valid explanation as to why 6) She wasn't pushy about how granola-y I should be.  One woman was and I wanted to get into a scientific argument with her.  

I would ask how they reserve their time for deliveries.  She did one week prior, two weeks post.  How many clients they have per month.  Get a copy of their agreement even if you aren't hiring them.  It will have details on how much their retainer is and when final payment is due.  What her backup is if she's unable to attend.  What would prevent her from attending delivery.  How long after she stays.  Does she provide birthing balls/aromatics/music/whatever you want.  If it's important to you: if she's worked with your provider or hospital, if she's certified, will she come to your house while you labor at home (one doula even said, hell if you just need me to go get your husband dinner so he doesn't have to leave you alone I will do it), how many births she's doula'd alone.

Write the ?s down and ask them to anyone you favor!
  • mom2adoodlemom2adoodle member
    edited July 2016
    Wow- your doula price is incredible!!!!! They're $1500-$2000 where I live..Womp.

edited to tag @RN1stBae
  • @RN1stBae thanks for all the great insight!  The going price in our area is $400 which I am now feeling very appreciative for! If it was more than $1000 it would be out of my budget. 

One of the doulas I'm interested in had this posted to her website. I thought it was helpful: https://wisebirthchoices.com/2/post/2015/03/5-better-questions-to-ask-a-potential-doula-scrap-the-list.html