January 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+ Week of 6/27

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 6/27

• ElleMF728 said:
    HJ.Morgan said:
    I want to start stocking up on diapers... But I'm afraid I'm going to buy too many of one size and baby grows out of them before use. How many newborn diapers did you go through before your baby started growing?

Just something to think about.  Diapers can be kind of obnoxious in that different brands work for different babies.  DS1 had really sensitive skin and broke out in absolutely anything except Pampers.  We had unused boxes of Huggies that we just ended up giving away and saving for DS2 because we couldn't use them.  My sister's youngest leaked in everything except for Luvs but her oldest twins were Huggies babies. 

Some babies have chunky thighs, some are long and skinny, DS2 had a chubby tummy so he outgrew Huggies much quicker.  My (very long) point is that I wouldn't stock up too much before baby comes because you never know what you will like best.  

I've heard that instead some women like to buy one of those rechargeable gift cards and add the amount that a box of diapers would be every 2 or 3 weeks.   That way you are sort of stocking up just without the possible hassle of returns. 
    All true.  Maybe a good way to stock up would be to buy a box of a few brands in the newborn size so you can test them out? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JLJ2012JLJ2012 member
    edited June 2016
    @ElleMF728, I completely agree!  All diapers fit kids differently depending on skinny of fat thighs.  You may not like certain brands and sometimes babies have reactions to certain diapers as well.  I don't understand stocking up on diapers as opposed to buying them when you need them.  They take up a lot of space.  It is one thing if you get some as gifts before baby is born, but why would you buy a whole bunch yourself before the baby is born?  You are spending the same amount of money either way.  I love Amazon prime and getting monthly deliveries of diapers and wipes.  Their prices are great too.  ETA: I like the gift card idea if you are trying to set aside money specifically for diapers in the future.
    DS1: 9/29/12
    DS2: 11/5/14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I liked stocking up on diapers pre baby because I didn't know how willing I would be to make diaper runs anytime I started to get low on them! We had NB in lots of different brands but ended up being exclusive Pampers users after major leaking in Huggies and rashes from everything else. As long as your packages aren't opened you can exchange them without a receipt so it's no big deal if you end up with the wrong size or brand. 
  • So the bra question... are there any ladies with bigger boobs that have had to buy new bras? I'm a 36D/DD and I'm starting to fill out the cups a little too much. They seem to be the only thing growing on me. I can't decide whether to invest in some bigger but cheaper bras or just splurge and get nursing ones so I can use them later on as well?? 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • So the bra question... are there any ladies with bigger boobs that have had to buy new bras? I'm a 36D/DD and I'm starting to fill out the cups a little too much. They seem to be the only thing growing on me. I can't decide whether to invest in some bigger but cheaper bras or just splurge and get nursing ones so I can use them later on as well?? 
    I totally recommend going to Soma. I got two bras just to get me through until they grow again. They have nursing bras too but I wouldn't bother with those now, your boobs will get bigger after delivery.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • AriB08AriB08 member
    Is it true that you have to have a Csection if you don't give birth within 24 hours of your water breaking? I've had at least 4 friends who were told this in the hospital while laboring.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • AriB08 said:
    Is it true that you have to have a Csection if you don't give birth within 24 hours of your water breaking? I've had at least 4 friends who were told this in the hospital while laboring.
    In my experience this is true (I don't know if it's true everywhere).  I don't think it's an exact 24 hours but more or less about that.  The reasoning has to do with the increasing chances of infection.  They will do everything they can to help move things along before you would need a c-section though.  My water broke with no contractions so I was given pitocin to get things moving along and DS was born 16 hours later.  I would talk to your OB/midwife about their specific policies and procedures in that situation.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • AriB08 said:
    I think this is pretty true. Maybe not 24 hours on the dot, but somewhere around there I think they have to start considering it if things aren't progressing. With my first, my water broke at home before I was even having contractions. I delivered about 22 hours later and actually did end up spiking a fever right after delivery and had to have IV antibiotics. They said it was common when your water is broken for a long time before delivering. It was not a huge deal, but probably is something they try to avoid as there could be more complications I would imagine. 

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • AriB08 said:
    In my case, no. My induction started Friday night, my water was broken Saturday night, and my son was born vaginally Monday morning. A c-section was never mentioned to me. But, I would ask your doctor. It all depends on the circumstances. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Depends on how intervention happy your doctor is (some will let you go past the 24 hrs if you're not showing any signs of infection) but that is the policy in most hospitals from what I understand. 

On a somewhat related note, this is why it's a good idea to delay having your waters broken, especially early in labor, and why you should avoid cervical checks after they've broken. 
    DD1 (2008) DD2 (2010), #3 (DH's first bio kid) on the way in January 2017!
    Almost always mobile bumping--forgive my typos. :)
  • Any STMs have advice on potty training #1 before #2 is born? DD1 will be 2 in August and we're starting to talk about it, she likes to sit on her potty and sometimes lets us know if she's pooped, etc, but some other moms have poo-poo'd the idea saying she might regress after baby is born. I know every child and situation is different, but would anyone like to share their experience?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We thought about it for my son (who was similar in age to your DD at the time although I have heard boys are more difficult) but decided against it. And honestly after DS2 was born I was SO thankful that DS1 was STILL in diapers. Since he has been potty trained our life kind of revolves around the potty and when he has to go... Even 8 months later. He still needs help sometimes and I was so thankful that I didn't have to work around his potty schedule in addition to a newborn feeding schedule, and dealing with a very colicky baby. 

That's just my experience though. I know others who have potty trained before and been thankful to only have one in diapers. 
    @KAShock
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • My son is 2.  I was able to naked potty train him for 2 weeks... That's when he walks around the house with a bare butt but other clothes (I usually had a warm top and leggings so he didn't get cold).  Whenever I put him in underwear, he thought they were diapers so didn't try.  At about the 2-week mark, he decided it was easier to just do what he had to do, wherever he was, and then tell me about it so I could clean him and it up.  :-/  we had to shampoo the carpet and I put him back in diapers.  I've had several people tell me boys typically don't potty train until 3... I'll just wait until he wants to do it, I guess.  So, all that to say, try not to push it too hard, I guess.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Since we are spending this week at the beach, we are potty training DD. It's going surprisingly well but I'm curious to see what happens when we get back home and into our old routine. Hopefully she continues to do well at daycare. I just really did not want to be buying diapers for two kids. Although, like @scgirl6113 said, now our life seems to revolve around her potty schedule and when she might need to go. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• We used the 3-day naked and staying home method. However, Owen was 3 1/2 by the time he potty trained. He had shown interest at 18 mo and I got potties and m&ms for anytime he sat but whenever he showed resistance we pulled back. I love that he's potty trained but I do have to keep on top of his potty schedule, how much he's had to drink, where the bathrooms are when we're out because if he's having fun he almost never stops to go potty. It'll be one more thing to think about with baby here but luckily he's old enough that once I remember he needs to go he can head to the bathroom on his own and handle everything. I see no harm in training now if your daughter is ready just know that regression can happen, but it can happen to any kid after a transition like that no matter the age or length of potty training.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a question: when did you start to feel the baby move? I had someone ask me this morning if I've been feeling movement, and I thought it was weird since I'm only 13 weeks in (she's a mom of 4, so it's not like she hasn't had pregnancy experience before). I know most resources say you start feeling it around 15-18 weeks, if not later, but I wanted to have some real life input. I'm excited to start feeling some wiggles soon :D

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• edited July 2016
    PMForbie said:
    I have a question: when did you start to feel the baby move? I had someone ask me this morning if I've been feeling movement, and I thought it was weird since I'm only 13 weeks in (she's a mom of 4, so it's not like she hasn't had pregnancy experience before). I know most resources say you start feeling it around 15-18 weeks, if not later, but I wanted to have some real life input. I'm excited to start feeling some wiggles soon :D
    Last time I remember I was exactly 16 weeks, because I felt her on my birthday, which is December 16 and I turned 16 weeks on December 16. I've heard that STM+can feel a bit earlier but I think 13 weeks is probably on the early side even for that.  
  • I felt baby move at 18 weeks, the day after our anatomy scan. It felt like a little fish. This time I swear I'm feeling movement but I'm only 12
    weeks. I think it's still too early. 
  • Re: potty training- my daughter is 20 months and I'm planning to start potty train her in the next month or so. She's showing all the signs and likes her potty. I'm nervous but I'd like her to be out of diapers by the time baby comes. 
  • KimC85KimC85 member
    Movement should be a few weeks from now. I think I was about 16 weeks? It's super subtle at first. Like a little bubble popping. 
  • sagoonsagoon member
    Last time I felt movement at 17 weeks, and subsequently realized that what I had thought was gas for the week or so beforehand was actually baby movements.  Everyone says you feel it sooner the 2nd + time around, so we'll see.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Movement: I felt both of mine at 16 weeks.  I'm 14 weeks now and I haven't felt anything despite the barrel rolls at my last US. 

Potty Training: My pediatrician actually advised us to wait on the potty until after baby (DS1 turned 2 a week before I had DS2) due to regressions.  She said she had seen a lot of kids regress after baby came.  Honestly, he wasn't showing very many readiness signs either so I'm glad we waited.  He still isn't potty trained at almost 3 and is just now starting to wake up a little more dry. I'm happy not to have to rush through Target to reach the bathroom right now but I do think he will be out of diapers before this baby comes.  I'm also read some interesting theories regarding too early PTing and chronic constipation in children (I'm not really sure what constitutes too early).  Although its not a huge concern I see where it could become a problem.  

Note: Apparently, waking up from naps and bed dry(ish) is a sign of readiness because it shows that their muscles are actually strong enough to hold their pee and demonstrates bladder control.  Its a physical sign of readiness not a mental one. 
  • Movement: I swear I felt some movement at 15 weeks last time, but my OB side eyed that. For sure I could feel her by 17 weeks. I'm curious to see how much sooner I feel this baby. I tried to look up how much sooner STM+ feel their babies but all the internet and books told me was "sooner"

• Baby B is solidly on my right side- my belly is visibly lopsided! (And I always find it with the Doppler in the same spot) 

Anyone else have a lopsided belly? I'm assuming it'll even out as they get too big to hang out wherever they please? 
  • @TinaBelcher yes! My DD super favored my right hand side so much so that it would make me uncomfortable so I would shove her to the other side and she'd wiggle right back. People who spent a lot of time with me could tell that I was lopsided all the way until she dropped lower into my pelvis but most people had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned it. I have the funniest pictures though from it being so sideways when I was laying down. 
  • sagoonsagoon member
    @TinaBelcher yes, this one definitely favors my right side.  With my son, there was no favored side until he got pretty big, then he was always sticking his ass out right below my ribs on the right side. 

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With baby #1 I felt pops and rolling at 12 weeks. I felt kicks on the outside at 18 weeks. 

With this one, I started feeling the rolling at 11.5 weeks. 
  • @TinaBelcher. My daughter used to do this nastiness. The line on the right is my linea negra (the midline)
  • Sorry if this has been asked before: have any moms here used those pack n' play-crib combos? If so, how long were you able to use it? we don't have a ton of space and those might be a great option for us. Thanks in advance!
  •  MaryNog said:
    Sorry if this has been asked before: have any moms here used those pack n' play-crib combos? If so, how long were you able to use it? we don't have a ton of space and those might be a great option for us. Thanks in advance!
    We used a combination of the pack-n-play and the rock-n-play in our bedroom for about 6 months before we started transitioning to the crib in his own room. 
  • We also used a rock n play. (Literal lifesaver) until my daughter was 4 months old and was rolling both ways. We didn't have a pack n play at the time, so we put her right in her crib, but I slept in her room with her until 6 months. 
  • Omg @ThePax89 that looks so painful!  :s
  • I felt movement at 15 weeks last time. Once you've had a child you usually feel it sooner. That may be why she's asking you so early
  •  MaryNog said:
    Sorry if this has been asked before: have any moms here used those pack n' play-crib combos? If so, how long were you able to use it? we don't have a ton of space and those might be a great option for us. Thanks in advance!
    Yes we used a pack n play with the newborn bassinet/changer. It worked well for us but she got too long for it around 3 months. But that's when we wanted to transition her to her crib anyway. We use that pack n play all the time when we travel. It was a good investment. However, this time around I want something different. It was so painful to sit up, lift her out of it and nurse her. I'm looking into the halo swivel. Just hate how expensive it is 
  • Hi moms who've done this before, pls help! (I'm on my way home and will call the after hours number as soon as I find it, though I'm sure there's nothing to be done) 

Yesterday we had sex for the first time in like, ever. Today I'm just standing in line at a store and thought I peed myself! Went to the bathroom and it wasn't even enough fluid that my underwear didn't catch it (mostly clear, a little pink) BUT I'm pretty sure some mucus plug came out with it- clear/yellow with tiny streaks of blood. I know the mucus plug will regenerate but what's with the other fluid??? I was spotting again last week too. Like I really just want everything to STAY IN my ute and this constant leaking is giving me a gd complex!!  :s

Any thoughts? Am I totally broken? Reassure me even if it doesn't sound promising pls, I have an MFM appointment Tuesday (and heard at least one of them on the Doppler this morning) 
  • Wait, IS this an emergency worth calling the after hours number? The card says ONLY for medical emergencies and labor questions... Ugh. 
  • It's common to get a little spotting after intercourse.  its not unheard of to lose some mucus plug as well.  I don't think you have to worry.  :)  Some cervixs don't like being jostled very much, I think that's why some women can be aerobics instructors all the way through pregnancy and some get spotting after a routine workout.  I'd put yourself on pelvic rest until your appointment and try not to stress about it too much -- a hard thing to do, I know.
    BabyName Ticker
  • When you go in, they'll ask for specifics about consistency and color, especially seeking to know if it has changed over time.  Mine went from a toilet paper full of hot pink to brown after a day and continued to be brown for a week, also not ever really enough to get on my underwear.  This was from working out too hard I'm told.  They only wanted me to contact them if it got worse or if I got painful cramps, not twinges.  They did a cervical check and vaginal ultrasound to put me at ease.  The cervical check can cause irritation by itself so it was both reassuring and worrisome after, haha.
    BabyName Ticker