September 2016 Moms

4th of July Plans?

People in my office keep saying "Today is my Friday!" ... it is not mine. I'm saving up time off for leave, etc.  BUT, it's got me wondering what everyone is up to for the 4th this year?  Or if anyone is celebrating Canada Day tomorrow?

We are doing our BabyQ on Sunday, and on Monday heading up to my parents' who live on a lake in a touristy Summer town that does a lot for the 4th - boat parade, street parade, FROG JUMPING CONTEST (can't believe this still exists), strawberry shortcakes, etc.  My sister, her husband and 4 year old twins are going this year too (they alternate between families), so it should be a fun day full of sunshine and swimming!!
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 4th of July Plans?

• Sounds like a fun weekend for you! I can't wait to hear how the Baby-Q goes.

We are also busy. My in-laws are having a party on Sunday. I'm a little nervous because my parents are going and I'm terrified my FIL is going to talk politics the whole time. I know my mom won't be able to keep her mouth shut and not call him out on his tin foil hat variety BS. Hoping all goes smooth there.

On the 4th, my parents are having a party and we are doing our own fireworks for about the 15th year in a row. We went balls to the walls with fireworks this year. I'm pumped for it, the fourth is my favorite holiday!

also, food.
  • After having company in town the last two weekends I am exhausted! It kind of snuck up on us so I'm just excited to rest and get a 3 day weekend...I'm sure we'll see some family though. Not to mention that this will be the first big holiday since we moved into our new house....and our next door neighbor goes by Firecracker Bill, so I have a feeling we're in for some entertainment.  :#
  • Loading the player...
  • Fiancé is meeting my extended family for the first time. Wish him luck because he is really quiet and my family is kinda awful lolololol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We plan to start our baby bathroom redo! I am excited but not looking forward to the work. At least it's a 3 day weekend!
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• My Mom's 65th birthday is tomorrow, so we're throwing her a giant bash in my yard on Saturday since we have a pool and a lot of space.  Sunday I'll recover from that.  And then on Monday, Piper's marching with her karate school in our town's 4th of July parade.

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• Saturday I am meeting two friends and their kids for a play date at this awesome park downtown on the riverfront.  Then that afternoon we have our 4D/HD ultrasound.  Sunday or Monday (still undecided) we will get together with my Dad and Stepmom for a small cookout and the kids love playing at their house.  In between all of that we are painting our kitchen.  That is the last thing that needs to be done before our new countertops are installed.  Then my kitchen redo will be finished and I can relax until baby arrives!
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • H always has a home game on the Fourth of July and then the stadium has a very elaborate and awesome firework show after. Only issue, DD1 HATES fireworks. I mean she screams bloody murder the whole time. Long story, but eventually had to stop taking her to the games because every time they score the stadium lets off these obnoxiously loud fireworks. Very cool for the atmosphere, very shitty for a toddler scared of anything loud. So I decided to try this year and get a table inside and see if she will sit through the whole game and fireworks show since they won't be as loud inside. I've tried this with game but she still has breakdowns and I always end up leaving. 

So I guess I'm saying I don't have very exciting plans other than trying to convince my kid fireworks are pretty and cool and we get to watch daddy play soccer! 

I guess for for the weekend leading up I'll try to have a few friends over to grill and swim but to be honest I totally forgot this weekend was the holiday weekend. I'm out of it these days. I thought I had more days in June left 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • I thought we were going to spend the weekend working on the nursery and going swimming, but apparently we're going to a party at my MIL's house that I didn't know about until my husband mentioned it two days ago.

Can't say I'm thrilled (but we couldn't really do much with the nursery anyway due to issues we're having with the people painting our house), but it feels like a first world problem to complain.  

I'm just not in the mood to celebrate a holiday I don't like by going to a party (I'm not a party person) and having to put on a happy face and socialize (I have social anxiety).  And sit up (I have a baby firmly wedged in my ribs that makes anything other than reclining very uncomfortable) for several hours.

I feel like such a downer.  I think I'm the only person in the US who doesn't love the 4th of July. :neutral:
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Our infertility journey (TW)
    ● IUI #1: BFN 
    ● IUI #2: BFP - early M/C :'(  
    ● IUI #3: BFN 
    ● IUI #4: BFN 
    ● IVF/FET #1 (2 transferred): BFP! TWINS!
    ● FET #2 (1 transferred): BFP!  BOY #3!
    ● Natural #1: BFP - M/C @ 8 weeks :'(
    ● Natural #2:  BFP - M/C @ 5w5d :'(

• We're not doing much - I have a few errands to run and we need to clean out the closet in the baby's room and guest room. I'm just excited to have a 3 day weekend. 
  • Well I'm in charge of our stroller running group's 4th of July 5k in the morning. I definitely won't be running the whole thing, but I'm in charge of course markers and getting everyone started on time. Should be a fun time and nice way to get in some exercise before BBQ food all day! After that we will probably come home and regroup for nap time, then head to a neighbors house to let the kids play in sprinklers, BBQ, and eventually watching fireworks. Should be a pretty low key day, I'm excited!

Pregnancy Ticker

• One of our local attractions does an outdoor symphony throughout the summer. They do a special 4th of July show followed by fireworks. It's a lot of fun... you bring your own food and drinks and just chill out while the music plays. We are doing that on Sunday. We will head to the next town over for the 4th and go to their festival and fireworks. Hopefully, we make it to the pool on Saturday, but we have things to get done around the house as well.

• We have a birthday party tomorrow then we'll likely spend a lot of time at the beach. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We watch the local fireworks from my parents backyard- they have an amazing view of the city's firework display! We will stop by a friend's house for a bit beforehand to see some friends we haven't seen for a long time. No real plans for Monday. Just looking forward to having the day off. Have to work today, although it shouldn't be too bad because everyone else is taking the day off and most customers are gone too! 
    Me: 26 DH: 33
    Married: 6/14/14
    TTC immediately
    BFP: 11/19/14 MC:12/3/14
    BFP:  2/27/15 Blighted Ovum: 4/10/15, D&C 4/13/15- Trisomy16
    BFP: 12/29/15 EDD: 9/15/16!!  Please be our miracle baby!

• SLou24SLou24 member
    Heading to a party tonight that I'm excited about. These friends have this party every year, and their house is up on a hill out in the country and overlooks a great local fireworks display. Then we just decided last night to take an impromptu trip up to Vermont for the weekend. Staying in a cabin with a few friends, should be super fun! I plan on lots of lounging by the lake with my bump  :)
  • @seitzy3 - if it's the noise that bothers her, could she wear Banz or other ear protection?  Ignore me if you mentioned trying this and it not working.. I am actually too lazy to scroll back up the page today - that's the level of "bleh" that I am about working today.  For Emmett we used Baby Banz for when we went to the air show last year (our house was also in the flight path of the Blue Angels.. my house SHOOK for an entire weekend but it was also amazingly cool).  Just a thought, she'd still be able to hear through them, just very very muffled?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @annas930 I didn't mention it but yes we have used all types of headphones to cover her ears. We even talked to the pediatrician because the anxiety loud noises causes her is unreal. I've even tried multiple videos of fireworks. I thought maybe it was just a phase but the girl starts having panic attacks. It's the saddest thing I have ever seen. I mean, what three year has panic attacks? That's why I stopped taking her to the games. 

She has an appointment this month so I can talk to her doctor about her hearing and what we can do to eliminate the anxiety. She has mentioned some sort of therapy before, but unless this therapist is coming to the game and can see for theirselves how she reacts I'm not sure how that can help. It just breaks my heart because she loves watching her dad play but once the first firework goes off she is traumatized and won't stop crying. 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • @seitzy3 - I couldn't imagine that you hadn't tried ear protection, but figured I'd throw it out there (sometimes I overlook seemingly simple solutions when Emmett stresses me out! ha).  I'm sorry that you guys are in such a bind, poor little miss getting so scared.  I had a couple of cousins who were terrified of fireworks because of the loud noises growing up, they certainly outgrew it but it did take quite a few years
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are going to a local parade and fireworks display tonight. Sat-Mon we are headed to my Aunt's lake house on Lake Michigan. I'm looking forward to hanging out with my family and friends up there. Trying to pack in as much fun as we can with the girls before baby #3 arrives. Whatever you do, enjoy the long weekend!
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @LizC216 - I feel the same way about this whole summer.. pack in as many adventures and as much fun as possible for Emmett this summer before the baby comes. Not that we'll never have fun again - I just don't want him to miss out on this fun time just because I'm large and sweaty (haha).  I do have to remind myself that fun times will continue when boy #2 arrives.. sometimes this feels like "last hurrah!" kind of thing.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @AnnaS930 Exactly! Just a few weeks ago, I suffered through 90 degree temps at a carnival because they were having a blast. I was a sweaty blob by the time it was over, but seeing the joy on their faces made it worth it.
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• LizC216 said:
    @AnnaS930 Exactly! Just a few weeks ago, I suffered through 90 degree temps at a carnival because they were having a blast. I was a sweaty blob by the time it was over, but seeing the joy on their faces made it worth it.
    Exactly!!  The end of a lot of days require a second shower and I am just mentally, physically and emotionally so beyond exhausted. But I think of the giggles and the new adventures and first experiences for my 1.5 year old and I just smile. It's also helping the time fly by to stay busy!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Does anyone else hate this weekend because of fireworks and pets? I have a dog who is very afraid of fireworks (and thunder) so he spends most of the weekend scared and needy and it is really hard to get him outside. I am pretty sure he thinks the world is ending and it is pretty sad to see. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• I was thinking the same thing.  My poor cats.  They have a vet appointment at 4 today because I want them up to date on shots before the baby gets here.  They HATE loud noises.  Today is going to be a horrible day for them  For the first time in decades, my town is hosting fireworks tonight down the block from us.  That being said, I do like NJ's fireworks ban.  While many people just bring them in from PA, it is much quieter than other states I have lived in.

I am going to a bachelorette party tomorrow.  It is exciting to see my friends.  However, sobriety sounds less fun.