September 2016 Moms
Options

First day PDO...

AW alert! I dropped off LO at his first day of Parents Day Out today and I've called once so far to check on him and am trying to keep myself until 1pm before I pick him up (pick up time is 3PM)  :D  We are starting him out on one day a week for the Summer and switching to 3 days in the Fall once LO2 arrives.  This is the first time he has ever been to any kind of day care program.  He's had a nanny 2-3 days a week at our house since he was 6 weeks old to watch him while I work. And in the fall she will stay at home with LO2 and he will be at PDO.  I know its a good plan and he'll enjoy it (eventually) but when I left him today he was bawling and screaming "Mama no! Mama no!"  I'm trying to keep myself distracted cleaning, working (and now bumping!) so I don't call up there again... :#  Reassurance and words of advice/wisdom are welcome!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First day PDO...

• Options
    He will LOVE it.. a nanny is wonderful but this interaction with other kiddos is going to be amazing for him, on top of getting out of the house. Also.. no news is good news. They would contact you if needed, try to hold out on checking in on him again until you go pick him up!  He's going to be SO happy to see you at the end of the day!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The first few days are the worst!! Mine were 4 1/2 before they started daycare but there were still plenty of tears for the first week or so....from them AND DH and I. 

Their daycare has cameras and we can log into their app to check on them at any time. I thought I would be on the app all day everyday. It lasted for a couple of weeks. But I became comfortable with the people at the daycare and the care that they were receiving. Eventually, there were days were I would go to pick the kids up and they wouldn't want to leave because they were having so much fun with their teachers and friends. When that starts to happen, I think you might feel better.

And you're right to keep yourself distracted, although I know it's hard the first few days. I won't say don't worry because it's in our nature as moms to worry. Just know that it'll get better and your LO will come to love having the other kids to play with in addition to the change of scenery. Hang in there!!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I teared up when I dropped him off as his teacher walked to the other room with him.  I bolted so I wouldn't start bawling right along with him.  And another mom looked at me sympathetically and said "First day?"  :D:s:'(

• Options
    Oh I know how hard that is....it's so nice you can ease into it...I made my husband do the drop-offs the first 2 weeks with our daughter...I just couldn't...but after a couple weeks, she learned to love it and the tears stopped...it does get better and it's really good for them!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Also - my kiddo is 1.5, he's been in daycare 3-4 days a week since he was 10 weeks old. We still have days (usually after long weekends) that he is very sad when I leave in the morning. That same afternoon he runs away from me at pick-up time because he doesn't want to leave. Both can be equally as hard, but you learn to just shrug and keep moving forward. You've got this mama!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    He will love it! It's so much harder on us. My girls have been in daycare / preschool for years now but of course I'm worried about them liking summer camp.  It never ends, lol.  Anyway, I'm sure he will do great!
    DD1 6.2011 
    DD2 4.2013 - vbac
    DS1 9.2016 - vbac, team green
    Baby #4 due 9.2018
  • Options
    @izzetoot I'm pretty sure the first day is harder on Mama! I remember the first time I took little dude to daycare. I was a total wreck. He LOVES it now, and is so proud of the art he makes and the friends he has. It's all worth it in the end!

Good luck transitioning, though. It IS tough!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    RedMarRedMar member
    Hang in there @izzetoot!! We haven't put him in a day care setting but have dropped him off at someone else's house... And I hated every second knowing that he was there. 

My mommy guilt stems from him preferring DH over me. It's mainly because DH spent every waking hour with him these past months. Now that I'm home with him 24-7, the tables are slowly turning. Although he still yells for dada when he wakes up ... Sigh... 
  • Options
    Awwww :) mine is definitely a mamas boy. But he's with me 24hrs a day besides the 2 days I have a nanny and now PDO. He was asleep when I picked him up and as soon as he opened his eyes and saw me he jumped up into my arms and started sobbing "Mama! Mama!" I teared up again  :'( I picked him up 1.5 hrs early and stared at the clock the whole time he was there! I don't know how I'm going to be capable of having this much love for 2 little men. I'm going to cry at least once a day for the next 4 years!! Lol!!  :D

• Options
    @izzetoot - If I could bottle the feeling I get each day I pick up my son from daycare and his whole face lights up when he sees me.. it's just incredible. Thinking of picking him up and his future little brother.. and how excited they'll be to see each other (some days.. I'm not hoping for miracles here), I just can't wait!
    Pregnancy Ticker