January 2017 Moms

Nursery ideas

i know it's early but what's everyone thinking for nursery themes? For my first we did the peeking pooh theme (still being sold at bru) but I'm kind of stumped on this one- particularly if it's a boy. Im thinking maybe elephants - and again that could go both ways too but I'm just kinda unsure. 

Re: Nursery ideas

• edited June 2016
    With DD I did a very very mild fairy theme.  Colors were pink and light green and I hung fairy prints on the wall, along with a quote from Peter Pan that my sister painted on a canvas. The new baby will be sharing a room with DD since our third bedroom is basically a walk in closet. Because of that, the theme for this baby is going to have to piggy back off of her theme.  If it's a girl,that's easy enough; we'll just add a crib and we're done.  For a boy, I'll probably subtly change the theme to a general Peter Pan theme instead of fairies. He'd have to put up with a good bit of pink though :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Pottery barn has some crib sets on sale  but the two I like are gender specific and we won't know baby's gender for almost 2 months! 
  • I have no idea about a theme yet. I'm still trying to figure out how we are going to fit two cribs and anything else in our tiny nursery. Has anyone used or considered mini cribs?

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • We were originally thinking something fun like robots or dinosaurs but then we remembered we have an old poster from when DH taught high school that's a periodic table of elephants so we might switch to elephants and use it.
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• @sldp123 are you having twins? Pardon my ignorance or are your LOs just sharing a room? If it's just one infant you could probably keep your new LO in a basinet for a little while or a portable crib (we had a graco one we used when LO was born that we kept in our room). They could probably stay in there up to 6 months.... If you're not having twins you might be able to fit your older in a toddler bed by then. How big is your room? I have no experience with mini cribs but some of the very basic models of cribs seem less bulky and they might work 
  • Our house is 120 years old. Our daughter had a vintage floral theme in her room. This time if it's a boy we're doing a vintage airplane theme in the nursery, if it's a girl she'll inherit the vintage floral and DD will move into the bigger room and get a new theme. Not sure what it'll be though 
  • When we got married and I moved in, we did some painting in our house. The room that we knew would some day become the nursery was made in to a guest room with a buttery yellow on the walls and then we had black and gray furniture. When we had our first, we kept the wall color (as planned) and then just put dark wood furniture in and went with a gray, yellow, and white theme with elephants as the primary theme. No idea what we will do for this one. The furniture will probably transition to this one so once we know gender we may do something a little different in the other room.

Pregnancy Ticker

• With Owen we did more of a color theme. Light gray walls with accents of blue, yellow, and green in the room. The pictures I chose were song lyrics - one from our wedding and one from a childhood favorite of mine that my mom sang to me.

For a girl I think I would do a bright aqua wall with yellow accents (then especially I can reuse some of the bedding). I have NO clue what I'd do for a boy this time. Owen's room is navy now, so that's out. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • KimC85KimC85 member
    We don't do themes. DDs room is aqua with pink accents. If it's another girl I'll probably do lilac. If it's a boy I'm sure my husband will want a nautical twist. 
  • We're going with a woodland theme, with a soft grey for the walls, some white trees painted on one wall, and little animals like foxes, deer, owls, etc. My husband loves doing woodworking stuff, so he's going to make some things for the room like boxes, a little birdhouse light, and a small bookshelf out of a pallet. And I will probably crochet, sew, and paint several different things for decor. I've probably already spent way too much time on Pinterest looking up ideas. 

Jan '17 August siggy challenge: Cat fails

• I'm thinking of doing owls for a girl and a nautical/anchor theme for a boy. I'm not really a huge fan of decorating with cartoon characters (i.e: Minnie Mouse, Transformers, etc). 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We did bright colors for my son, turquoise, orange and lime green accents with black furniture and sky blue walls. He will probably move into the bigger guest room, and I will redo it and the nursery with a new theme. I am really liking the neutrals this time around. Maybe grays with light yellows or blues, depending on what we have. 
  • I really like these sets and would probably mostly do color otherwise and I could totally do the lion one for a girl or a boy.... But dd room is light green (bright) and our play room is sky blue (not as bright as the blue on the set) and our entire upstairs is gray.... So I feel like if it is a girl I'd love to add another color since the playroom and DDs doors are always open. 
  • @emilyn2012 yes, we are having twins and our third bedroom is tiny. It's like maybe 8'x8' and I'm freaking out. We had plans to add a master suite in a few years (more like 10 originally but now we are thinking we will have to move that up, haha) but until then the babies will have to share the third bedroom.

• TinaBelcherTinaBelcher member
    edited June 2016
    sldp123 said:
    I have no idea about a theme yet. I'm still trying to figure out how we are going to fit two cribs and anything else in our tiny nursery. Has anyone used or considered mini cribs?
    Yeah I've looked at mini cribs too. Our nursery isn't tiny but 2 full size cribs might make it feel that way! We'll probably end up with full cribs (IKEA- super plain, minimal footprints) but a lot of twin moms in my groups went with mini cribs and didn't regret it. Some even use just one crib for both babies but I'd like to teach them early about their own space and personal space etc 
  • sagoonsagoon member
    We did a light bunny theme for our son (born the year of the rabbit!) but it was very mild, theme-wise.  For art we bought some of the animals in hats prints from this store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/poordogfarm?ref=pr_faveshops
    This time I have no idea what we will do.  I'll probably wait until we know the sex before planning.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @TinaBelcher thank you! I was thinking at best we will be able to get two very simple full size cribs. I will check out Ikea. I originally considered just doing one crib, but I don't think that will last very long and we will end up needing another one anyway, so I'd rather just figure out the space from the start. 

• These are basically the "inspirations" I found for whichever nursery theme DH and I decide on. 

And it's kind of funny/ironic that we're considering Emma as a baby girl name. :)<3 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • LJ623LJ623 member
    DH and I are planning on a woodland animal bedding set ("Echo" sold at BRS)...and then focusing in on the fox.  We're planning a light green color for the walls, and are very happy with this theme for either boy or girl!  One of our best friends is an artist, and he had previously offered to help paint a mural on the wall that matches the woodland/fox theme.  

BFP: 1/31/15; MMC: 3/31/15
    BFP: 4/26/16; Baby Girl Born: 1/3/17
    BFP: 10/1/21; EDD: 6/10/22
  • We're doing either:
    - My Friend Totoro themed
    - Astronaut / space explorer (not "celestial" but more science-y)
    - The Little Prince (if it's a boy, I think this could be gender-neutral too but... meh)
    - Woodland forest animal

I think OH and I are feeling most strongly about the first two though. I really wanted to do like a video game themed nursery since I cross-stitch a lot and have been making some stuff for the baby (I feel like I've posted this everywhere but...):

But I dunno if we really want to do that because most of the nursery photos I've seen that go that route seem so busy and over-the-top and not calming for a baby.
  • christac1010christac1010 member
    edited June 2016
    I'm convinced I'm having a boy, so I've only really looked at more masculine designs. I love nautical themes and Finding Nemo. I also love elephants as a theme, because we've been calling the baby Peanut since our BFP. I'll probably wait to do any work in the nursery until we know for sure though. 

ETA because proofreading more than once is important. Especially when hungry. 
  • I did just colours not a theme for DD, she had pink, purple and aqua as the main colours.  The crib set I found with those colours had safari animals on them so I got some matching pictures for the wall with those too.
    If this one is a girl the room will be purple and teal, if it's a boy I am thinking light blue, green and orange.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • This is my inspiration, thanks to Pinterest. I want it a mix of library and Wes Anderson movies. It'll be for either sex of baby, so we can get started now!

I'm trained as a librarian (I have my MLIS, but am currently a stay at home mom), so I love love love the library theme idea!!
  • The baby will have my daughter's nursery. We might spice it up a bit, but the theme isn't changing. The colors are grey, black, white and unstained wood (I realize that isn't a color). It's completely gender neutral despite designing it for her when she was 6 months old. I like intense graphics. Her sheets are from land of nod and have lion illustrations in black on grey. It's simple. 
  • No theme here. The room that we are going to use has cedar shiplap walls that will be white washed white. We're going to do neutrals with gold and then random rustic, antique pieces. 
  • Has anyone ever bought from pbkids before? I am really thinking I'll buy those crib sets today and send one back in August/early September. It'll be less than 90 days but I don't want them to refuse to accept it... 
  • I think this baby will be homeless. We live in a house with 2 bedrooms upstairs and 2 bedrooms downstairs. I think the baby will stay in our room and then will have to share with my daughter, I'm  not ready for her to be upstairs alone.

Is anyone else in the same situation?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    Great ideas everyone!
    Our children will be sharing a room, so...as of right now, daughter's room is very pink, with a lace, chandelier, and french toile print theme. If the baby is a girl, we'll get bedding and decor that continue that theme. However, if the baby is a boy, we are going to do a complete overhaul because there is no way to coordinate a matching boy theme  in with the current decor. So, should the baby be a boy, we're going to do half the room in a pink chevron pattern theme, and the other half with a grey chevron pattern. At least, that's what I'm thinking as of now. Maybe I'll come across something different. All the furniture for the children is/will be white.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • stumptownmamastumptownmama member
    edited June 2016
    Our DDs nursery wasnt too themey. I started with colors- light gray walls and accents of peach, coral, mint and golden yellow and with white furniture. I have a lot of geometric prints and it took on a bit of a southwestern/tribal look. I made a dreamcatcher mobile that I absolutely love. 

For or this baby I think I'll do the same light gray walls. It's so soothing and calm. Colors might change a bit depending on if it's a boy or girl but I'm not into super girly colors or prints. I might do some cute watercolor animal prints on the wall and make a mobile out of branches. So I guess I'm leaning nature themed. 
  • I really wanted to do foxes (for years). But I've had 4 people tell me they were stealing it, and I've seen it on the top 10 nursery ideas on several different sites - this includes those that go woodland themed. 

I hate that. We rediscussed it and are now thinking a mythological creature theme. No specific anything and not gender specific as we're team green. 

@canavara My brother was hoping we could include My neighbor Totoro in our mythological theme (I said no) because he found this awesome clock he loves, and had nothing to get it for. I'll see if I can figure out what it was of you go that route. P.S. that would be awesome! 
  • For my son, I didn't want to necessarily have a theme but wanted a great color scheme that would wouldn't clash with kids colorful toys.

The link it was originally found on no longer works: https://www.chiccheapnursery.com/2011/real-rooms/childish-and-serene-nursery-featured-real-room/

I ended up using this nursery as my inspiration.  Our nursery furniture is dark espresso/cherry colored and our lazyboy nursing chair is also chocolate brown so I helped lighten up the room by adding white wainscoting halfway up the wall.  For the sheets and bedding, I found the Dr. Sues 'Oh the places you'll go' boy bedding to work great with the color scheme.  It took me forever to get the paper lanterns just the way I like it.  I put it over his crib.  I loved loved it.  He got sick and I used a warm humidifier in the room to help get his mucus up.  It wilted all the lanterns so I took them down. :(
    BabyName Ticker
  • BrialaBriala member
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Me: 26 DH: 29 Married 8/4/2012
    BFP #1 8/20/2013 | EDD 5/4/2014 | MMC 10/2/2013 9w3d | D&C 10/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/8/2014 (kinda) EDD 10/29/2014
     | DS Born 10/8/2014 
    TTCAL 11/2015 BFP #3 5/12/16 | EDD Jan 2017
  • BrialaBriala member
    edited June 2016
    Sorry for t the double post but this is our nursery we did for DS. We have more on the other walls too, an owl, more foxes etc. The closet is our changing area :) 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Me: 26 DH: 29 Married 8/4/2012
    BFP #1 8/20/2013 | EDD 5/4/2014 | MMC 10/2/2013 9w3d | D&C 10/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/8/2014 (kinda) EDD 10/29/2014
     | DS Born 10/8/2014 
    TTCAL 11/2015 BFP #3 5/12/16 | EDD Jan 2017
  • @Briala my daughter has that same crib! I love it but I came to find out it's pretty short and she climbs out of it. 
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    We're doing a light deer theme. Colors are white furniture with navy blue, fuchsia, orange, teal, and mint, with some very random gold touches here and there. Here are some of the things we have for the room. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Renee1105 said:
    I think this baby will be homeless. We live in a house with 2 bedrooms upstairs and 2 bedrooms downstairs. I think the baby will stay in our room and then will have to share with my daughter, I'm  not ready for her to be upstairs alone.

Is anyone else in the same situation?
    Sort of! We live in a rented 2 bedroom apartment, so painting the walls isn't an option. I'm hoping my mom can come stay with us for a month or two after the baby is born, and hopefully after that my mother in law can come too. So, we will probably keep the second bedroom as a guest room and put the crib in our bedroom. Part of me wishes we could do a cute nursery, but I'm grateful that we can offer our families a room of their own while they helps us transition into a family of 3. I'll live vicariously through everyone else's ideas, they're really fantastic!
  • zdmd_14zdmd_14 member
    edited July 2016
    @renee1105 We have a similar issue.  3 bedrooms on the main floor, 1 downstairs.  We've got 2 kids already and can't convince them to move back in together (even though they often sleep together
    by choice).  When talking about who would move downstairs (it's the largest room), we ended up deciding that it will be us.  Being that far away from the kids (especially a baby/toddler) worries me a little but we'll just have to make it work.  
    We do plan on cosleeping (with a side-car crib) for a while.  Once the baby is upstairs, we will likely have a baby monitor set up in the hallway.  That way we can hear if anyone needs us. 

ETA--this also means that I can't really completely decorate a nursery until the baby is mostly of our room.  We will have all its furniture in its room but the crib will be in ours....  I do plan on putting the pack n play in the nursery initially so that it can take naps in there & get used to the room. 
    DD1 (2008) DD2 (2010), #3 (DH's first bio kid) on the way in January 2017!
    Almost always mobile bumping--forgive my typos. :)
  • zdmd_14 said:
    @renee1105 We have a similar issue.  3 bedrooms on the main floor, 1 downstairs.  We've got 2 kids already and can't convince them to move back in together (even though they often sleep together
    by choice).  When talking about who would move downstairs (it's the largest room), we ended up deciding that it will be us.  Being that far away from the kids (especially a baby/toddler) worries me a little but we'll just have to make it work.  
    We do plan on cosleeping (with a side-car crib) for a while.  Once the baby is upstairs, we will likely have a baby monitor set up in the hallway.  That way we can hear if anyone needs us. 

ETA--this also means that I can't really completely decorate a nursery until the baby is mostly of our room.  We will have all its furniture in its room but the crib will be in ours....  I do plan on putting the pack n play in the nursery initially so that it can take naps in there & get used to the room. 
    We have a similar bedroom situation in our new house, too.  There are 2 bedrooms on the 2nd floor and 1 on the 1st, which we were originally going to use as a playroom but then when we found out about the new baby we decided that had to be our bedroom, because the 3rd bedroom definitely couldn't hold more than one crib or all of DH's and my bedroom furniture, so our original plans couldn't work out.  I was definitely nervous about sleeping on a different floor than DD at first but so far it's gone really well! I think it may be more challenging when she transitions to a toddler bed and may want to come downstairs to see us at night, but we'll figure that out when it gets here.