September 2015 Moms
Options

Advice on changing bedtime

DS sleeps great at bedtime usually giving me a full 11 hours. I've always followed his cues and he basically set his own bedtime. Around 3-4 months old he was going to bed around 7 which I loved. Now I have to fight to get him to stay up until 5. Back in March I was sooo looking forward to the time change thinking he would start going to bed at 6 but it's like he knew and adjusted back to 5?! 
So we start our bedtime routine around 4:30 and he's out by 5. He will sleep until 4am. I have been telling myself to just deal with it because I stay at home but I would love to change his bedtime to 6 or 7 if that meant a 5am wakeup. Yes I'm desperate for just one more hour! I have a very hard time making myself go to bed after I get him to sleep. It's just so early! 

Anyone have experience pushing bedtime later?

Re: Advice on changing bedtime

• Options
    We use the 2-3-4 method for naps, first nap is 2hours after LO wakes up, next one is 3 hours after she wakes up from that, and bed is 4 hours after that. It's worked great for us. If I were you, I'd start trying to do a modified version of that based on when you want him to wake up. So if you want him to wake up at 6, start trying to push his first nap a little at a time to 8. I would just start trying to get him to your ideal wake and bed times, using like half hour increments. So if he wants to go to bed at 5, try to push it to 5:30 for a few days, then 6, then 6:30...also, when LO wakes up much earlier than we want, like at 4 or 5 on the rare occasion, we let her hang out in her crib for a bit rather than going right in to get her. It tells her it's not time to get up yet and sometimes she'll fall right back to sleep! It's hard but you can do it! Good luck!

• Options
    I've read that taking them outside in the late afternoon and exposing them to sunshine can help reset their circadian rhythm.  No idea if it works though and I'm not sure how many days you would have to try it before you started to see results. It might be worth a try though!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've read that taking them outside in the late afternoon and exposing them to sunshine can help reset their circadian rhythm.  No idea if it works though and I'm not sure how many days you would have to try it before you started to see results. It might be worth a try though!
    This has worked wonders for my little guy. He would nap between 4 to 6 and then bedtime was tough at 8. I take him out every afternoon and he's us all asleep by 8 and sleeps until 6 or 7. I highly recommend getting him outside in the later afternoon.