• sagoonsagoon member
    egilona said:
    @sagoon I did not know there would be butt swabs involved in this  :|
    Just you wait! :p

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • egilona said:
    @sagoon I did not know there would be butt swabs involved in this  :|
    There are but my OB was so gentle and quick about it that I honestly forgot that it even happened until just now.  I'm sure there are some who aren't but last time around, for me, it really wasn't anywhere near as uncomfortable as it sounds. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm pretty sure my strep b test wasn't in my butt for my first??? 
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    The babysitter comment kind of kills me and simultaneously baffles me. Do many people have family that live that close to them to literally never entrust the care of their child to someone other than a parent or sibling? That must be nice! My opinion for today, which I hope is actually not all that unpopular, is that we all come from all different walks of life. I think for the most part, parents try to make the best choices for their families given their specific circumstances. I don't know any parent that has ever found a babysitter off of craigslist or not researched a "stranger" through a referral, interview, or some other kind of vetting process. But I do know plenty of people that are not fortunate enough to have family near by, or are single parents, or are effectively single parents, which requires them to utilize child care that isn't a close, personal relative.
    I understand not everyone lives near close family - or even has a relationship with their family. I recognize that I'm incredibly blessed to live near family who can watch my daughter if I need them to. 
    If a parent needs someone to watch their children, though, my *personal* opinion is that it's ideal if they found someone that they knew IRL, and had personal dealings with IRL, or at the very least someone that their friends/family/co-workers personally know and can refer them to. Rather than a total stranger on the internet, who's references you don't know. This baffles me. Clearly, there are circumstances out there, unfortunately, that would call for someone having to find someone on the internet. And in that case, all the parent can do is their due diligence 
    It's obviously an unpopular opinion - but that's what this thread is all about :wink:
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • The babysitter comment kind of kills me and simultaneously baffles me. Do many people have family that live that close to them to literally never entrust the care of their child to someone other than a parent or sibling? That must be nice! My opinion for today, which I hope is actually not all that unpopular, is that we all come from all different walks of life. I think for the most part, parents try to make the best choices for their families given their specific circumstances. I don't know any parent that has ever found a babysitter off of craigslist or not researched a "stranger" through a referral, interview, or some other kind of vetting process. But I do know plenty of people that are not fortunate enough to have family near by, or are single parents, or are effectively single parents, which requires them to utilize child care that isn't a close, personal relative.
    I'm with you. I don't know if we are talking about just like, babysitters for date nights, or child care in general. I am lucky to have family nearby, but no one who doesn't have a FT job and can just watch my child(ren) 50 hours a week while I work. If I was never going to leave them with anyone but family, I guess I would have to be a SAHM. Not that there's anything wrong with that choice, of course, but it's not ideal or even possible for some.

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17