June 2016 Moms

40 weeks. Vbac. No progress. Losing hope!

My due date was yesterday. This is my second baby. First one was a c section due to labor arrest after 36 hours and I was also induced then at 41 weeks.

We are really hoping for a vbac this time around. At 39+1 I was barely dialted and 50% effaced. Today at 40+1 I was 1cm dialted..I was hoping my midwife would be able to do a membrane sweep to help jump start labor however I wasn't dialted enough for her to get up in there. 

I'm slowly loosing hope that I will have a successful vbac. We have a section scheduled for June 29th if nothing happens by then as my practice let's vbac's go only up to 41 weeks. However my midwife said that they will check me when I go in for my c section, and if my cervix feels favorable, they can try to induce if they feel like it will be a successful one.

Any hope for me? Any mama's out there that had this little progress this late in their pregnancy and ended up going into labor on their own?

Re: 40 weeks. Vbac. No progress. Losing hope!

• adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited June 2016
    I was less than 1 cm and 0% effaced at 41 weeks when she did my sweep. She had little fingers that could reach I guess.  14 hours later I was 2 cm and 100% effaced.  I had my son 3 hours later.  Don't give up hope.  It can happen fast

Eta: I realize it may not have been "on my own" but it shows how "little progress" there can be this late.  I honestly think I was getting ready to go soon anyway.
  • smch24smch24 member
    Thank you. That does give me a little hope. The section is scheduled for next Wednesday and I have a follow up nst on Monday so hopefully we will be able to do the membrane sweep then. Really hoping for a successful vbac
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, there's still hope!!  I went to 41/3 and 42 weeks with my first two and really thought there wouldn't be any hope for me either.  But all my doctor needed was a "loose 1 cm" and was able to sweep my membranes & I was in early labor by 9 pm that night, full blown labor the next afternoon, and baby was born just after midnight.  And, by the way, the birth itself was by far my easiest - after a miserable vaginal delivery with my first, and an equally miserable c/s with my second.  

I know you're feeling doomed, but remember that things really can happen any day/any hour.  

Since they let you go to 41 weeks, can you push the c/s back to be actually 41 weeks?  Give yourself a little more breathing room?
  • I was able to VBAC and went from 1cm dilated on Tuesday with a high and thick cervix to 4cm dilated and bulging bag Wednesday night. Once I got admitted, I was 7cm dilated, and was complete an hour later. Don't give up hope!! I felt the same way as you, i thought for sure I was going to do a RCS that Saturday. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • smch24smch24 member
    alylove11 said:
    I was able to VBAC and went from 1cm dilated on Tuesday with a high and thick cervix to 4cm dilated and bulging bag Wednesday night. Once I got admitted, I was 7cm dilated, and was complete an hour later. Don't give up hope!! I felt the same way as you, i thought for sure I was going to do a RCS that Saturday. 
    Did you try any at home remedies between Tuesday and wednesday?

Hopefully they will be able to sweep my membranes on monday. Otherwise hubby and I will try to get busy all weekend long to bring something on lol
  • I was induced with my first at 42 weeks and had a long, arduous labor (21 hours). This time around I was only 1cm at 41 weeks, and was at 2cm when I went in for induction at 41+3. I had felt no change at all in those three days, but was certainly grateful for the progress! Fortunately i was favorable enough to go straight to pitocin and have a short (8 hours)and relatively easy delivery. Don't lose hope! Your body may be moving along and you don't even realize it. 
  • @sm24 Yes sex once on Tuesday and nipple stimulation for like 10 secs like I was pumping. Someone told me rough up my nippleswith a loofa or washcloth  but that didn't work last time. After both of those on Tuesday night, I had some minor contractions and cramping. 

• Have you tried placing evening primrose oil capsules next to your cervix? It may help it soften to be favorable for induction if needed.
  • smch24smch24 member
    Water broke at midnight! Wasn't having contractions for a while. Contractions starting to pick up. Hoping everything goes well
  • Good luck!!

• Awesome!  You can do it:)
  • smch24smch24 member
    My water broke and a few hours later I started having contractions every 2-3 minutes. However the little peanut did not like the contractions. His heart rate dropped a few times during contractions and given that I was still in early
  • smch24smch24 member
    Given that I was still in early labor and I was still not dilating, we decided to go forward with the emergency c section to make sure no harm was being done to the baby. At 0704 on June 26th I gave birth to a beautiful and healthy baby boy. Even though it was not the birth I had hoped for, it was perfect
  • Congrats!!
  • Congrats! Glad everything went ok!