Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

OPK Suggestions

MrsFL2015MrsFL2015 member
edited June 2016 in Trying to Get Pregnant
I've searched the history on here to see if there are any recent posts about OPKs.  I didn't see anything recent and I'm hoping I don't get flamed for asking this (the way people get flamed for asking about vitamins).  Anyway,  I'm going to give an OPK a try this month.  I've been charting for 3 cycles now and I'm having a difficult time determining my peak days.  My CM varies month-to-month and sometimes it hard to know when I'm most fertile.  I always ovulate, but we know it's already too late by then.   

Anyway, any suggestions?  They're pretty pricey and I don't want to spend money on one that's crappy.   

Thanks 

Re: OPK Suggestions

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    So you're going to get 'mildly' flamed for this because questions like this are really best suited for either the daily WTO or TWW threads (depending on where you belong at the moment). Those are where you can ask any questions you have (and hopefully give back by answering others) so that the board itself doesn't get cluttered with each persons individual questions.

Also, the newbie thread lays out allllll of the things you need to know about what we as a group recommend in terms of charting and OPKs. So if you check that out you'll get your answer. Do people use things other than what's recommended? Yes, of course. So if you still have more questions after reading that, you could head over to one of the above mentioned threads to get more information, and get to know the ladies here. They're amazing and really helpful. Good luck. 
    Thanks for the advice!  I tried looking for it in some of the previous posts and the newbie threads, but maybe I missed it.  I asked in the WTO post yesterday, but I didn't get any responses.  There's like 60+ responses in today's WTO and I feel like my question would have been lost again.  

It would be cool if the admin for the board could make some permanent posts on OPKs, vitamins, etc.  I know my brain gets overwhelmed when I'm trying to find info about a particular topic and there are tons of posts to skim through.    Hopefully others will find this post useful too.  

• Options
    krys-2krys-2 member

It would be cool if the admin for the board could make some permanent posts on OPKs, vitamins, etc.  I know my brain gets overwhelmed when I'm trying to find info about a particular topic and there are tons of posts to skim through.    Hopefully others will find this post useful too.  

That's all in the Newbie guide. Which an admin has already made a permanent post. https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12613283/the-ultimate-ttgp-guide-newbies-read-this-first/p1
    Me: 34 | DH: 35  
    Met: 2003
    Married: 2005
    TTC #1: May 2016
  • Options
    Are you temping as well? I have the Wondfo OPK's and they worked great last month but I never did get a positive this month so the only way I knew I O'd was by temp. I second what PP said about ordering from Amazon. I hope you find a brand that you like. Good luck!

• Options
    Last cycle I used Easy@Home. I bought it off of Amazon. I think it was something like 50 OPK and 20 HPTs for $25. They seemed to work really well for me. You can also try reading reviews online, that's what I did. 

Sorry I missed your response in WTO yesterday, but generally the ladies are really good at responding and trying to help out as best as we can in the daily threads!

Also, regarding your "don't flame me", I don't think people get flamed for asking these kinds of questions we try to give suggestions and directions on where to look in the future. It is generally the random rude responses that are given afterwards that set people off. Anywho, I am just going to go ahead and leave Mr. Bean here because looking at this made me giggle.

10/2/10  <3
    Me:29 H: 31
    TTC#1: Aug 2015
    https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/5e3072

• Options
    I use the wondof brand and ordered them from Amazon and I'm liking them so far and they are really cheap
  • Options
    I, too, use Wondfo opks. I also bought a box of CBD . Wondfos are cheap, CBD isn't, but I use the wondfos frequently. Then when I think it's positive I use the CBD to confirm, which has been really helpful to me. The box of CBD has lasted me months.
    DD 6/2007
    DS 4/2009
    m/c 11/12/2010 ~ 7 wks
    m/c 7/4/2012 ~ 6 wks
    DD 12/2013
    mmc Baby Girl 7/12/2015 ~ 14 weeks  <3
    Twin girls! 8/26/2017

• Options
    Another person chiming in here to say that I use Wondfo OPKs. They're amazing and I definitely recommend them. They're also very cost effective. 

I personally do use a couple of ClearBlue Advanced Digital OPKs each month in addition to the Wondfos because a lot of months I'll O the same day as my first +OPK. And since my husband and I can't really have a lot of sex prior to a +OPK since he burns out pretty fast and is done for the cycle (and then, ya know, we end up missing O because he's like no thanks I'm totally done.) It helps me to be able to see the "high" days so I know we can probably start having sex without being too terribly worried that we're starting too soon and I'm going to mess it up for the cycle. I mean, it still happens. But at least being able to see the "high" before the "peak" helps.

But I mean, unless you're dealing with something like that you only really need a wondfo OPK. Wondfo OPKs have worked wonderfully for me for predicting ovulation. 10/10 definitely recommend. 
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm actually glad this question was asked - thanks OP.  I read through the newbie guide when I first came on to lurk but a lot of it went over my head so I think I need to go back and read through it now that I am getting the hang of it all.  

I used the CB advanced OPK earlier this week and got low the first day and then peak the next day.  I thought that was odd and found online that it happens a lot and then the CB FAQ's said if you don't use first urine of the morning after longest sleep it could give you a false peak...ugh.  I bought a pack of the Wondfo's online yesterday and got the CVS generic brand OPK so i could test yesterday afternoon and that came back negative.  This morning was negative too.  I'm on CD 11 and my temp is still low so I want to continue to test this cycle until I see a change.  

Anyway, the comments here are super helpful and I'm glad I bought the wondfos so I can test to my hearts content until I get a temp rise.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for all the personal suggestions.  I'm going to try a cheap one first to see how it goes and to make sure I'm doing it correctly.   I'm getting close to testing time (for ovulation) and I don't want to wait for something to get shipped to my house. I don't have Prime, so I'd have to wait a few days to get  the Wondfo off Amazon.  

I believe I once read that people can get them at the dollar store?  Are they any good?  I'm a bit nervous.  If not, I think I'm going to go with CB for the first time.  Thanks! 
  • Options
    MrsFL2015 said:
    Thanks for all the personal suggestions.  I'm going to try a cheap one first to see how it goes and to make sure I'm doing it correctly.   I'm getting close to testing time (for ovulation) and I don't want to wait for something to get shipped to my house. I don't have Prime, so I'd have to wait a few days to get  the Wondfo off Amazon.  

I believe I once read that people can get them at the dollar store?  Are they any good?  I'm a bit weary.  If not, I think I'm going to go with CB for the first time.  Thanks! 
    I used $ store tests for a month. I thought they were good, Wondfos were just cheaper so that's why I switched. I think those are a good option to start with if you don't have time to get the cheap internet ones!
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Me: 26 DH: 24
    Married: November 2015  <3
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    Computer Hope
  • Options
    izza2izza2 member
    I third the point that having every question pushed to the WTO/TWW threads keeps it from being searchable by new members. The board is basically only WTO/TWW. Having separate threads for legit questions isn't going to clutter anything. It'll help break up the mass of daily threads still hanging around days later.

OP - are you temping? I don't get the impression that you are, but that you're relying on CM to track ovulation. If you're temping, how are your charts looking that you're not seeing a clear temperature shift? If you're not temping - is there any reason why? It's the best way to track your ovulation at home. OPKs are helpful, but they test for LH surges, and you can have multiple LH surges throughout your cycle without having actually ovulated.

As far as OPK brands - you can get dollar store tests, and they should all work for you (keep in mind that some women don't turn a "true positive" on an OPK despite ovulating regularly). If you want to save money, though, buying Wondfos from Amazon is a cheaper way to go. You can buy mixed packages of like so-many OPKs and so-many HPTs so you're set for both parts of your cycle. I think they average somewhere around $0.30 cents a test or something if you buy Wondfos? So, you're saving a lot of money even in one cycle.

Good luck with your TTC journey, and I hope your stay here is a short one!

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    MrsFL2015 said:

I believe I once read that people can get them at the dollar store?  Are they any good?  I'm a bit nervous.  If not, I think I'm going to go with CB for the first time.  Thanks! 
    I haven't used the dollar store ones because Wondfo's are cheaper. I need to test 2-3 times a day to see a positive opk, and even then I sometimes just see it get close to positive and then return to negative. I usually start testing the first day I have EWCM. You shouldn't use FMU and should try to hold your pee for a few hours before testing. Late morning to mid afternoon seem to be the best times to test.