January 2017 Moms

UO 6/30

sagoonsagoon member
edited June 2016 in January 2017 Moms
'Tis Thursday!  Regale us with your unpopular opinions!

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: UO 6/30

• Vivi20Vivi20 member
    @adorebella You are actually right. I admit, I am guilty of being skeptical of doctors and interventions. After having a midwife, I'm terrified that I have an ob-gyn this time around. But when it comes down to it, he is the one who is the doctor and knows a heck of a lot more than I do. So while I still would like my wishes and desires known/respected, I also need to just trust that he does, in fact, know what he is doing.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll admit I judge people how they dress. Yesterday I interviewed two people and they weren't dressed badly, but their style was really dated. My first thought was, this isn't going to go very well...

Long story in a nutshell, it was one of the worst, most awkward work experiences I've had before. I felt so emotionally drained afterward and had to shut off my phone and email for a while and retreat to get my mind back on track. So in other words, the experience didn't help me get over my McJudgy pants.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    I think it's irresponsible to go on the internet to find a babysitter for your child. I can't fathom the idea of perusing a website and picking out a total stranger to watch your children. I honestly can't believe there are parents who would do that. The only people who I entrust our daughter's life to are our parents and siblings. If those people aren't available, then we don't go out or I don't get a day just to myself.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • @jlea05 I totally agree. I think it's perfectly acceptable to go in with some opinions but like you said they know what they're doing. I certainly wouldn't go on record saying that every doctor is amazing and respectful and has the best of intentions but I would say those things of the doctor that I personally and thoughtfully chose. I can't think of any other aspect of medical care where people have the kind of strong opinions they do about child birth. I don't go into surgery making demands about the kinds of practices, medications, and tools the doctor uses because I trust them to know their shit. I think that when it comes to pregnancy and delivery there's only so many things we could have control over that we go a little overboard about trying to be in the driver's seat IMO.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    @elvinnoe I admit I judge people based on what they wear/how put together they are. I think it's important to present yourself respectably. That doesn't mean you have to have a blow out and makeup and expensive clothes. But brush your hair, bathe yourself, and wear clean clothes that fit. And pajama pants in public? No. Just no. You look like a homeless person. It takes the same amount of effort, and is just as comfy, to pull on some nice yoga pants or leggings. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • Spinning off the comment about leggings - I must be a total prude but I cannot stand when people wear leggings with a shirt that doesn't cover their caboose. I don't even know what it is but I think leggings always call for a long top. However, I don't feel this way if it's workout attire, which is probably hypocritical. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    Yes! Cover your bum!
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • edited June 2016
    Spinning off the comment about leggings - I must be a total prude but I cannot stand when people wear leggings with a shirt that doesn't cover their caboose. I don't even know what it is but I think leggings always call for a long top. However, I don't feel this way if it's workout attire, which is probably hypocritical. 
    I agree with all of this, including the work out attire thing.  I think it's because when you're working out there are different standards  - like, it's not really acceptable to just wear a bra in public, but if you're working out, just a sports bra is fine.  

ETA I don't really have my own UO at the moment but if I think of one I'll post it:)
  • @karaelaine1991 Yeah I think that must be it. When I'm running I wear super tight spandex-y shorts and stuff but I feel inappropriate if I have to wear it anywhere other than running. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @nolemomma14 That's a fair point. I haven't yet needed childcare other than close friends and family but if I wasn't near family I certainly would have to (mama needs a night out!!!). I have lots of friends that moved here from out of state just prior to having children and it can be really stressful for them not having family to help with childcare. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jlea05 I agree with the sitter thing. It just makes me too nervous to leave LO with someone we don't know really well. We found a college student from our church that had experience keeping children, and we left him with her some when our parents both went out of town at the same time once. We also have a college student that used to work at our son's daycare. We saw her interact with kids and knew she was a great choice before we ever left him with her.
  • @adorebella yes to the doctor skeptics! 
    My UO I guess piggybacks off of that. I hate feeling like I'm judged for having a high intervention birth with my daughter. I went with an OB, had my labor started with pitocin, my waters artificially broken, and an epidural. My labor was short so I've requested an induction this time round too. Yet I feel like I get tons of side eye for not wanting a "more natural" experience.
  • katesmama0706katesmama0706 member
    edited June 2016
    @karaelaine1991 oh hells no lol girl you eat that sugar 
  • @karaelaine1991 He can jump right off a flaming cliff with that idea. Hard pass.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @katesmama0706 Oh yeah I've definitely felt that judgement and had the same interventions, which I would have again in a heartbeat if the situation called for them! Actually, the epidural is happening no matter what. Don't even get me started on the heavy judgement I've gotten from some for being straight to formula this time around. The boobs are closed for business. Forever.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • BrialaBriala member
    @adorebella I totally agree of it weren't for medical intervention then neither me nor DS likely would have survived childbirth he was sooo stuck. 

I also am tired of the judging for A. Having a c-section with DS and B. Having a RCS scheduled in advance. I actually had people tell me that "people who have c-sections just didn't try hard enough." I didn't even know what to say that person had no idea what I went through with DS or how I felt needing an emergency c-section, much less the epidural not working during said c-section and being strapped down unable to do anything but cry in pain. I'm terrified to give birth again, I am choosing what I think will be the healthiest option for both me and baby with my Dr's input and advice. She thinks it's a bad idea to pursue a vbac in my case. With a planned cesarean we can have lots of back up plans in case something happens again. I'm getting really annoyed that people automatically assume I am taking the easy way out or not willing to attempt a vbac. 

Also I reallly dislike rap music it just sounds like noise. What is the point of singing a song or lyrics if no one can understand you? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Me: 26 DH: 29 Married 8/4/2012
    BFP #1 8/20/2013 | EDD 5/4/2014 | MMC 10/2/2013 9w3d | D&C 10/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/8/2014 (kinda) EDD 10/29/2014
     | DS Born 10/8/2014 
    TTCAL 11/2015 BFP #3 5/12/16 | EDD Jan 2017
  • @Briala Oh man, I fully, 100%, without a doubt support your decision to go for a RCS. I'm facing a similar choice. Owen got stuck too, possibly because he was the size of a 3-month old. My doctor has told me that because of my history I can opt for a c-section at any point and if this baby is measuring big too at a 36 weeks scan then c-section is the route we have to go (which I totally agree with). I'm on the fence right now but if I decide to do a c-section there will be absolutely no shame. I'll do whatever I have to to get a healthy baby out of the deal. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • BrialaBriala member
    edited June 2016
    @ThePax89 ohh definitely this
    @adorebella Thanks  <3
    Or seeing carseats on top of carts where kiddo is supposed to sit with legs out. Suuper unsafe and can void your carseat warrenty and safety because your trying to *latch* where its not supposed to. 

I also dislike when poeple babywear incorrectly to where safety is a concern. I am all for babywearing but be safe about it! A quick google search and you will have all the safety points you need to know about.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Me: 26 DH: 29 Married 8/4/2012
    BFP #1 8/20/2013 | EDD 5/4/2014 | MMC 10/2/2013 9w3d | D&C 10/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/8/2014 (kinda) EDD 10/29/2014
     | DS Born 10/8/2014 
    TTCAL 11/2015 BFP #3 5/12/16 | EDD Jan 2017
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    The term "helicopter parent" really gets under my skin. I resent the fact that because I keep an extremely careful eye on my daughter, play with her, and am considered strict, that this somehow makes me a helicopter mom. Aren't I just being a mom and doing my duty to care for and protect her? I mean, if that makes me a helicopter mom, I'll take it...but the negative connotation is what I guess bothers me.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • @PaukMeKiande you are so lucky to have those strong female influences!!!!!! I was the first in my family to breastfeed, and was lucky to have great support. 
  • @ThePax89 Lol I think it was just because we were all poor and in the South. It was a way to save money and keep from having another mouth to feed for a while. We all had clotheslines and they made their own cloth diapers out of leftover fabric.
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • sagoonsagoon member
    @PaukMeKiande I have also noticed that everything that is disparaged online is encouraged IRL and vice versa.  Online people side-eye you if you formula feed.  IRL you get dirty looks for breastfeeding.  You cant win!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @PaukMeKiande That sucks that people have not been supportive. But that doesn't necessarily mean you judge people making other choices, right? I'm very much all for everyone just doing whatever works for them. I've been on both sides of the fence and there's judgement no matter what. With my first I planned a med free birth, breastfed (well, EP'd), made my own baby food, cloth diapered, etc. This time I'm planning epidural, formula, jar food, disposables. If a baby is well taken care of I truly don't care about what means someone chooses to get there.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • i agree that having family to take care of kids is ideal, but i'll have little problem if i have to find others to help as well
    my UO is i'm not at all looking forward to attempting to breastfeed. doing it while i'm off for 6 weeks, ok. but after i get back to work it will be awful. 
  • @karaelaine1991 oh hells no lol girl you eat that sugar 
    @karaelaine1991 He can jump right off a flaming cliff with that idea. Hard pass.
    Thanks, all.  He's being super pouty now because I got mad and drove off to the grocery store.  There are just so many reasons why I'm mad about that conversation ughhhh... tried to be pleasant at dinner and make small talk but got one word answers.  Not really sure what I did aside from get mad at him for basically telling me to go on a completely unnecessary diet while pregnant... men! 

And I agree about the unnecessary threads thing but I'm super proud of all of us for not going off on anyone for making them so far! They're dumb and annoying, but yay us for taking the high road!
  • @egilona i remember reading that thread and didn't reply. i personally will get genetic testing done because certain results would make me opt to terminate. i thought about it a lot and feel strongly about it.
  • sagoonsagoon member
    I don't mind the repeat threads at this point.  New people are joining the board every day and they may not know that there was a thread about xyz over a month ago.  Once we have an established group and everyone has been around for a few weeks there is no excuse for not looking for a recent thread, especially on a timely issue (ie when we're all doing glucose tests or having strep B butt swabs or whatever).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • egilona said:
    There was a thread about a month ago - I think it was on this board, but it might have been on a different BMB that I lurked on. Anyway, it was about genetic testing - like yea or nay*, are you/aren't you, pros and cons, etc. Almost invariably, each poster did one of two things: a) stated they were opting out because it wouldn't make a difference for them, or b) made damn sure to preface their saying they were getting it with "but it won't make a difference for us either way". Even people who were getting genetic testing felt it necessary to disclaim "hey we won't terminate!!! I am making sure you know that!" - like, why? So I guess my UO is not only do I think it is ok for the results of genetic testing to make a difference to people in deciding whether to continue their pregnancy, but it will make a difference for me.

* On a lighter note, since I feel that was kind of heavy, some grammar UOs: "yea" is what you say when you are giving a yes vote. It should not be spelled "yay," nor should people type "yea" when they are writing out the enthusiastic interjection - then they should say "yay"."Yeah" is a casual way to say "yes". It should not be rendered as "yea". NOT ALLOWED. (My mom messes these up ALL THE TIME) 
    Very much with you on the grammar thing! I do not see eye to eye with you on the genetic testing but that's all I'll say about that today. 
  • @sagoon I did not know there would be butt swabs involved in this  :|
    Me 32 | DH 32
    married 9/15
    DD: 1/17/17
    #2 due 7/26/20!

• @PaukMeKiande I've got a similar gripe to yours. My husband is a GP, and we have received some serious side eyes for our choice to go with a midwife. I registered for a childbirth prep class, and they have a questionnaire to fill out about you and your birth partner; when I indicated my husband's profession, the woman handling my registration did a double take and said "wait, you want the childbirth for midwives class? Not the class for OB handled births?" 

There seems to be this huge harsh divide between approaches to childbirth and parenting, and it's all a bunch of bullshit, pardon my language. I'm using a midwife, but I'm not bed sharing. I'm going to try to breastfeed, but I'm not taking my full maternity leave. Everybody just does what works for them, and this "camps" approach to everything parenting related is already getting under my skin and I'm not even out of the first trimester. Eesh.
  • egilona said:
    @sagoon I did not know there would be butt swabs involved in this  :|
    Oh yeah, it just gets better and better. They have to check for strep B before the baby is born. I was at least 30 some weeks when they did mine. If you have it, then antibiotics are required before you give birth, so you don't pass it on to the baby.