January 2017 Moms

Birth Center, Home Birth, or Hospital?

I have been going to OBs at a hospital for my first few appointments so far. While they have been nice enough, I'm just not thrilled with the lack of personal care. The doctors just seem so in-and-out. After doing a bunch of research, I'm considering a nurse-midwife at a birth center. I am really hoping for an unmedicated birth and this seems like it will be more personalized. The birth center is 10 minutes from several reputable hospitals if the need arises. This still makes me a little nervous because of all the "what-ifs" but I am low-risk and very healthy. Is anyone else using a birth center?
Me: 34, DH: 33 // Met: 10.21.2007 // Married: 9.18.2015
BFP: 4.29.2016 // EDD: 1.2.2017 (IT'S A BOY!) Born 12/26/16
BFP: 2.10.19 // and MC on 3.19.19
BFP: 7.9.19 // EDD 3.16.20

Re: Birth Center, Home Birth, or Hospital?

• Vivi20Vivi20 member
    Midwives are AWESOME! I think you'd like it since you want more personal type of care. I can't say I really love the idea of birth centers, though. I had a midwife with my daughter, but it was a hospital birth - so in my opinion, the best of both worlds. The scary but very real truth is, is that things can go wrong very fast during labor/delivery, and already being in the hospital sounds like the best option to me.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • My personal stance is I need to be at a hospital but that's because I had a traumatic birth with my first (I was low risk, healthy). I think a birthing center is a perfectly reasonable option though. If you tour the center and feel they're responsive to your needs, professional, knowledgeable, all that jazz then totally go for it. They should be highly trained in this field and will know if something arises that is outside of their capabilities so they can get you the care you need. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am planning on going to a birthing center as well. I'm in the same boat. I have nothing against my current OB, but it just doesn't feel comfortable to me. Plus when I mentioned having a natural/nonmedicated birth I got a very by-the-book and unsupportive response.

The birthing center I am currently touring is by main street so the ambulance and police station are right there, and the hospital is about 10 minutes away. I felt very comfortable talking to the midwife there, plus I know they are knowledgeable. My sister-in-law just delivered there and my brother-in-law was born there 25 years ago. They are very personalized, basically mommy's comfort is very much high-priority. *thumbs up*

The biggest reason I want a birthing center is the fact that a) I wont be tempted to use an epidural. I do not like the idea of drugs in my body during birth and the natural chemical reactions that are blocked from that. b) they are very big on baby bonding immediately after birth, you get to hold your baby for a good while before they even cut the cord to help bonding, the newborn check is done right there in the room so no worries about where baby is, plus it's not a super busy hospital so they don't try and rush you out.

My mother-in-law had all but one birth at home with a mid-wife, and my mother had 6 natural births, and one at home. birthing is the most natural thing on earth, so that's how I want to treat it. If there are complications then we have options.

<3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    @AmyKDuffy We discussed this a while back with a couple of pages of input. I bumped it back up for you. :) 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• I'll be doing a hospital again this go round, but I like me some epidural. I've had 2 very good friends do birthing centers and had wonderful experiences with them. I say go with your gut and what you feel more comfortable with. And most birthing centers are near hospitals so if anything goes wrong you can get medical attention immediately. Honestly if I thought I would be ok with the pain I would absolutely do a birthing center. I really like the idea of a water birth and hypnotherapy, but I'm a wuss, so hospital it is. 
  • Hospital for me, please! Originally I didn't like having an epidural bc I couldn't feel anything and I didn't like having my water broken for me or any of the other unnatural things. Then with DD2, I didn't have the option of having an epidural (autocorrect tried to make that "wild urinal" wtf?). 

Anyway, it was so horrible that I will do whatever I need to for pain management this time around. I got to feel everything last time and decided epidurals feel much better.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Can you find a place that has midwives and OBs?  If you can, it's awesome.  I had a friend who did most of her labor at a birthing center.  They ended up sending her to the hospital - she gave birth before she got into her room.  Everyone was fine and healthy.  She had to pay full price for both.  Not to say that as a scare-thing but just know it may be something to think about when budgeting.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Definitely hospital. I want to be sure I have everything available in case there is an emergency. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    Can I just point out - and this may not be the appropriate thread for it, but - epidurals don't block the natural chemical reaction when it comes to bonding and love. Well, let me rephrase that - it didn't with me. Obviously I can't speak for everyone. I just feel like there is this widespread idea that it DOES, and it's a common belief among very pro-natural birth people. But it's just not very accurate. Don't misunderstand, I'm super pro natural birth as much as possible! But with that said, I did end up getting an epidural because the pain is indescribable. However, it had zero impact on the intensity of the bond between my daughter and I after she was born. She also breastfed immediately like a pro. Just something to keep in mind. Epidurals aren't always bad.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave