February 2017 Moms
Options

Placenta to the Rescue?

Hi all, since 6 weeks I've had M/S. Not too bad but all day queasiness and up until this point, vomited maybe 8 times total. The past couple of days I've had a considerable lack of nausea and my appetite is coming back! And I'm not as bloated anymore. Could my placenta be taking over? I've heard it can happen as early as 9 weeks and I'll be there tomorrow. Anyone else experiencing disappearing symptoms, or have with their previous pregnancies? 

Re: Placenta to the Rescue?

• Options
    Mine are slowly starting to let up! So I really hope you are right. 
  • Options
    Placenta taking over? Explain this to me please. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think I saw it mentioned in the Ovia app.  It said that the placenta starts taking over supporting the baby so your hormones can level out which an result in symptoms relief.

With my first two, I didn't have relief until I was around 15 weeks, so I don't look for it to help me this go round.

• Options
    VastraVastra member
    @HeatSparks I didn't know about this either! That would make sense. I'll be 9 weeks on Friday, and I have noticed that the nausea hasn't been as severe this week. Thanks, placenta! I owe ya one! 

Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Options
    @HeatSparks Lol, doesn't it sound so alien?? 
  • Options
    @Bebe13lue I was afraid to ask in case it was super common knowledge! @Vastra I'm only 7...  Idk how I'm going to make it much longer. I haven't left my bed for more than a couple hours in 4 days. I'm praying I've hit the peak. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @silvercamaro77 yes, you are correct: the placenta "takes over" hormone production (meaning, it starts producing and regulating hormones for the baby so that you don't have to do it anymore).  This process is usually complete by about 12 weeks, which is why MS frequently clears up around then, but it begins to happen gradually in the preceding weeks.
  • Options
    I could be totally making this up, because I'm only a doctor on the internet.. but I'm pretty sure MOST barf-o-rama comes from the HCG spike and not from the estrogen / progesterone building.. at some point during your first trimester HCG like peaks and then mellows out for the remainder of your pregnancy.  so your placenta doesn't really effect puking that much. 

If you start puking immediately after reading this i'm sorry in advance. 
  • Options
    @PerraSucia I can't seem to find my source (of course), but I recently read that HCG levels not only plateau, but tank precipitously in the 2nd trimester.  I'll keep looking because it was a really fascinating read.
  • Options
    Hcg peaks at 10 weeks. Thats why you usually feel better by 12 weeks. Last time I was sick until 16 weeks and my doc said it's because I'm extra sensitive to the lowering levels. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MonaLisaRalphio team science! 

@CAndrada I puked until 16 weeks too!! then again started at 26 weeks.  It was a nice break in the middle
  • Options
    Dd was delivered at 33 weeks. I wonder if I should have gotten sick again at the end. Dear god please no lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know that higher estrogen levels can make you nauseous as well though. I can't handle some types of birth control pills and they always make me throw up because of my sensitivity to higher estrogen. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    VastraVastra member
    @Bebe13lue I was afraid to ask in case it was super common knowledge! @Vastra I'm only 7...  Idk how I'm going to make it much longer. I haven't left my bed for more than a couple hours in 4 days. I'm praying I've hit the peak. 
    Hang in there girl. Ginger and water. You got this. It does get better! 
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Options
    Interesting! I had to get an Rx today for the nausea. I hate feeling the urge to puke 24/7. Last time it didn't stop till 16 weeks. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker