January 2017 Moms

"Mixed" babies anyone?

I am mixed, my dad is black(really he is mixed with a lot, African, Native American, European, possibly Indian. He is very dark skinned) my mom is white (Although her great-grandmother was Native-American) and my husband is white.

Everyone I tell usually reacts with "I wonder what your baby is going to look like!!" It doesn't bother me, I think it's kind of funny, I wonder sometimes myself. More than likely our kids will be very light skinned, however, we have known "white  couples" who had dark skinned children due just to a great-great-grandparents. So the debate amongst lots of family is trying to guess what our child will look like!

I was curious if anyone on here is in a mixed relationship and what sort of reactions/comments you are getting??

To clarify, both sides of the family doesn't care one way or the other, they are very excited and love this baby already. Just excited to meet him or her!

<3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: &quot;Mixed&quot; babies anyone?

• We aren't a mixed couple. In fact both of us are almost 100% English/Norwegian/Irish ancestry minus a small branch of Native American on my side. Both of us are brunette and brown eyed and we still get a litany of comments about wondering what our kids will look like. Which cracks me up because our older daughter is the spitting image of my husband!
  • Loading the player...
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    Both my husband and I are white european. I'm German and French, and my husband is German. Both of us are white (errrr.....make that pasty) with light hair and light eyes, as is everyone else on both sides of our families. Our daughter has our same coloring, so I don't think there's much mystery as to what this baby will look like.
    One of my friends is mixed. Her mother is white and her father is half black and half south american. She is married to a white man and their children look 100% white. They didn't get african american features or coloring at all.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • @paukmekiande love that gif!  My husband and I both have blue eyes and when I was pregnant with my daughter my MIL was hoping for a brown-eyed baby.  MIL, FIL, SIL, and DH are all blue-eyed and she thought it would be fun for the baby to be different.  She did not agree with us that it was pretty much impossible for us to have a brown-eyed baby :lol:

This baby won't be mixed - my husband and I are both pale with blue eyes and medium-light hair- but I'm still excited to see who he/she looks like.  It's still fun to see my DD grow to have my eyes, SIL nose, etc.

BabyFetus Ticker

• @PaukMeKiande lol my grandma requests a redheaded baby every time I get pregnant. Because genetics don't matter, right?! Good luck Grandma. 
  • Genetics and who kids look like still amazes me. My husband and I both have green eyes so we figured our blue eyed baby's eyes would gradually change to green, but 19 months later they are still blue (which I know is possible genetically speaking, just interesting). He is such a healthy mix of both of us, very much my hair, looks just like my FIL, pastey white skin like me but a lot of my husbands mannerisms. My dad said the other day that my son walks like my husband. I'm anxious to see what this baby looks like and what traits she gets from each of us. The whole miracle of birth (and the science behind it) amaze me daily.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm interested to see what our baby looks like as this is our first! We aren't mixed, I'm just more interested in what genetic traits are going to come out from my side of the family. I'm 40-50% Swedish but people always assume I'm South American (Brazilian to be exact...wha...??), which is funny because I have nothing but Swedish/English/Irish heritage. Also, all but one of my siblings look very Swedish but my sister and I look identical even though we're 10 years apart.

I'm wondering if my Swedish genetics will come out or if my crazy olive skin/hazel eye genetics will be dominant in the baby. My husband has brown hair and brown eyes, as does most of his family, so odds are the baby will have brown hair, brown eyes, and olive skin and will look nothing like their blonde/blue-eyed cousins (from my side of the family). :D   

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Also, my mom's hoping for a blonde blue eyed girl. Because she doesn't understand genetics.

Anecdote- my best friend is a blue eyed, blonde white woman, her husband is Syrian, and their 1.5 year old daughter is a blonde/ blue CLONE of her mother, it's adorable! Also alarming when dad takes her out solo because assholes don't believe she's his ::eyeroll so hard at society::
  • DH and I are both pasty white people with solely European roots (although there's a rumor of a "sliver" of Cherokee on my dad's side - personally, I think his grandpa was pulling Dad's leg, but who knows) so I can't say much on the mixed baby topic other than I think they're gorgeous, but on the topic of surprising genes  - DH and I both have really dark brown eyes, so that was one of the few things that we thought we knew about DD when I was pregnant with her.  Wouldn't you know, that little stinker fooled everyone and has the most beautiful light blue eyes! You really never know what is going to happen!
  • OH's family has some really weird attachment to a story that they're Native American. OH really looks like he's got the heritage--dark skin with red/orange undertones, black hair, high cheekbones, strangely, but we both did 23andMe testing a year or so ago and it said nothing of his heritage. He told his parents about the results and they were very angry and resentful: "Well there's no way that's correct. Your grandmother was a Cherokee..." -- we have no idea what to believe, but I don't really care either way.

I've got purely Germanic roots so my family is nothing but light-haired blue-eyed folk. I am fully expecting our child to look like him, but genetics be crazy so I won't be terribly shocked if we get a blue-eyed baby with curly black hair, fair skin, and high cheekbones. As long as it's ours and we get to take it home!
  • We aren't exactly mixed, aside from hubby being a ginger and me being half Italian half Austrian (but look zero Italian aside from being ridiculously short). Everyone keeps saying they hope this baby comes out a ginger (I'm also hoping for a ginger girl with crazy curly hair and blue eyes) 
    With my first everyone was 100% sure she would be ginger but didn't happen, she has my dirty blonde hair, but crazy curly when mine is dead straight. My mil has those crazy curls that you can pull and they bob back up! 

It's so exciting waiting to see who a baby will look like...I'm betting even more exciting for mixed families, since there are so many different features that are options for baby! I honestly cannot wait for January when we get to post what all our babies look like! 
  • ChaoticWolfChaoticWolf member
    edited June 2016

Also, my mom's hoping for a blonde blue eyed girl. Because she doesn't understand genetics.

Anecdote- my best friend is a blue eyed, blonde white woman, her husband is Syrian, and their 1.5 year old daughter is a blonde/ blue CLONE of her mother, it's adorable! Also alarming when dad takes her out solo because assholes don't believe she's his ::eyeroll so hard at society::
    I mean, I think it's something like 15-25% possible for my child to be a blonde/blue rather than a brown/brown, but it's just less probable than his obviously dominant features. Also, I'll join you in that ::eyeroll::

Edited because the bump ate my post:

Lol @colleenkevin yeah that brown eyed baby would be pretty elusive.

@HJ.Morgan What the what? Still not okay to call your hair frumpy, even if she's 17.
    @PaukMeKiande lol my grandma requests a redheaded baby every time I get pregnant. Because genetics don't matter, right?! Good luck Grandma. 
    My half sister is actually a redhead so I might roll the genetic lottery ( I think it's a very small percent possible, like 2%) and get one myself lol!

Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • DH is reddish/brown hair (that's getting redder in his beard and hair as he ages. His dad is a redhead) and hazel eyes. He has mostly Scottish influences, except for some Native American. He's mostly pasty but he NEVER burns and honestly it's frustrating. I'm mostly of Welsh/Irish decent with skin that does not tan (I freckle or burn instead) and have dark hair and blue eyes. 
    I'm really interested in seeing who our baby resembles more. My side of the family has support prominent features(genes?), but so does DH's. I've never thought about it much till just now! How interesting to consider. :) 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We are a mixed couple.  I am white and Fiance is Cape Verdean.  He has a beautiful complexion.  He already has a 9yr old son who is very light but obviously mixed and I am very similar in complexion to his son;s mother so I assume our baby will be similar in skin tone.  I am hoping for light eyes, though as some of his family has green eyes and it is the most beautiful combination.  I think mixed babies/kids/adults are beautiful so I am excited to see our little one and what he/she looks like.  We have yet to have anyone comment either negatively or positively about the fact that we are a mixed couple.  
  • I'm a asian/white mix and SO is white. My immediate family looks totally different with all of us having different eye/hair color (blue/brown/green/hazel and blond/brown/red). We totally don't look related, lol. So curious how the kids will turn out! I love seeing pictures of other people's families too, its so interesting and so beautiful!
  • Were not a mix but I'm very interested. I'm about half Italian and half German. Pale skin that tans easily (and dark) with dark hair. Hazel. H is half Italian half everything. He's tall dark and hairy with red/green eyes (legit red's a thing). His mom and one (half) sibling are RED hair and he has red tint in his hair. I kind of hope we get a red tinted baby with the olive skin. 
    Though it'd be nice if they got my dad's eyes, a true hazel. Mine are nice but the real hazel can change to all colors - blue, brown, green, and shades in between. I loved seeing my dad's eyes change day to day. Mine are the green/brown we normally call hazel but I at least get all shades in between (p.s. I love my eyes).

My biggest hope is this child will not be overly hairy if a girl. Fine if a boy... but society is rough being a hairy girl (and I got off light). Super thrilled to find out.
  • We are a mixed couple, I am half black and half German, I have super curly brown hair and green eyes. My Dh is half Vietnamese and half Italian, however he definitely looks more Vietnamese. Our one year looks like his dad but has green eyes and blonde hair! We were definitely surprised when the jet black hair he was born with turned blonde!
  • DH and I are a mixed couple. :smile: I'm short and black with brown hair and eyes and he's tall and white with dark sandy blonde hair and blue eyes.

We get asked constantly, "what do you think the baby will look like?" And we always respond with, "Like an Alien." The only thing that concerns me, and my mom because she worries about everything, is when he's out alone with our baby. I don't want anyone approaching him about our child (even though it can't be helped). We live in Northern Virginia and there's been a few instances of dad's being mistaken for kidnappers. 
    Me: 27, DH: 32
    Together: 1/24/11
    Married: 10/11/14
    BFP: 4/26/2016
    EDD: 1/4/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• DH and I are a mixed couple. :smile: I'm short and black with brown hair and eyes and he's tall and white with dark sandy blonde hair and blue eyes.

We get asked constantly, "what do you think the baby will look like?" And we always respond with, "Like an Alien." The only thing that concerns me, and my mom because she worries about everything, is when he's out alone with our baby. I don't want anyone approaching him about our child (even though it can't be helped). We live in Northern Virginia and there's been a few instances of dad's being mistaken for kidnappers. 

I totally understand this. My Dad has very dark skin, but most of us came out very light skinned. All growing up we've had people questioning if he's really my Dad when out and about. Although as the years go by, I think people are learning about mixed families and genetics... lol

raquel87 said:
    We are a mixed couple, I am half black and half German, I have super curly brown hair and green eyes. My Dh is half Vietnamese and half Italian, however he definitely looks more Vietnamese. Our one year looks like his dad but has green eyes and blonde hair! We were definitely surprised when the jet black hair he was born with turned blonde!

Oh my goodness that is so cute!! You just have a little rainbow family going on there, huh??
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • HJ.Morgan said:
    DH and I are a mixed couple. :smile: I'm short and black with brown hair and eyes and he's tall and white with dark sandy blonde hair and blue eyes.

I totally understand this. My Dad has very dark skin, but most of us came out very light skinned. All growing up we've had people questioning if he's really my Dad when out and about. Although as the years go by, I think people are learning about mixed families and genetics... lol

raquel87 said:
    We are a mixed couple, I am half black and half German, I have super curly brown hair and green eyes. My Dh is half Vietnamese and half Italian, however he definitely looks more Vietnamese. Our one year looks like his dad but has green eyes and blonde hair! We were definitely surprised when the jet black hair he was born with turned blonde!

Oh my goodness that is so cute!! You just have a little rainbow family going on there, huh??

We definitely do

My mom has blonde hair and blue eyes. I have 3 brothers and all of us have different pigments of skin color. My youngest brother has the darkest pigment and looks more like our dad than our mother. One day at Sunday school the teacher didn't belive she was his mother, when she went to pick him up. She actually questioned my then 6 year old brother if he knew her and if she was his mother! 
  • sagoonsagoon member
    I think it's hilarious that people are accosting you and demanding to know what the baby will look like.  Like, obv it will look like a human baby, rather than a kitten or a dolphin.  As for coloring, do they think you can look into your uterus and tell or something? 

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im a blonde blue eyed Norwegian and my hubby is a black hair/eyed Colombian with olive skin. Our first daughter is blonde with green eyes. She didn't grow hair until she was 1 like a true Scandinavian lol. Our second daughter has light brown hair and blue eyes. Maybe a little olive skin. She looked 100% indigenous South American when born with a head full of pitch black straight hair. Now it's curly and light brown. We're super curious about this one now. In my culture ppl usually don't have a preference about eye and hair color. But my SO's family constantly talks about how much prettier blue eyes is. They do this in front of kids with brown eyes too. It makes me worried that they will make my kid feel less special if he/she gets brown eyes.  
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    When people ask me what I think the baby will look like, I always answer, "Like other newborn babies" cause I'm a smart-ass. 

But seriously, we're both white, though I'm much more olive toned than H. H has dark blonde hair and light blue eyes, and I have brown hair and light green eyes. As babies/toddlers, we looked so much alike that if you showed pictures of us to someone who didn't know we were married, they'd think we were siblings. Light eyes, white blonde hair. So, I really feel we're having a light hair, light eyes baby. I'll be shocked if it's anything other than that. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Ali GrindellAli Grindell member
    edited June 2016
    I am Afghani and my husband is Cuban. We're both tan but I have more yellow undertones while he has more brown. We both have very dark, course, and curly hair. But his sister has blonde hair, blue eyes, and fair skin (Cubans are very diverse). We like to joke that there's a religious war going on in my uterus, which is why I was so sick in the beginning! :wink: 

Most people just joke that we'll have a super hairy child with really pretty hair but that's about all the commentary we get. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We aren't exactly a mixed couple but my husband has a great great grandma who was native American and he has the darker skin brown hair and hazel eyes. Myself I am pretty pasty with a lot of freckles, red hair and blue eyes. Our DS took after me with the pale skin red hair and he has green eyes. The dominant traits don't always show. I was for sure that he was going to have brown hair. I'm curious to what this LO will look like.
                     Johna and Justin Married since 2011
                     Baby Jasper born 2.23.13 8lbs 15 oz. 
  • I'm white, with straight and fine blonde hair, blue eyes and DH is tan (Guatemalan heritage), thick curly black hair, and light brown eyes with a hint of green.

DD1 is white, dark brown straight hair, blue eyes and DD2 is darker, light brown curly hair, and what we think are probably hazel eyes, sometimes green, sometimes light brown.

No one has ever said anything about the girls not looking like DH, but when DD1 was a baby (much darker when she was little), someone at church mentioned how cute she was and asked me whose baby I was holding! Lol.

Also, we have several family friends who have adopted internationally, and just throwing it out there how rude and insensitive it is for anyone to presume parents and children need to match on the outside.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lmctanlmctan member
    I'm white and my husband is asian. We get that comment all the time but usually it's followed with, they are gonna be so pretty! I think it's pretty common, it doesn't offend me because I don't know what our babies are gonna look like either except maybe like their cousins since his sister is married to a white guy. I am nervous people won't think my maybe is mine, that they will think it's someone elses and I think that would upset me. I didn't really consider it before I got pregnant that our baby won't likely look noticably like me, I know I'll love the baby no matter what but I hope the baby looks at least a bit like me. 
  • Well, we are not mixed, but I have a olive skin tone. The dr asked about our ethnicity, and we pretty much both siad caucasian, but we detailed which countries. The dr must have slept through all that because after that she said good, mixed genes are good! lol
  • I'm white and as pale as can be. Hubby is dark skinned Indian. I'm do excited to see how our baby looks! Being so pale is a pain in the butt so I'm thrilled our little bambino will be tan. Hubby says when we are in public he'll call me the nanny. (He's joking btw!)
  • I guess technically this is us, although I've never thought of it that way. Lol. My husband is adopted, so we aren't exactly sure what he is. He's dark. I think he's probably mostly Hispanic with some Native American mixed in maybe. I am as Caucasian as you can get, blonde hair, blue eyes, can't tan blinding white. 

Our first baby has brown hair and brown eyes. His skin is not as dark as my husband's, but he tans well. I'm sure this baby will probably have the same coloring. I can't imagine my fair complexion would win out. :)
  • aishmcaishmc member
    Late to this party, but we've been getting questions about what our kids would look like since we started dating 7 years ago. I am 100% Irish with pale skin, hazel eyes, and dark brown hair. My husband is Mexican, but since he's tall, very dark skinned, and has a beard people usually think he's Indian. 

I know he's got some very distant Spanish ancestry and has cousins with green eyes, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that we'd have a light eyed baby. I just think it's hilarious when people who have no idea how genetics work say out our baby will look exactly like me due tooverwhelmingly "dominant" genes. 

On the other side, I've also had a few people ask me if it bothers me that my kids won't look like me. 
  • I am pasty white and my husband is very black LOL. Our boys are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I know they are mine, but seriously y'all they are just perfect. I'm so white that sometimes I feel like they look more like my husband's kids than mine lol, but I think it's just bc they are darker complected, tall & skinny like he is lol. But that's ok, I know they are mine lol. Both of my boys have dark hair, and big dark dark brown eyes. So dark that they shine and pick up and reflect light and colors around them- if that makes sense lol. My older son has soft kinky curls, and my younger son has big soft loose curls.
  • On the subject of mixed babies, is anyone else scared to death of Trump winning the election? I hate to bring up politics on a board that's kept it out of the conversation, but I'm having a recurring nightmare about Trump being elected and immediately taking away my husband and baby. I always wake up sweating and shaking afterwards.
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • He is all talk to get people to vote for him PaukMeKiande. I don't think he will do anything drastic at all of he gets into office.
  • Although I did have a night terror about people coming at night to take me away before I was pregnant once. This was before Trump was a thing...
  • I think he's all talk but it terrifies me thinking of someone whose entire campaign is based on hatred leading a country and how much "unity" that brings for supporters of his that want to spread that hatred at a local level :(