October 2015 Moms
Options

Gym daycare

My husband and I recently signed up at a new gym. It's $99/month and includes daycare. It is a brand new facility at a new location, and I knew a few people that said the daycare was really good at the old location so I thought we'd give it a go because I'm huge still and miserable. So we've only brought LO a couple times and today we brought her and the girl in the daycare room was all by herself and there were about 15 kids in there. So I gave her the baby and I asked at what point do they send another person in here with you? And she laughs and says "Good question!" I'm like ummm.. Ok.. So I tell her to come get me if the baby acts up and go to my class. She never comes to get me and after my class I walk in to seriously 20 kids, including my daughter and another baby about her age, and a younger baby in a car seat. And my daughter is sitting in another kids lap?! and the girl working in there is still all alone. I am so bullshit right now. Am I overreacting? I am going to try to talk to one of the owners tomorrow but since gym daycares aren't regulated by the same laws as regular ones I doubt it will do any good.

Re: Gym daycare

• Options
    That's not overreacting at all. That's insane. Even if she was overwhelmed by a baby (any child really), I doubt she could leave the 19 others to go find a parent. I'd complain and ask what the exact guidelines are for number of kids and age ranges vs staff. Sadly, I don't think I'd take her back unless there were more people working. 
  • Options
    Wowww, that's nuts! At our gym daycare, infants under 1 year can only stay for 1.5 hrs and you have to make a reservation. I think they can only have 2 at a time and there are always multiple staff members working there. I would definitely talk to the owners. There has to be some sort of regulation.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Interesting, I'm in NYS and apparently they're not required to be regulated because it's less than 3 hours per day: "In New York, short-term care facilities are not under the state's jurisdiction, according to the New York State Office and Children and Family Services. Under state law, only child care programs that provide care for more than three hours per day per child are regulated."
  • Options
    I looked it up and it is not regulated here either.
    But I did speak with the owners about it and apparently it's a known/ongoing issue. I won't be bringing her back there anytime soon, until I see some improvements and/or she's bigger. So frustrating. 

Any kids regardless of age are only supposed to be there for 2 hours BUT no one has to make a reservation so technically every person using the gym could show up with a child. Which is insane.