June 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding Support

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• arteduc8 said:
    Ugh, my DD nursed every hour or less for an entire 24 hours. I nearly lost it last night. Thank goodness for my DH helping with diaper changes and burping her. She's at about every hour and a half the past few hours, so I'm praying she's done and maybe will finally have longer stretches of 3-4 hours. Any hope that she might start that soon? I miss sleep.
    My DS did the same thing after coming home from the hospital, it was absolutely miserable especially since I hadn't slept much in nearly 48hrs as it was and was dealing with the super fun postpartum recovery (as I know you are too). Like you, my husband was a huge help and I don't think I would have been able to keep my sanity without him! I'm glad your husband is there to provide you with support, it makes a world of difference! By Day 4, his feedings became more spaced out (coincidentally the same day my milk came in, or maybe not-so coincidental?). The night of Day 5, he was sleeping for 2-3 hr intervals at night, woohoo progress! I know we'll probably have a short rough patch of cluster feedings very soon for his next growth spurt but at least now I feel more prepared mentally and physically for it.
  • Thanks for all the support ladies!

Now my current hurdle is mastitis. It hit me like a truck last night after a midnight feeding. Started out as chills that progressed to shaking, horrible body aches, fever, and pain in my breast. I broke down sobbing white laying in bed trying not to wake DH and figure out what the hell was wrong with me. Took Tylenol and missed while massaging the lump which helped some, but still felt miserable after getting a few hours of sleep. Called my OB and they called in a script for an antibiotic and scheduled me for a follow up Monday. This is misery at a whole new level. Anyone else ever deal with this? Any suggestions to help recover? How long did you have it for? 
  • Loading the player...
  • arteduc8 said:
    Thanks for all the support ladies!

Now my current hurdle is mastitis. It hit me like a truck last night after a midnight feeding. Started out as chills that progressed to shaking, horrible body aches, fever, and pain in my breast. I broke down sobbing white laying in bed trying not to wake DH and figure out what the hell was wrong with me. Took Tylenol and missed while massaging the lump which helped some, but still felt miserable after getting a few hours of sleep. Called my OB and they called in a script for an antibiotic and scheduled me for a follow up Monday. This is misery at a whole new level. Anyone else ever deal with this? Any suggestions to help recover? How long did you have it for? 

I've heard that frequently feeding really helps but since you're on medication idk if you're gonna bf with them in your system.  Some people don't mind, some do.  I'd say if that isn't a problem for you do a lot of feeding on that sode and maybe pump the other to keep supply even.  Also change positions like cradle, football and laying down with baby's chin aimed to the top of your breast.  This ensures baby will get the milk drained from all areas and babies are way better at accessing those hard to reach glands that are up near the armpit or against the ribs than a pump ever could.  
  • Went for two week check up and little girl is successfully gaining weight!! Born on the 10th at 6lbs 9oz, dropped down to 5lbs 14oz by the following Monday, back up to 6lbs 2oz by that Wednesday, and yesterday rocked it out at 6lbs 12.8oz. Going back to breastfeeding support center next week for another weighted feed and to check her weight but got cleared to pump less (thank goodness) and keep doing what we are doing!! After a rough start at breast feeding, this was phenomenal news and I felt amazing as well as proud of my little girl for sticking with me while we figured it out.

@arteduc8 sorry about the pain!! From what I've learned and what my friends have said, continuing to feed and feed often with mastitis helps it (but sounds awful to have to do!) Hope it clears up soon!!!
  • arteduc8 said:

So sorry:(  Yes, feed, feed, feed.  
  • arteduc8arteduc8 member
    edited June 2016
    arteduc8 said:

I've heard that frequently feeding really helps but since you're on medication idk if you're gonna bf with them in your system.  Some people don't mind, some do.  I'd say if that isn't a problem for you do a lot of feeding on that sode and maybe pump the other to keep supply even.  Also change positions like cradle, football and laying down with baby's chin aimed to the top of your breast.  This ensures baby will get the milk drained from all areas and babies are way better at accessing those hard to reach glands that are up near the armpit or against the ribs than a pump ever could.  
    Thanks for the tips! DD has been a champ today and really has fed well and frequently which has really helped. Yep, I'm taking the antibiotics and nursing. The doctor says they are totally safe and if I want to continue to breastfeed I don't have another choice. My fever had gone away and the body aches have lessened. Hoping this upward trend continues. 
  • Anyone's experiencing this radiating burning sensation in your chest around your boobs? This is so weird I never had it with my fist but it's like I can feel my body making milk feels like icy hot on the inside but times 10. 
  • Anyone's experiencing this radiating burning sensation in your chest around your boobs? This is so weird I never had it with my fist but it's like I can feel my body making milk feels like icy hot on the inside but times 10. 

Ugh yeah.  I'll feel it on both sides during letdown or sometimes as they start to get full it will tingle.  The letdown has a pins and needles feeling.

Ugh yeah.  I'll feel it on both sides during letdown or sometimes as they start to get full it will tingle.  The letdown has a pins and needles feeling.
    It's totally different then the let down feeling this is happening when I'm not feeding and it's not even my boobs it's like in my chest and rib area. 
  • adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited June 2016
    Anyone's experiencing this radiating burning sensation in your chest around your boobs? This is so weird I never had it with my fist but it's like I can feel my body making milk feels like icy hot on the inside but times 10. 

It's totally different then the let down feeling this is happening when I'm not feeding and it's not even my boobs it's like in my chest and rib area. 
     Are they engorged when you feel it?  Glands can be as far up as under the armpits and wrapped around the ribs.
  • Anyone dealing with an oversupply/ milk imbalance issue already?  I have a heavy letdown that if he lets go it sprays all over the place.  I'm thinking it could be the cause of his gas cause all the symptoms match perfectly.  Greenish poops, gas, gulping, short feedings ect.  I could hand express the foremilk out past the ketdown but won't that just increase supply even more?  I could use some tips.
  • Anyone dealing with an oversupply/ milk imbalance issue already?  I have a heavy letdown that if he lets go it sprays all over the place.  I'm thinking it could be the cause of his gas cause all the symptoms match perfectly.  Greenish poops, gas, gulping, short feedings ect.  I could hand express the foremilk out past the ketdown but won't that just increase supply even more?  I could use some tips.
    My first thought is hand express or pump for a few minutes so he misses the huge let down and can work on getting the hindmilk instead?

Are they engorged when you feel it?  Glands can be as far up as under the armpits and wrapped around the ribs.
    Yes it's usually at night when I'm pretty full. Very interesting. 
  • @adiaz132003 I have a very gassy baby and fast let down as well. I know pumping before is only increasing my supply more but it's helped with LO being less gassy and feeding longer so for now it's what I am doing and at least I'm building a supply. I use my hand pump just to get the let down and get an ounce or two. 
  • @adiaz132003 I have a faster let down on one side as well. Have you tried leaning/reclining back while nursing to try to slow the flow? My LC suggested this and I noticed it helped when DD is gulping and let down is fast. 
  • arteduc8 said:
    @adiaz132003 I have a faster let down on one side as well. Have you tried leaning/reclining back while nursing to try to slow the flow? My LC suggested this and I noticed it helped when DD is gulping and let down is fast. 

Yeah I tried leaning back but he still gulps and chokes.  Especially on my right side it will be so heavy that he will choke and spit it out and it will spray for about 30 seconds then drip for a while. And that even after I and express for a minute.    Now that I recognize the feel of the letdown, I can pop him off before he starts gulping and have a towel ready to catch the spray.  So far today this is working so fx this keeps up.  
  • rbfleirbflei member
    My LO likes her meal in courses. God forbid I rush her. No joke an hour to an hour and a half feed is the usual with plenty of breaks. She just likes to eat a bit then rest and no amount of rooting reflex will make her take a nipple till she is good and ready for the second course. Sometimes she just likes to have her mouth on my nipple but not suck or chew and will wail if I try to adjust her to eat. Granted she sleeps 3-4 hours but the two hour feedings last night took it out of me. I am running out of Netflix options and lanolin.
  • My son only feeds for 10 minutes and only on 1 breast per feeding. I was concerned initially because I wasn't sure if he was getting enough. I met with my LC and she confirmed that if he is draining a full breast during each session, feeding consistently during that 10 minute timeframe, pooping and peeing frequently, and gaining weight then there was nothing to be concerned about. 

I'm still dealing with some engorgement though (not as bad as it initially was and seems to be getting better), so I stay on top of doing feeds every 2-3 hrs. I pump for a couple of minutes just before bed to ensure latching and feedings in general are easier during the night. 

• My son only feeds for 10 minutes and only on 1 breast per feeding. I was concerned initially because I wasn't sure if he was getting enough. I met with my LC and she confirmed that if he is draining a full breast during each session, feeding consistently during that 10 minute timeframe, pooping and peeing frequently, and gaining weight then there was nothing to be concerned about. 

I'm still dealing with some engorgement though (not as bad as it initially was and seems to be getting better), so I stay on top of doing feeds every 2-3 hrs. I pump for a couple of minutes just before bed to ensure latching and feedings in general are easier during the night. 

This makes me feel better my LO usually one nurses 8-12 min on one side and never wants to take the other side. Guess we have some effecient babies!

This makes me feel better my LO usually one nurses 8-12 min on one side and never wants to take the other side. Guess we have some effecient babies!
    It definitely relieved a lot of the stress/worry that I had about how things were going! A couple of my friends experienced the same thing as well, so we aren't alone  :)
  • Pretty sure my baby knows when it is almost meal time for me and starts going bonkers wanting to be fed. Doesn't matter if it has been two hours since her last feeding or 20 minutes. I've had to breast feed at the dinner table multiple times now and have had to arrive late to meals (didn't want to breast feed in front of family) a couple of times. 
  • Pretty sure my baby knows when it is almost meal time for me and starts going bonkers wanting to be fed. Doesn't matter if it has been two hours since her last feeding or 20 minutes. I've had to breast feed at the dinner table multiple times now and have had to arrive late to meals (didn't want to breast feed in front of family) a couple of times. 
    Same here.  It gets better - they really do get into a more predictable routine (this is my third).  Hang in there.  If you can get comfy, it will make it easier if you are ok just nursing her anywhere.  Then you won't feel like a shut-in.  Good luck!
  • So here's a little update.  The past two days I've been doing some hand expressions and trying to catch the letdown in order for DS to get more hindmilk and not gulp so much.  Worked great during the day but at night he still grunts and kicks like he's passing something.  No crying but it keeps us awake.  Then this morning he couldn't be put on his back cause he'd start squirming and kicking then came the screaming.  I feel so bad for him but nothing seems to work.

My little guy is pretty similar. He finishes one side in about 10 min and isn't usually interested in the second side. I try not to worry about it, because he dirties plenty of diapers and has surpassed his birthweight. 
  • So here's a little update.  The past two days I've been doing some hand expressions and trying to catch the letdown in order for DS to get more hindmilk and not gulp so much.  Worked great during the day but at night he still grunts and kicks like he's passing something.  No crying but it keeps us awake.  Then this morning he couldn't be put on his back cause he'd start squirming and kicking then came the screaming.  I feel so bad for him but nothing seems to work.
    Mine does something similar at night. She was sleeping on our chests because for some reason at night time she seemed miserable. Last night i fed her from one breast, burped and changed her then swaddled her and fed her from the other. She fell asleep and I transferred her in to her crib and she slept like a champ! No grunting or flailing or seeking to be fed again. Worked all three times last night after feedings. 

Are you able to burp him well as he feeds? Mine gets fussier for sure if she has a burp stuck or needs to poo.
    Mine does something similar at night. She was sleeping on our chests because for some reason at night time she seemed miserable. Last night i fed her from one breast, burped and changed her then swaddled her and fed her from the other. She fell asleep and I transferred her in to her crib and she slept like a champ! No grunting or flailing or seeking to be fed again. Worked all three times last night after feedings. 

Are you able to burp him well as he feeds? Mine gets fussier for sure if she has a burp stuck or needs to poo.

Stuck in the box

At night he doesn't burp as well.  I could try the swaddle and see if that helps.  He kinda rolls in the co sleeper though and with his arms free he can keep his face away from the edge.  But maybe for his naps during the day in his crib this will help 
  • @June2016BabyW you are my new best friend!!! I fed him, burped him and put him in a Swaddle Me vest while he was still milk drunk and he didn't even need his binky to fall asleep in his crib and he hasn't been grunting loudly either!!  I could kiss you! Creepy sure but I don't care. Hahaha
    I got the advice from my sister and when my girl slept by herself I felt like I had won a grand prize!!! I'm so glad it worked for you as well and glad your little guy is more content. Woo hoo!!
  • So I know the 'rules' have changed since I have had my daughter, what was everyone told about drinking alcohol and breastfeeding? We hardly touched on the subject in my breastfeeding class and I'm curious what everyone was told.
  • So I know the 'rules' have changed since I have had my daughter, what was everyone told about drinking alcohol and breastfeeding? We hardly touched on the subject in my breastfeeding class and I'm curious what everyone was told.

I've been enjoying an occasional drink but it's only been like light beer/malt drinks so low alcohol content.  I believe as long as you don't feel the effects then it shouldn't transfer.enough to effect your baby.
  • My breastfeeding course discussed it. You no longer have to pump and dump. Some alcohol can transfer through breast milk but only a small portion of it. The advice was, if you are going to have some drinks, have them, preferably feed right before you do, and try to wait till you aren't feeling the effects any more before you feed again. Same as it works its way out of your system (wouldn't be detected in a urine or blood test after a period of time) it won't be detected in breast milk. Keep in mind it takes a person, on average, an hour to metabolize one drink (a beer, a shot, a glass of wine). Higher the alcohol, the longer it takes to metabolize.
    my class said that if you feed and then have a drink immediately after you don't have pump&trump. But she emphasized it being only one drink and about watching your portion sizes aka no "college pours" haha
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • rbfleirbflei member
    Help. Lopsided milk productions. Right side is a super producer and the left is slowly decreasing. Like 5oz on the right when I pump and 2 on the left. I make her nurse more on the left and am going to try to pump every two hours on the left only but I was wondering if there was any more I could be doing. It is super frustrating. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • purplefan1purplefan1 member
    edited June 2016
    My left outproduces my right often by a noticeable amount. She still seems happy nursing on either side so I'm not too concerned. I read that one breast will often produce more. Sounds like you have a good plan for keeping the supply up. And you can always talk to a lactation consultant if it doesn't seem to be helping.

ETA: I'm super impressed. I've NEVER come close to 5oz from one breast in one pumping session! I was stoked to have a combined 3oz during my pump this morning!
  • rbfleirbflei member
    Ha ha. Don't be too impressed I have had to specialty order some bras in sizes I didn't know existed. I just home they go back down after breastfeeding ends.
  • Just got home from the hospital, so sorry if this was addressed earlier in the thread. Anybody dealing with a tongue tie? LO had one but has still been doing an ok job of latching. I've been doing football hold and lots of breast massage while feeding, which makes it difficult to have a hand free to tickle her to keep her awake and sucking.

Any other suggestions for dealing with tongue tie until we can get it taken care of?
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Ha ha. Don't be too impressed I have had to specialty order some bras in sizes I didn't know existed. I just home they go back down after breastfeeding ends.
    Where did you order from? I'm in desperate need for a good nursing bra. I'm just out of the range of sizes available in stores it seems. 
  • rbfleirbflei member
    Bravado designs. I got two types the original nursing bra and the signature nursing bra. So far I like the original one better for comfort. Shipping was reasonably quick and price was normal for a decent quality bra. I ordered online at bravadodesigns.com
  • Bravado designs. I got two types the original nursing bra and the signature nursing bra. So far I like the original one better for comfort. Shipping was reasonably quick and price was normal for a decent quality bra. I ordered online at bravadodesigns.com
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'd been looking at bravado, so I'll check those styles out. I would love to find a lined nursing bra. Most the ones are soft cup which do nothing to conceal breast pads or a cold chest. Or if they are lined, they are underwire.  
  • meggyme said:
    Just got home from the hospital, so sorry if this was addressed earlier in the thread. Anybody dealing with a tongue tie? LO had one but has still been doing an ok job of latching. I've been doing football hold and lots of breast massage while feeding, which makes it difficult to have a hand free to tickle her to keep her awake and sucking.

Any other suggestions for dealing with tongue tie until we can get it taken care of?
    We're dealing with the same thing. Can't get seen until July 15 (DS will be 4weeks). Laid back position really helps and feeding more frequently to keep him from getting overly frustrated.