Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

26 TTC with hypothyroidism

hi my DH and I have been TTC for over a year now and we have not been successful. He has 2 children from a previous marriage. We are not using OPKs and I'm trying to temp but I'm horrible at remembering or I end up getting out of bed before I remember. I had my thyroid removed in 2012 because it was three times the size it was suppose to be. I'm just praying that this cycle is it. I'm looking for people on here that are supportive and are there when I need them. I have my husbands support but we are keeping it a secret from family and friends because of the problems it may cause some issues and I'm not that confident I would have there support. 

Re: 26 TTC with hypothyroidism

• Options
    If you're looking for a supportive board you have found it!  Read the thread at the top of this board called NEWBIES READ THIS FIRST - it will teach you a ton.  Participate in the two week wait/waiting to ovulate daily threads.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsFL2015MrsFL2015 member
    edited June 2016
    hi my DH and I have been TTC for over a year now and we have not been successful. He has 2 children from a previous marriage. We are not using OPKs and I'm trying to temp but I'm horrible at remembering or I end up getting out of bed before I remember. I had my thyroid removed in 2012 because it was three times the size it was suppose to be. I'm just praying that this cycle is it. I'm looking for people on here that are supportive and are there when I need them. I have my husbands support but we are keeping it a secret from family and friends because of the problems it may cause some issues and I'm not that confident I would have there support. 
    Welcome!  I agree with the PP about reading the Newbie Thread and lurking around a bit.  If it helps, I don't temp in bed.  I get up and immediately go to the bathroom and temp.   This is my 3rd cycle charting, but I don't see any errors.  I still have clearly defined temps/shifts and have always been able to pinpoint my fertility window and AF.  You might want to try it this way and see how it goes.   

Have you spoken to your doctor about your thyroid and TTC?  I would think given your medical history they would have some solid advice for you.    

• Options
    MrsFL2015 said:
    Welcome!  I agree with the PP about reading the Newbie Thread and lurking around a bit.  If it helps, I don't temp in bed.  I get up and immediately go to the bathroom and temp.   This is my 3rd cycle charting, but I don't see any errors.  I still have clearly defined temps/shifts and have always been able to pinpoint my fertility window and AF.  You might want to try it this way and see how it goes.   

Have you spoken to your doctor about your thyroid and TTC?  I would think given your medical history they would have some solid advice for you.    

As far as when you temp, how immediately after waking you temp I think largely depends on the person.  I have to temp IMMEDIATELY after waking up or else my temps are way higher.  Even if I stay laying in bed and just lay there not moving it gets higher.

I would instead suggest setting an alarm that goes off every single morning a tiny bit earlier than you normally wake up.  You will know that this alarm is for temping so you wont forget anymore.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. My tsh is all over the place it has never been normal range since they took it out she recently switched my mediation so waiting to see if this will help the lowest level I have ever had is 5.65 and now just a couple weeks ago it is 14 but I also was sick and ended up on antibiotics she told me that that can affect my level as well. I have tried setting an alarm but I still forget I'm gonna take your suggestion of just temping even though I got up already. Maybe leaving my thermometer on the bathroom counter isn't a bad idea. I have spoken to my doctor she referred me to a ob/gyn which then tested me for PCOS and other lab work. They concurred that because I was on birth control before and after my thyroid I never had real cycles there were all synthetic. So now that I'm getting cycles and they are all over the place. She wanted to wait a little longer and retest my lab work but I haven't been back to see her yet. I have an appointment with my PCP on Wed to follow up from when I was sick. Since we just started opks and temping more consistently in the last month or so my DH and I were going to try this for another cycle or 2 because then we have the data to take back to her of how much we have tried. Not to mention it's hard I have had cycles that have been over 100 days apart. They are starting to be closed the last one was 36 which is the shortest one I have had. 
  • Options
    The bathroom counter may be too far. I leave mine on the nightstand right next to my bed so I only have to move one arm to get it. 
  • Options
    *lurker...siggy/ticker warning***

@Leighangel89 it's recommended that your TSH be below 2.5 while TTC and for the first trimester to reduced the risk of miscarriage and fetal developmental issues, so you may want to work at getting it lower before TTC, especially since once you get KU the demand on your thyroid increases and you'll have to work at rebalancing levels to keep it below 2.5. I had my thyroid removed a year ago for a suspicious nodule and it took a few months to regulate my TSH before my endo gave the all-clear to TTC. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

**Lurking from July and TW - m/c mentioned**

OP when I was temping I set my alarm for 3am.  This was the point in the night that I had slept consistently for the longest stretch.  It also helped me remember to temp because, why else would my alarm be going off at that time?  I set my alarm to vibrate, put it and my thermometer under my pillow.  When it went off I simply took my temp and went back to sleep.  Once I was up for the day I would turn the thermometer back on and record the temp (mine displayed the last temp taken when turned on).  My alarm never woke DH and I think he woke up to the beep the first couple days but then slept through it.

Also, like the PP said, thyroid function is critical in the first trimester.  I had an early m/c last year that I'm pretty sure my thyroid played in to.  At that time I wasn't great about taking my meds and my levels were wacky.  Obviously I can't be sure, but it's my opinion that at a minimum my poor functioning thyroid played a role.  I would strongly suggest working to solve that part of the puzzle!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    *lurking from November and loss TW*

Definitely get your TSH lower and managed. 

my TSH was around 5 (high end of normal) for years before TTC, but docs never mentioned it. I mentioned at my last physical (April 2015) that we planned to TTC Soon. They tested my TSH as usual and lab results said Normal (again, high end of normal) 

fast forward to December 2015. After 6 months of tracking CM, temping, OPKs, still no BFP. (I know it can take a year, but I got a little concerned) Something made me look at my TSH lab work from April and bring it up to my OB. She agreed it was way too high for TTC and put me on synthroid. I got a BFP in January, but had a loss at 5 weeks. My TSH had not gone down at all after 4 weeks on meds, and they upped the dose. Got my BFP for this baby in February. My levels were under a 2 finally. 

It could be coincidence, but I think it's possible I had just enough of the synthroid in my system to get pregnant the first time, but not enough to sustain it. This time I had much better levels and think that's why it worked out. I have no proof of this, but it kind of makes sense. 

I'm hoping you are able to work with your doc to get your levels where they need to be and that works for you! Good luck!
    Me: 32 DH: 31 Married since 2010
    MC January 2016
    BFP February 2016 Baby Girl born 11/2016
    BFP 8/16/2018 EDD 4/29/2019 MMC 10/3/2018
    BFP 12/16/2018 EDD 08/26/2019 MC/CP 12/20/2018
    BFP 03/28/2019 EDD 12/07/2019 Hoping for our rainbow

• Options
    ***LURKING & TRIGGER WARNING IN SIGGY***

I have hypothyroidism (although still have my thyroid). I didn't get pregnant until I saw an Endocrinologist and got my TSH levels below 2.5.I also never ovulated on my own until my levels got below 3.5.
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    They have no proof but they don't think my thyroid has been right since before high school As in my school pictures it looked like I had thyroiditis on and off. Also my endo told me 5 might be as low as we can get it she didn't seem too concerned as of right now. She wanted cycle to become more normal since she upped the dose they have gotten closer together. She changed to a different medication that I don't have to take on an empty stomach it seems to be helping me I don't have any weird side effects. Hopefully my level will be low since my PCP seemed to think it was high last time because I was sick and my white blood cell count was over 13. I pray that someday mine can be that low. And I know it will surely help with TTC