2nd Trimester

Middle of Chest Pain

Hello!  i am 23 weeks pregnant and for the past several weeks have been experiencing heart palpitations, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, and a constant pain in the center of my chest.  My doctor has performed an EKG and an Echocardiogram, both came back normal.  What's concerning me the most is this constant pain in the center of my chest.  It hurts worse when I breathe in deep and it feels like I am being stabbed with a knife every time I sneeze and it hurts that bad for awhile after the sneeze.  Has anyone had this type of chest pain?  I just want to feel better and am not sure what I should do in the meantime while waiting for my appointment in two weeks to be fitted for a Holter monitor:(  I've had heartburn and this is definitely not heartburn as the pain is excruciating when I sneeze. 

Re: Middle of Chest Pain

• Have you asked your doctor specifically about the sneezing/deep breathing pain? It sounds like you're getting all the right tests for your heart, but if I were you I'd also ask about getting my lungs looked at. The pain you describe would concern me. Have they ruled out a potential blood clot?
  • I had heart palpitations when I was only 4-6 weeks along. My cardiologist said that it was due to the fact that my body was pumping more blood because of the pregnancy. I even had a flow murmur all my life, and get little twinges here and there, but nothing to the extent that you're describing.  

I agree with PP that they should also be checking out your lungs since breathing is an issue. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello!  i am 23 weeks pregnant and for the past several weeks have been experiencing heart palpitations, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, and a constant pain in the center of my chest.  My doctor has performed an EKG and an Echocardiogram, both came back normal.  What's concerning me the most is this constant pain in the center of my chest.  It hurts worse when I breathe in deep and it feels like I am being stabbed with a knife every time I sneeze and it hurts that bad for awhile after the sneeze.  Has anyone had this type of chest pain?  I just want to feel better and am not sure what I should do in the meantime while waiting for my appointment in two weeks to be fitted for a Holter monitor:(  I've had heartburn and this is definitely not heartburn as the pain is excruciating when I sneeze. 
    If it hurts when you take a deep breathe then it's not heart related. Heart pain is not caused from breathing deep. Sounds lung related or could also be inflamed cartlige in your rib cage. I used to have that and anti inflammatories were the main thing that helped but of course you can't take that right now. A good way to test to see if that's it is if you push in the area that's aching it'll hurt! Tylenol will probably end up being your BF if that's the case. I would see about maybe getting a work up on your lungs done.
    Expecting baby #1 August 2016 
    Already have three furbabies- Blake, Sydney, and Chester 

• kcolly32 said:
    Hello!  i am 23 weeks pregnant and for the past several weeks have been experiencing heart palpitations, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, and a constant pain in the center of my chest.  My doctor has performed an EKG and an Echocardiogram, both came back normal.  What's concerning me the most is this constant pain in the center of my chest.  It hurts worse when I breathe in deep and it feels like I am being stabbed with a knife every time I sneeze and it hurts that bad for awhile after the sneeze.  Has anyone had this type of chest pain?  I just want to feel better and am not sure what I should do in the meantime while waiting for my appointment in two weeks to be fitted for a Holter monitor:(  I've had heartburn and this is definitely not heartburn as the pain is excruciating when I sneeze. 
    If it hurts when you take a deep breathe then it's not heart related. Heart pain is not caused from breathing deep. Sounds lung related or could also be inflamed cartlige in your rib cage. I used to have that and anti inflammatories were the main thing that helped but of course you can't take that right now. A good way to test to see if that's it is if you push in the area that's aching it'll hurt! Tylenol will probably end up being your BF if that's the case. I would see about maybe getting a work up on your lungs done.
    Wss. Costal Chondritis look into it, another name for it is pleuritic chest pains. 
  • I've had something very similar last time but it was very early on (about 8 weeks) and it ended up being my gallbladder. I told my dr about the symptoms and they had no reasoning. A few months later I actually had an attack and the er didnt know what it was either. Until I talked to my primary care dr who decided it was either hiatial hernia or gallstones. An ultrasound showed the gallstones which they said more than likely related to pregnancy. 
  • @honeybeewebb2424 did you have to have your gallstones taken out?  I've been in pain like this for 2 months now and just want to know what could be going on with me:(
  • @HMcDade1 when I push on the sternum area, even really hard, there's no pain but I'm still going to bring this up to my doctor at my next visit.  
  • I actually had my gallbladder taken out. My dr said that since they were likely from pregnancy they would just develop again and that it was less invasive to remove it all together. Its worth bringing up to get checked. The symptoms are so similar to so many other things but if it leads to an attack youll know it. Many mistake it for a heart attack. Good luck and I hope that your dr can diagnose and help you out!
  • I'm no expert, but this sounds like gallstones.  Preggo women are very susceptible to gallstones.  Talk to your DR.

IVF #1 Oct 2013- cancelled 
    IVF #2 Mar 2014- success.... baby girl born 11/28/14
    FET #1 Mar 2016- baby boy due 12/16/16

• This happened to me at 13wks and they thought it was asthma. It's mostly subsided, but laying on my side seems to help a lot. Hope they figure it out!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • It could be your gallbladder! That happened to me when I was pregnant with my first child.
  • I had several of those same symptoms early on including the chest pain....ended up being anemia. They can check for it with routine blood work and it's treated with iron supplements. Once I started the iron my symptoms resolved and I haven't had chest pain since. It's a delicate balance though so make sure you are tested before you supplement! I know this is an old post, but just in case someone else picks up the thread. 
  • I had several of those same symptoms early on including the chest pain....ended up being anemia. They can check for it with routine blood work and it's treated with iron supplements. Once I started the iron my symptoms resolved and I haven't had chest pain since. It's a delicate balance though so make sure you are tested before you supplement! I know this is an old post, but just in case someone else picks up the thread. 
    @kstokees85 This is an old thread. I am sure OP has already had her baby and has gotten the chest pain figured out / taken care of.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker