December 2015 Moms

Baby Led Weaning

Hey everyone!  I know a lot of babies are getting ready to or already are eating solids. Has anyone tried baby led weaning and how is it going?  We plan to start in a few weeks when my son turns 6 months. 

Re: Baby Led Weaning

• Yes, it makes me a bit nervous and haven't given her much but we've tried toast, pasta noodles, chicken. She just started to get the hand to mouth thing down.  
  • We've done bananas, avocado, watermelon & crackers. She def prefers it over purées (we've done both).  It's slightly terrifying but so far she hasn't choked 
  • Loading the player...
  • We started letting DD have cherrios and that was a bit scary. She loves them and has done great with them. DS doesn't like the plain ones we give her so they've been nice to give her some and he has his food (she was stealing food like animal crackers and has managed to eat a few of those). We've also done rice rusk (sometimes dipped in purees) peas, avacado, squash. Planning to try green beans and sweet potato soon. She hated banana and the next day had hives so I don't think we'll try that one again. Also curious to try spaghetti squash.
  • She likes to hold bananas and gnaw at them- we just keep an eye out so she doesn't break off too much! She's also taken to nibbling cucumber spears with supervision and seems to think rice rusks are real food. :)  She already digs pears, avocado, winter squash and sweet potato, but is still figuring out how to handle mashed foods without help from a spoon...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Recommend the Rapley and Murkett BLW book... Did it with DS starting 6 months and he loved it. Avocado, banana, cucumber, sweet potato, baked apples were first foods. There's a companion cookbook too with recipe ideas! DS choked once, on watermelon a few months in. Was my fault, I didn't cut/prep it well and it wasn't soft enough. I didn't have to intervene, because he had been manipulating food in his mouth for some time, he worked it out himself. That's one of the perks of BLW.... Starting with DD next month!
    -LJ
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This sounds fun! I'm starting at 6 months with BLW, I will check out that book!
  • Starting BLW tomorrow! Very nervous about it because most people I talk to think it's insane not to start with purées. Starting with sweet potato tomorrow. Any pointers? 
  • We started with avocado and banana, she got 99% of it in her lap / on her face to start with, but eventually got the hang of getting it in her mouth! She LOVES mandarin oranges and chicken, and now we're pretty much giving her finger-sized pieces of whatever we're eating. Our pediatrician said to introduce meat right away, not just fruit and veggies. I also highly recommend the books on BLW - we have several. The cookbook one is awesome! 
  • Cut them into sticks he can easily grasp and long enough he can bring to his mouth! Have fun!
    -LJ
    BabyFruit Ticker