December 2016 Moms

Video monitor recommendations - STM's

I need to replace our video monitor, seeking recommendations!

We had an audio-only monitor that we used from the time the DS was born until this past fall when it died. They weren't too upset that it died because it was given to us second hand and so lasting over a year and a half was pretty good. I didn't think when I was pregnant with DS that I really cared about whether or not we had a video monitor; however, since we needed to replace our monitor I decided to spring for one. I bought a DXR-5 by Infant Optics and, at the time, they had excellent reviews and I loved it!! I have definitely decided that video is the way to go! :smiley: However, we have only had this one 6 months and it has totally crapped out :-( The video quality got very very grainy starting about 2 weeks ago, so bad I can hardly see DS, and there is nothing we can do about it. I went back to Amazon and the reviews as of late have been terrible so I know it's not just me and they just confirmed that they are going to offer us a refund.
So! I am looking for a video monitor, with the following specs:

- Has multiple channels so I can toggle btw rooms
- Has a battery option on both the camera and the monitor. I learned the hard way that if the video portion has to be plugged in, as with the one we are currently returning, then during the crazy thunderstorms that we have in Texas if the power goes out or even if it blinks temporarily, the camera reset button has to be hit and that really doesn't work since most of the storms come at night

TIA!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Video monitor recommendations - STM's

• For DS we had a Summer Infant and it was wonderful for 3+ years.  It started acting up so I recently researched new monitors and had so many mixed reviews on dual camera monitors and the inability to hear sound.  I ended up purchasing the V Tech double Owl monitor.  I bought it from BRU on my 'registry' since now I have a year to return it.  If I realize it doesn't work well once the babies are here and DS, I can return it and get something else.  So far I'm happy with it, but only using it in DS' room.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Just wondering, is there any benefit to having a specific video monitor marketed towards baby vs. getting some kind of home security system with video cameras? My parents have Vivint and it came with 2 video cameras, and they can check it from their smartphone. Just an example. I actually don't know if that monitor covers sound or just video. Just wasn't sure if anyone's looked into that as an option.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just wondering, is there any benefit to having a specific video monitor marketed towards baby vs. getting some kind of home security system with video cameras? My parents have Vivint and it came with 2 video cameras, and they can check it from their smartphone. Just an example. I actually don't know if that monitor covers sound or just video. Just wasn't sure if anyone's looked into that as an option.
    Hey @ashleaf2018.  I've not tried them, but I've heard those apps are less than helpful if you don't have them open, meaning they glitch in the background and you get nothing if they're off.  I've also been told you can't see multiple cameras on those apps either.  I know couples who have to both have their phones on using the app so they can see two rooms. I'm sure some systems are better than others.  For consistency sake, we like having one parent unit we can leave with family.  Worth looking into... After having a 'normal' sound/video monitor with DS, I wasn't interested in these.  But I'm a creature of habit.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• JEM525JEM525 member
    We love our Motorola MBP33S Digital Video Baby Monitor, it has an outside video monitor option which I like, when my son wants to play on our deck and I'm cooking dinner. And the range on its great! You can add cameras to the monitor.  The only thing I would warn you about the monitors that hook up to a smart phone is like anything they can be hacked. There have been a couple cases so research the brand if you are going in that direction and follow there safety guide lines. 
  • aframe77aframe77 member
    edited June 2016
    I really like our ibaby monitor because we can both check on him from anywhere with our phones. We had trouble with the range on other monitors as well as only having one reciever.  It has sound and multi-camera options as well as the ability to stream music directly from our phones. We have had it for several months and have had no issues with the video or audio feed.  It's a little pricey but it has worked out well for us. 
  • I don't remember the exact model but we have a Motorola 2 camera monitor. It was great for about 15 months then the sound totally cropped out. We now have the video still set up but also a cheap audio monitor is DD room. We will move one camera into the new kids room and I bought another cheap audio monitor. I couldn't justify another 150+ on a new video one. I would not recommend what we have (though it had great reviews at the time)...but Motorola has completely changed it anyways. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• dmontgodmontgo member
    edited June 2016
    I'm still trying to decide if we will need a monitor. We live in a two-story house, but it's small enough where we could easily hear if baby was crying upstairs. For the first little bit, baby will be in our room.

Are monitors a necessity or just great if you're in a large house?
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    I'm a FTM, but I will say from my nanny experience and watching my niece and nephew a lot, a video monitor is a must for me. Not a newborn immediate must, but when baby moves to her own room. 

There are a lot of times I would watch the baby wake up and cry a bit but you can see them settling them self back down..finding their lovie/paci/whatever and going back to sleep. Sound alone I probably would have gone in. When the baby is bigger..year-18monthish it's nice to be able to talk to them through the monitor. Sometimes they just need a little reassurance you're still there, but don't necessarily need you coming in. 

Thats just my two cents/experience though. I plan to get one, but it will probably be one of the last purchases, maybe even ask for it for a Christmas gift instead. 
  • @cgss11 Thanks for sharing your experiences! I don't think I would go in every time baby made a sound, but good point about the older babies needing some reassurance. I didn't think about that!
  • jennbaylor12jennbaylor12 member
    edited June 2016
    dmontgo said:
    I'm still trying to decide if we will need a monitor. We live in a two-story house, but it's small enough where we could easily hear if baby was crying upstairs. For the first little bit, baby will be in our room.

Are monitors a necessity or just great if you're in a large house?
    I tell everyone after having DS, the only things you Need are away to feed them, diapers, some type of clothing, a place to put them down to sleep and you :-) With that being said, I think in a two-story house it's definitely important to have at least an audio monitor. Some of their sounds are so faint, especially when they are younger, that you wouldn't hear them if you had the TV on or were playing the radio or a video game, even if you had the volume down and it's nice to know when your baby is awake even if you wouldn't go running in just because they are. Also, I kept DS in my room until he was 6 months due to not wanting him to be upstairs when were downstairs due to SIDS risk and I will do the same thing with this baby so if you plan on doing something similar you wouldn't need the monitor right away. However, even with DS being downstairs in my room when we were downstairs, sometimes it is hard to hear them if you're doing something else, like mentioned above, and it was still nice to have the monitor :smile:
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm probably weird but I was so paranoid with my first that I put the monitor near the pack and play IN MY BEDROOM. like literally 10 feet away. I had a c section and couldn't get up to "check that she's still breathing" every 10 minutes...so I watched her chest movement on the video monitor. That wore off after about a month. Oops. I'm hoping I'm not as paranoid this time,but we will see haha. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• TollerToller member
    I LOVED having the monitor as DD got older  (was in our room for 5 months) because body language was so helpful to see in addition to the noise in regards to what the cry really meant. It's a great peace of mind as well.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @dmontgo - I would say a video monitor is a necessity.  It's probably not something you'd miss when the baby is contained, but once you have one you won't be able to live without it.  You can go sit on your deck with H at night (and have a few drinks and relax) , do yard work during naps, and go about your life within a 1,000 foot range without wondering how baby is doing.  It allows me to focus on the task at hand rather than listening or coming inside to check if I hear anything.

I would say it's a must when you have a toddler who can get out of bed.  They're fast, sneaky and get into trouble VERY quickly if not being watched.  At least my DS does. 

Pregnancy Ticker     

• @sourlemon - when DS came home from the NICU he slept in a rock and play right next to my side of the bed.  It was about a month post cesarian so I had healed pretty well, but I literally slept with my hand on his chest.  

First time moms - I don't say this with any kid of 'you don't know' tone but you're about to become legitimately crazy when your baby(ies) are born.  I never thought I'd panic about the things I did.  Anything that helps you feel like baby is safe is worth the $ in my opinion.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• FTM, and following this post! We plan on getting a video one... there are just SO many options out there. We would just feel more comfortable having a video screen to check on the baby than just a regular monitor. Especially when we have them in their room, which is downstairs and we're upstairs.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• We had an audio only  monitor in his room until he was about 7  months old and was consistently rolling over. I'd walk in and he'd be face down on the mattress sometimes so at that point we picked up a video monitor and took away the swaddle. We have the motorola let them dream and love it. It's a clear picture, it pans really well so you can scan the whole room (super nice when you have a toddler who doesn't stay in bed), and you can get one that has two cameras and the parent base. It also plays music from the set if you want baby to listen to lullabies and a bunch of other neat features.

The downfall with the security system monitors and the ones that operate with wifi  is people can hack into them and see what's going on. I've heard a bunch of horror stories about people talking to babies through the monitors and using them to see what's going on and if someone is home so they know to rob the house or something.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Following.

We want a video one for when baby gets older, just don't know which one to get! 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • Thank you ladies--did some research and added a video one to my Amazon registry from Infant Optics for now. Lots of good video reviews that showed how it works, and of course excellent written reviews as well. I had been considering Hello Baby at first, but I really liked how the IO monitor could pan electronically and comes with a wide-view lens. Going to keep looking at other options, but so far this feels like a good fit for my active family.

@DiFazette I especially like I can sit outside and read a book without worrying. Thanks! 
  • Honestly, I've gotten way more use out of it as they've grown.  Early on (first year) it was helpful to see if they were actually napping or if they were settling themselves after fussing, but now I use it to tell them to lie down, or get back in bed, or stop climbing on that, etc.  Having the two way sound is clutch, allows me to parent from anywhere instead of having to constantly go into the room.
  • We definitely plan on keeping baby in our room for at least the first 6 months, possibly longer. Plus our apartment isn't that big. That being said, I'm sure at some point baby will stay with FI's parents so I'm thinking about getting an audio monitor for their house.
  • This is probably a stupid question but I'm asking anyways as I'm a FTM And I really am curious. Our neighbors will have a baby that will be a few months older than ours. I know that the old monitors that are just sound could possibly pick up their baby if we were on the same channel. Is this a possibility with the video ones too?  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml